Silver Slugger awards announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Slugger awards announced

If J.D. Martinez has been stewing over not being an MVP finalist, he can take consolation in becoming the first player to win a SS award at two different positions in the same season. He got it as DH, of course, but also in the OF, with Trout and Betts. And maybe Bregman feels the same way, getting the nod over Ramirez, who is an MVP finalist.

Quite the year for Mookie. Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, MVP almost certainly, and WS ring.

CATCHER
    AL: Salvador Perez, Kansas City Royals
    NL: J.T. Realmuto, Miami Marlins

FIRST BASE
    AL: José Abreu, Chicago White Sox
    NL: Paul Goldschmidt, Arizona Diamondbacks

SECOND BASE
    AL: Jose Altuve, Houston Astros
    NL: Javier Báez, Chicago Cubs

THIRD BASE
    AL: Alex Bregman, Houston Astros
    NL: Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies

SHORTSTOP
    AL: Francisco Lindor, Cleveland Indians
    NL: Trevor Story, Colorado Rockies

OUTFIELD
    AL: Mookie Betts, Boston Red Sox; J.D. Martinez, Boston Red Sox; Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
    NL: Christian Yelich, Milwaukee Brewers; David Peralta, Arizona Diamondbacks; Nick Markakis, Atlanta Braves

DESIGNATED HITTER
    AL: J.D. Martinez, Boston Red Sox

PITCHER
    NL: German Marquez, Colorado Rockies
    Last edited by Stolensingle; 11-08-2018, 06:02 PM.

Nick Markakis? Really? With his 117 OPS+ and 14 homers?

Bryce Harper, despite having a down year for him, would have been a much, much better choice.

34 HR, 130 BB, 100 RBI, 103 R, 133 OPS+. But 'oh noes he only hit .249'. Blah!!
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 11-08-2018, 09:53 PM.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
      Nick Markakis? Really? With his 117 OPS+ and 14 homers?

Bryce Harper, despite having a down year for him, would have been a much, much better choice.

34 HR, 130 BB, 100 RBI, 103 R, 133 OPS+. But 'oh noes he only hit .249'. Blah!!
      Aren't you the only poster on the board who has Schmidt and Mathews in the middle of the top 10 on the 3B thread. Que pasa?

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post

Aren't you the only poster on the board who has Schmidt and Mathews in the middle of the top 10 on the 3B thread. Que pasa?
        You got me there. I've just never been a Schmidt fan, I admit that I probably underrate him.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

You got me there. I've just never been a Schmidt fan, I admit that I probably underrate him.
          I just was surprised or amused. An emoji would have helped. If we had to be consisted 100% we wouldn't be able to post anything.

Comment

Count me in as someone who thinks Markakis didn't deserve the award. I can just imagine the future screams of super-casual Braves fans who will get upset when the Braves don't re-sign a player that won a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger.
            46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Not a fan of Mathews, either? Until Schmidt came along, Eddie Mathews was the best third baseman in history.
              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                Not a fan of Mathews, either? Until Schmidt came along, Eddie Mathews was the best third baseman in history.
                Not according to the people who insisted it was Pie Traynor. ; )

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post

Good grief.

Speaking of Braves infielders, I thought Freddie Freeman would win this, but they gave it to Goldschmidt. It just seems like every time the Mets play the Braves, Freeman kills us.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Or Brooks Robinson.
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                      Good grief.

Speaking of Braves infielders, I thought Freddie Freeman would win this, but they gave it to Goldschmidt. It just seems like every time the Mets play the Braves, Freeman kills us.
                      Obviously they weren't impressed by his singles and doubles and liked Goldschmidt's 10 more homers instead.

Comment

The problem i have with Martinez's getting a SS for the OF is that it presumes that only rate stats matter. He had the third highest wRC+, after Trout and Betts, so by that metric, it's the right choice. But he played only 38% of his games at that position. Assuming his production while playing the OF was about the same as while playing DH, he had about 19 Off RAA as an OFer. That puts him behind many AL OFers, including Haniger, Castellanos, Hicks, and Benintendi.

If only rate stats matter, there are more than half a dozen catchers more worthy of a SS than Perez.
                        Last edited by Stolensingle; 11-09-2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post
                          The problem i have with Martinez's getting a SS for the OF is that it presumes that only rate stats matter. He had the third highest wRC+, after Trout and Betts, so by that metric, it's the right choice. But he played only 38% of his games at that position. Assuming his production while playing the OF was about the same as while playing DH, he had about 19 Off RAA as an OFer. That puts him behind many AL OFers, including Haniger, Castellanos, Hicks, and Benintendi.

If only rate stats matter, there are more than half a dozen catchers more worthy of a SS than Perez.
                          The awards algorithm needs re-writing.
                          2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Count me in as someone who thinks Markakis didn't deserve the award. I can just imagine the future screams of super-casual Braves fans who will get upset when the Braves don't re-sign a player that won a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger.
                            Why would Markakis want to leave Atlanta? Why would they want to let him go?
                            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank View Post

The awards algorithm needs re-writing.
                              When they revealed these on the MLB network they said they are voted on by managers and coaches.

19th Century League Champion
                              1900s League Champion
                              1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
                              1950s League Champion
                              1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
                              1960s League Division Winner
                              1970s League Champion
                              1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
                              1980s League Champion
                              All Time Greats League Champion

Comment