Yankees sign LeMahieu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees sign LeMahieu

Jan. 11, 2019: The Yankees have signed SS DJ LeMahieu to a two year deal. Maheiiu, 30, led the National League in battting with a .348 Batting average in 2016. He has hit ..298 for his career with 1,026 hits in 955 games. He has had three .300 seasons in his career (2011-2018). His 2011 rookie season was with the Chicago Cubs and the past seven seasons were with the Colorado Rockies.

Hard to see them signing Machado now. They have signed LeMahieu and Tulo, to go along with Gregorius, who will be out with an injury for a while, Torres and Andujar. That's five players for three positions--2B, SS and 3B. The Yankees apparently plan to play LeMathieu at 1B sometimes, but that still leaves no room for Machado, unless they trade Andujar, and still that would leave Tulo as a bench player when Gregorius returns, and they would have to juggle LeMahieu, who has very little experience at 1B, with Bird and Voit. A game of musical chairs with someone losing.

Maybe the Yankees are convinced the can't sign Machado, but otherwise this deal seems to make little sense. Even assuming no Machado, it doesn't seem that great a move.
    Last edited by Stolensingle; 01-11-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post
      Hard to see them signing Machado now. They have signed LeMahieu and Tulo, to go along with Gregorius, who will be out with an injury for a while, Torres and Andujar. That's five players for three positions--2B, SS and 3B. The Yankees apparently plan to play LeMathieu at 1B sometimes, but that still leaves no room for Machado, unless they trade Andujar, and still that would leave Tulo as a bench player when Gregorius returns, and they would have to juggle LeMahieu, who has very little experience at 1B, with Bird and Voit. A game of musical chairs with someone losing.

Maybe the Yankees are convinced the can't sign Machado, but otherwise this deal seems to make little sense. Even assuming no Machado, it doesn't seem that great a move.
      That 2007 Rockies team that got to the World Series was driven by Tulowitzki, Maat Holiday and Todd Helton. Tulo was quite a player a dozen years ago, but since then his effectiveness has been curtailed by injuries and aging. I see that he only played in 86 games and only had 241 at bats in 2018. LeMahieu should get the bulk of the starts at SS, with Tulo serving as a backup at a couple of positions.

Comment

Le mahieu can't play short. I guess it will be tulo and torres sharing time at short until didi comes back.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Well, it should be interesting to see how the Yankees will use LeMahieu, a recent National League batting champion (2016), with a .298 career average, and what role they'll have in store for him.

Comment

He might benefit from the short porch at YS - he hits almost exclusively opposite field and he hits the ball hard. If he elevates a little bit more I could see him hitting 20 jacks or so.
            Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

I know the Yankees are essentially made of money, but $12 million a year for a fifth infielder for any length of time is just stupid.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X