Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last decade since NYY didn’t make World Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last decade since NYY didn’t make World Series?

Is this going to be the first one?

Yankees failed to make World Series in the decade of 1910-1919 the last time this happened. Starting in 1920, the Yankees have made the World Series in every decade until the present one.

Comment

Yeah, I've been aware of this for a while. The 1980s was the first decade since Ruth when they didn't win a WS, and this one could be the first without a WS appearance. They barely missed in 2017, of course, and they will almost certainly get another postseason shot this year.

Comment

I'm strongly hoping that 2010-2019 joins 1910-1919 in the 'No Yankees World Series appearances in a Decade' category!

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
          I'm strongly hoping that 2010-2019 joins 1910-1919 in the 'No Yankees World Series appearances in a Decade' category!
          The Phillies have two World Series wins in 135 years LMAO.
          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
          2. Barry Bonds
          3. Ty Cobb
          4. Ted Williams
          5. Willie Mays
          6. Alex Rodriguez
          7. Hank Aaron
          8. Honus Wagner
          9. Lou Gehrig
          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Three LCS appearances and the fact that they won in 2009 doesn't make this decade *seem* like a drought the way the 1980s did though it would be annoying to see this run of one pennant in a decade end.

Of course the Yankees also have to deal with the fact they haven't won a championship in a GOP presidency since 1958!

Comment

Originally posted by epaddon View Post
              Three LCS appearances and the fact that they won in 2009 doesn't make this decade *seem* like a drought the way the 1980s did though it would be annoying to see this run of one pennant in a decade end.

Of course the Yankees also have to deal with the fact they haven't won a championship in a GOP presidency since 1958!
              I never really thought about that. But it's true.
              I see this past decade as different from the 78-96 or the 62-77 droughts. The Yankees have still been in contention most of the past decade. They may have won the most games in the '80s. But near the end of the decade and early in the '90s they were darn awful.
              Don't get me started on the late '60s and early '70s. It was hard growing up a Yankee fan back then, especially when the METS won a World Series.
              27 World Championships
              22 retired numbers
              Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
              Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post

I never really thought about that. But it's true.
                I see this past decade as different from the 78-96 or the 62-77 droughts. The Yankees have still been in contention most of the past decade. They may have won the most games in the '80s. But near the end of the decade and early in the '90s they were darn awful.
                Don't get me started on the late '60s and early '70s. It was hard growing up a Yankee fan back then, especially when the METS won a World Series.
                I've always wondered about this. For a short time 1969-73 were the Mets actually more popular than the Yankees in NYC? I ask this because I always thought it was interesting that Oscar Madison wore a Mets hat on the TV show The Odd Couple which ran from 1970-75. From 1969-76 the Mets had a winning record in seven of eight seasons including two pennants. I checked the Yankees records during this period and their records were not awful. Their worst season was only 80-82 W-L and they did have a 93 win season in 1970 and finished in second place twice. The Yankees (.532) did have a better winning percentage than the Mets (.520) from 1969-76.
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by epaddon View Post

Is it time for MYGA hats (Make Yankees Great Again)?
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

The Yankees were already losing the PR war to the Mets even before their pennant days in the 60s ended because once Shea Stadium opened and offered New Yorkers a modern facility right next to the World's Fair whereas Yankee Stadium was still showing its age and wasn't fan friendly, the Mets surged ahead in attendence. Once the Mets won in 69, the Yankees became more of an irrelevance. Yes, 70-73 the records with the Mets were comparable but the Yankees weren't drawing well in a collapsing ballpark and the team was devoid of charismatic figures at that point, and they also weren't offering major challenges in the pennant race.

1970, they were second but it was an uncompetitive second. 1972, the arrival of Sparky Lyle did give them a boost but they did a hard fade in late August and in 1973 after being in first place for a couple months they nosedived to a sub-500 record.

They started to close the gap in 74 when they challenged the Orioles up to the last day of the season but 76 was the breakout year for the Yankees in becoming New York's team through the mid-80s. The Mets were getting stagnant and then of course in 77 you had the Yankees winning it all with Reggie whereas the Mets destroyed themselves with the Seaver trade and bad ownership. Only then was the image of NY as a Mets town broken. The pendulum swung back to the Mets in 1984 when they became competitive again while the Yankee ran into their 80s inertia of being above average but not good enough and also having more meddling by Steinbrenner. The Mets were unquestionably #1 in New York up to 1993 and it's been Yankees ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
                      That would be mighty sweet. A decade of defeat for the Yankees.

Comment

Not exactly defeat! The Yankees have had two monster streaks when it comes to over .500 finishes: Including their current 26 straight over .500 finishes - (What was once commonly referred to as 'WINNING SEASONS') (1993 - ) and their record streak of 39 straight over .500 finishes (1926 - 1964).
                        Last edited by philliesfiend55; 02-12-2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

The Phillies have the same number of World Series wins as the Mets or Marlins or Royals.
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I can't have a little fun at the Yankees expense? Calm Down, "Yankees Defender". I've also given them credit where credit is due. (See post # 12).
                            This was meant to be sent to Giambi Juice, but somehow I failed to click the 'Quote" prompt. - philliesfiend55.
                            Last edited by philliesfiend55; 02-12-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

philliesfiend55

Today, 10:14 PM

I can't have a little fun at the Yankees expense? Calm Down, "Yankees Defender". I've also given them credit where credit is due. (See post # 13).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X