Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nick Markakis:Surprising Lack Of Inrterest KIn Markakis In the Free Agent Market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Markakis:Surprising Lack Of Inrterest KIn Markakis In the Free Agent Market

It's kind of odd that Nick Markkis hasn't been snatched up by some team that needs a good outfielder like Nick Markakis. I know he carried a huge salary last season, but isn't this true of every player who has been in the majors as long as Markakis has (13 years 2006-2018) and been an everyday player throughout their career, like Markakis. Perhaps he has "priced himself out" of anyone taking a chance on him repeating his 018 success.
    It seems like Markakis can't find a suitor for his services despite having his first all-star year in 2018 for the Braves. He played in all of the Braves' 162 games on last year's schedule. Markakis will only be 35 in the 2019 season and he's coming off one of his career's best seasons.
    Here's Markakis' 2018i and career numbers.

2018i: Games: 162 Hits 185 Home Runs 14 RBI 93 Batting Average .297 (Was a National League starting All-Star Outfielder (1st time all-star) and Played every game on the schedule.
    Career: Games 2001 Hits 2237 Home Runs 179 RBI 969 Batting Average .288.

Probably because he is a 2-win player asking for 4-win player money because he and his agent think FOs around the league are still stupid enough to pay massive amounts of money for a bunch seasons just for hitting close to .300. This ain't 1999 anymore and they aren't. A 117 OPS+ for a mediocre fielding corner OFer is not really a SUPER valuable commodity. And that was his BEST season since Obama's 1st term.

Most teams can pull up a 2-win player from their minors for free.
    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 01-14-2019, 06:17 AM.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Markakis is mediocre, at best, for a major league starting outfield. He's coming of a mediocre year, which was his best since 2009, in which he posted a 117OPS+ 12Rbat 6RAA 2.6rWAA 0.4rWAA 1.8Btwins 1.0WPA 23.5RE24 2.3REW He also had a putrid postseason of .083/.267/.083 He also recently turned 35.

HIs remarkable durability is his greatest strength. He only has a career 110OPS+ 113Rbat 36RAA 32.4rWAR 3.7rWAA, hardly formidable numbers. Markakis shouldn't be signed for anything over a two year contract, with a team option for the second year with a salary of 3-4 million a year.
      Last edited by NJRob65; 01-13-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

"Surprising" to whom?
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

This isn't a surprise at all. Markakis really isn't that good. He pretty much had his best season in a long time and it was built on a red-hot first half. His second half? .258/.332/.369. I don't usually throw WAR around, but this is kind of telling: Markakis's BBRef WAR last year, 2.6 (which really isn't even that special), is more than his previous two years (1.7 and 0.7) combined. You don't pay big money for that kind of production. The Braves could stick Johan Camrago, who's almost entirely unexperienced, in right and he'd get more WAR than that.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

All this being said... if the Braves have to re-sign Markakis, something has gone seriously wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
              All this being said... if the Braves have to re-sign Markakis, something has gone seriously wrong.
              I think the Braves do have to resign Markakis now. Why wouldn't they?
              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

I think the Braves do have to resign Markakis now. Why wouldn't they?
                They don't. They can do better than him. I'm utterly convinced they're going to have to replace him at some point in the season because he's just not that good anymore.

Comment

He's also now on the wrong side of 35. Not every player can be Omar Vizquel or John Olerud.

Comment

They don't. They can do better than him. I'm utterly convinced they're going to have to replace him at some point in the season because he's just not that good anymore.
                    He just was an all-star, GG, SS winner that hit cleanup for a division winner and he's going to come cheap. He knows everyone in the organization and is by all accounts a great guy. If they need to cut him they have a built in excuse - he's old. What is the downside?
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

He just was an all-star, GG, SS winner that hit cleanup for a division winner and he's going to come cheap. He knows everyone in the organization and is by all accounts a great guy. If they need to cut him they have a built in excuse - he's old. What is the downside?
                      The All-Star is a quirk of fate, he didn't deserve the Silver Slugger and I can only marginally defend him deserving the Gold Glove. And he'd better come cheap because if he doesn't, it's a waste of money.

The downside is he's 35 and hadn't posted this good a season since 2012. And it was largely based on the strength of the first half of the year. He was incredibly pedestrian in the second half:

419 PA - .323/.389/.488
                      286 PA - .258/.332/.369

Frankly, I think it's easy to guess that he's going to be closer to the second half of last season. He was never that first half good at leading up to his time in Atlanta, especially when he was recovering from his injury. Why should I expect it from him again?

Comment

The All-Star is a quirk of fate, he didn't deserve the Silver Slugger and I can only marginally defend him deserving the Gold Glove. And he'd better come cheap because if he doesn't, it's a waste of money.

The downside is he's 35 and hadn't posted this good a season since 2012. And it was largely based on the strength of the first half of the year. He was incredibly pedestrian in the second half:

419 PA - .323/.389/.488
                        286 PA - .258/.332/.369

Frankly, I think it's easy to guess that he's going to be closer to the second half of last season. He was never that first half good at leading up to his time in Atlanta, especially when he was recovering from his injury. Why should I expect it from him again?
                        I've seen the stats. I understand what you're saying. Going by WAR as you've been pointing out he had the same WAR from '14-16 as he did in '12. He's always made good contact and hit for good average (.288 career), had a good eye and doesn't strike out a lot. Teams don't shift on him. He can hit to the situation and bat anywhere in the order. He's not going to pull an Adam Dunn and hit .170 and be worthless. For his career he hits .282 against RHP and .291 against LHP. He's also a reliable glove on the outfield corners. He doesn't make dumb mistakes in the field or on the bases and is a good model of professionalism for young players to follow. He's a team player that wouldn't complain about being platooned (unlikely anyways) or coming off the bench if the young and promising Camargo begins to really break out. Having a guy that can hit lefties and righties equally can save a roster spot for a relief pitcher. Which is a great advantage in the N.L. without the DH. They're probably going to get him for less than $10 mil. Again, I don't see a downside.

Comment

Look, I'm convinced it's not going to go well if he comes back. That's it. You can't convince me otherwise.

Comment

I've seen the stats. I understand what you're saying. Going by WAR as you've been pointing out he had the same WAR from '14-16 as he did in '12. He's always made good contact and hit for good average (.288 career), had a good eye and doesn't strike out a lot. Teams don't shift on him. He can hit to the situation and bat anywhere in the order. He's not going to pull an Adam Dunn and hit .170 and be worthless. For his career he hits .282 against RHP and .291 against LHP. He's also a reliable glove on the outfield corners. He doesn't make dumb mistakes in the field or on the bases and is a good model of professionalism for young players to follow. He's a team player that wouldn't complain about being platooned (unlikely anyways) or coming off the bench if the young and promising Camargo begins to really break out. Having a guy that can hit lefties and righties equally can save a roster spot for a relief pitcher. Which is a great advantage in the N.L. without the DH. They're probably going to get him for less than $10 mil. Again, I don't see a downside.
                            Right. Nobody is saying he is trash. Just that you can get 2 win players even a lot cheaper than what he is asking for.
                            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Let me put it this way: I'd rather them trade for Nomar Mazara and I don't think he's very good. That's how much I don't trust Markakis producing going forward. You'd think the same way after having him for four years. I will admit that he at least provided a sold batting average, as I defended him on that front in the past. But that's it. That's all he had to hang his hat on for a long time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X