Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new rule changes

Among those announced are:

1. Reduce commercial breaks from 2 min 25 sec to 2 minutes (this is one change EVERYONE can enjoy)
    2. $1 million for winning the HR derby. Will some sluggers who have passed on this now participate? Also, for AS game only, if it goes into extra innings, those innings will begin with a runner on second.
    3. Number of mound visits per game w/o a pitching change reduced from 6 to 5. Not much.
    4. DL returns to 15 days from 10 days.
    5. Here's a pretty big one: Relievers now have to face a minimum of 3 batters, or finish the inning, whichever comes first. Someone has already pointed out that a team might get around this by exceeding the number of mound visits allowed. At that point, one rule dictates the pitcher be removed, the other that he can't be. Another creative way of getting the reliever out early would be for him to get ejected intentionally. Stay tuned.
    6. Rosters expanded to 26. No change in pitcher limit, so far.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mlb-anno...2019-and-2020/
    Last edited by Stolensingle; 03-15-2019, 05:23 PM.

All good, although I couldn't care less about the HR derby and AS nonsense.
    It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

The real question remains enforcement. New rules, schmools. Considering how the 'new' rules have been enforced upon batters and pitchers which have been created in the name of increased pace of play, lets wait and see. Thats, wait and see for the prima donna players, managers, and GMs to throw a fit through the media for being singled out.

Go ahead, single someone out, and then keep enforcing from that point forward. Someone has to be first.
      Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

The first use of the runner on second rule came in the Giants-Angels game. The players didn't know that. When the Giants reliever took the mound in the top of the tenth, and saw a runner on second, he thought it was a joke. Even with that big boost in RE, the Angels couldn't score, and neither could the Giants in their half of the tenth, so the game ended in a tie, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post
          The first use of the runner on second rule came in the Giants-Angels game. The players didn't know that. When the Giants reliever took the mound in the top of the tenth, and saw a runner on second, he thought it was a joke. Even with that big boost in RE, the Angels couldn't score, and neither could the Giants in their half of the tenth, so the game ended in a tie, anyway.
          This is troubling - the fact that they're experimenting with this stupid rule change in Spring Training and the All-Star Game leads me to believe they want to implement it into the regular season.

This is just wrong on so many levels. How do you account for this runner on second? How did he get there? If he scores does he get credit for a full run scored, even though he started out halfway home? I'm all for speeding up the pace of play, but this is overkill.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            This is troubling - the fact that they're experimenting with this stupid rule change in Spring Training and the All-Star Game leads me to believe they want to implement it into the regular season.

This is just wrong on so many levels. How do you account for this runner on second? How did he get there? If he scores does he get credit for a full run scored, even though he started out halfway home? I'm all for speeding up the pace of play, but this is overkill.
            I agree, this rule goes against the spirit of the game. If you're going to score a run, you need to earn it. This rule belongs in tee ball, not the majors.

And there are so many questions. Who is the runner? Is he someone already in the lineup? Is he a pinch-runner taken off the bench? How is he accounted for in the box score? What if the batter hits a home run? Does he get two RBI when a solo shot would've been enough to win it?
            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Giants pitcher Jeff Samardzija thinks they should just have ties. He wants a system like the NHL, three points for a win, one for a tie. He makes the point that no one on the field--players or managers--wants to play extra innings, when they have another game to play the next day. I'd just count a tie as half a win.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post
                Giants pitcher Jeff Samardzija thinks they should just have ties. He wants a system like the NHL, three points for a win, one for a tie. He makes the point that no one on the field--players or managers--wants to play extra innings, when they have another game to play the next day. I'd just count a tie as half a win.
                I guess the Players Association/Union think they should get OT pay for extra innings. As much as I'm all in for nearly anything to speed up the pace of play, adding some sort of gimmick to extra innings is stupid. As for calling it a tie after 9, when of the greatest things about baseball is that you can't sit on a lead and let the clock run out, the other side gets the same number of outs and the game is played to completion.
                It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X