Who are the Shortest & Smallest Successful MLB Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the Shortest & Smallest Successful MLB Players

I just brought home a brand new "Street And Smith's (pre-season) Baseball Magazine, something I haven't bought for decades. It features the 40 man rosters of every team in baseball and among the multitude of information this magazine provides is each player's height and weight. It's easy to see that the major leagues have become "The Land Of The Giants" and that players (particularly pitchers) just seem to keep on getting bigger and bigger Houston's Jose Altuve (5' 6", 165 lbs.) is the rare exception and in fact he is in a virtual tie with Miguel Cabrera for having the highest career batting average of any active player (.316). The Phillies second baseman, Cesar Hernandez (5'10, 160 lbs.) is also a successful little Mighty Mite, but how many other rarities of the short and small player variety can you name in the game right now, who are enjoying a degree of success and are not being overpowered by their much larger contemporaries?

Jose Ramirez (the third baseman, not the pitcher). Listed at 5'9", 190 lb. Betts is 5'9", 180.

Comment

Dustin Pedroia is listed at 5'9", 175 lbs, but I think he may be stretching his height.
      R.I.P. Scott Sanderson (1956-2019)

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
        Dustin Pedroia is listed at 5'9", 175 lbs, but I think he may be stretching his height.
        Pedroia is nowhere near 5'9". He's about 5'6" at most. I realized this when he was in an ESPN commercial with American middle distance runner Jenny Simpson who is listed at 5'5".

Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 03-16-2019, 08:25 PM.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Roman Quinn, the Phillies Reserve outfielder, is listed as 5' 10' 170 lbs.

Comment

There are lots of players around 5"10
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Jose Altuve is around 5'4".
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                Jose Altuve is around 5'4".
                Wow! That's even shorter than the 5'6" that he's officially listed at.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                  There are lots of players around 5"10
                  Ye,s but a lot of 5'10" players are more more like 180 or 185 lbs. with plenty of muscle, developed in the weight room. 5'10 170 lbs. is still on the slight and slender side an it's certainly far below average by current standards. A hitter this size can be overpowered by 6'5 or 6'6" husky pitchers who bring a lot of heat to the plate......and you rarely see pitchers who are around that size today. There are no more Ron Guidry-like pitchers working in in the majors these days - none that can be successful in today's game any way!.
                  Last edited by philliesfiend55; 03-19-2019, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post

Wow! That's even shorter than the 5'6" that he's officially listed at.
                    A BBF member has met Altuve in person. He told us that Altuve was just barely taller than his 5'3" wife and more than two inches shorter than his 5'7" twelve year old son.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post

A BBF member has met Altuve in person. He told us that Altuve was just barely taller than his 5'3" wife and more than two inches shorter than his 5'7" twelve year old son.
                      Because of his height, the strike zone that's called against Altuve is warped. Umpires have in their heads a zone that fits a player about 6 feet or taller, and when they superimpose that on Altuve, he gets very generous calls calls on low pitches, but has a zone well above the usual placement for other players. And for a monster like Aaron Judge, it's just the opposite. He tends to get strikes called on pitches below the knees. This seems to be one of the problems with robo-ump technology, by the way, particularly when even players of the same height can have different zones, depending on how they stand at the plate.

Comment

Altuve and Pedroia were the first names that sprung to mind when reading the thread title. I hope the former's knees hold up better than the latter's.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X