Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bonds retiring after 2006

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bonds retiring after 2006

    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

  • #2
    I just read the story myself. Hopefully he is done, but I've learned to take whatever he says with a grain of salt. $5 says he's on the DL by June.
    WAR? Prove it!

    Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Zito75
      I just read the story myself. Hopefully he is done, but I've learned to take whatever he says with a grain of salt. $5 says he's on the DL by June.
      He wont retire.

      He isn't gonna walk away from 15-20 mil per year as a dh in the AL.

      According to Barry ... "I could hit a baseball like this until I'm 50, but I'm not going to stop playing until I can't do it on the same level as I'm used to."

      If Bonds was that sensitive, he wouldve retired in 1990. Mood swing... nothing more. In Aug/Sept He'll be saying something completely different.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't know folks ... those knees are pretty bad. This may be an indication of how bad his knees really are. He may not be recovering as quickly as previously thought of. And, after close to a full season in left field again ... I think it could be very likely that he calls it quits after this season.

        Comment


        • #5
          Right now he is 47 hrs away from Aaron

          If it was the last day of the season, and Bonds was sitting on 46 hrs, I would have no problem walking him everytime he comes to the plate. I do not want to see his name beside, or even ahead of Aaron's, for the most career hrs hit in MLB history.

          I do believe that if he is within 5-10 hrs away from the record at the end of the year, he will come back next year, probably in the AL as a DH, to pass that record of 755.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'll believe it when I see it. Though, Bonds always seemed more concerned with passing Ruth than with passing Aaron.

            Comment


            • #7
              Unless his knee's really messed up, I'll consider #714 to be the 3rd highest total very shortly. Of course, if he retired with 713, which is the number that Henry Aaron had after the 1973 season, I wouldn't complain too much if he retired. However, I won't cuss him personally.

              Had he hit 40+ jacks last season, I believe that #755 would be in great jeapordy right now. However, as the years advance, the same production becomes less likely, especially after knee & hip operations (I could be off on which was operated upon).

              Anyway, I figured that if healthy, he'll have 740 at the most at the end of 2006. I can't fathom that he'd just start knockin' 'em out this season.

              If anything, his IBB total could always skyrocket, even if merely to insure that he never gets the big hits. In his case, I wouldn't complain too much.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

              Comment


              • #8
                You'll get no tears from me on this announcement.
                EAMUS CATULI!
                AC036198

                Comment


                • #9
                  I hope he hits 60 home runs and breaks Aaron's mark, just because I'm tired of everyone saying they dont want him to

                  It will be the same way when A-Rod and/or Pujols approaches the record, they will find something bad about them and bash them the entire time...

                  I hope Bonds keeps playing and breaks the record

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Astro
                    I hope he hits 60 home runs and breaks Aaron's mark, just because I'm tired of everyone saying they dont want him to

                    It will be the same way when A-Rod and/or Pujols approaches the record, they will find something bad about them and bash them the entire time...

                    I hope Bonds keeps playing and breaks the record
                    I both agree and disagree with you. Aaron put up with a lot of guff when he was approaching Ruth's record, as did Maris when he approached the single-season record. In general, I think the public has its preferences and darlings and would only support one of those players achieving those records. For example, if Mantle had broke the career or single-season record, I'm sure he would have been greatly supported. Another example is Mark McGwire in '98, he was fully embraced by America, Sosa too for the most part.

                    However, I do think there is good reason for the public to not like Bonds right now, and I don't think A-Rod or Pujols would encounter this kind of scrutiny/criticism if they approached the record. Other than be generally surly and offstandish (which is something I personally don't hold against a player) there is the steroid speculation. Sure it all may be unfounded, but it is that speculation that is fueling the public disdain for Bonds (in addition to his surliness). A-Rod and Pujols do not have such a spectre over their heads, and thus I don't believe they will encounter the kind of public resistance that Bonds has encountered.

                    As for why the public didn't like Aaron and Maris, I can only speculate since I wasn't alive yet, but I'm guessing with Aaron it had a lot to do with race, and with Maris it had to do with the fact that he wasn't Mantle.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DoubleX
                      I both agree and disagree with you. Aaron put up with a lot of guff when he was approaching Ruth's record, as did Maris when he approached the single-season record. In general, I think the public has its preferences and darlings and would only support one of those players achieving those records. For example, if Mantle had broke the career or single-season record, I'm sure he would have been greatly supported. Another example is Mark McGwire in '98, he was fully embraced by America, Sosa too for the most part.

                      However, I do think there is good reason for the public to not like Bonds right now, and I don't think A-Rod or Pujols would encounter this kind of scrutiny/criticism if they approached the record. Other than be generally surly and offstandish (which is something I personally don't hold against a player) there is the steroid speculation. Sure it all may be unfounded, but it is that speculation that is fueling the public disdain for Bonds (in addition to his surliness). A-Rod and Pujols do not have such a spectre over their heads, and thus I don't believe they will encounter the kind of public resistance that Bonds has encountered.

                      As for why the public didn't like Aaron and Maris, I can only speculate since I wasn't alive yet, but I'm guessing with Aaron it had a lot to do with race, and with Maris it had to do with the fact that he wasn't Mantle.
                      When A-Rod and Pujols get close they will be scrutinized due to their last names....

                      I can see it now: A-Rod being scrutinized for signing such a large contract with the Rangers and "not being a team player" and only playing to make money

                      Pujols because he is not American, and while the majority of people dont mind if a hispanic player breaks the record, the minority will voice their displeasure about it, about how a white person, or even just an American, should break the "American" record

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DoubleX
                        I both agree and disagree with you. Aaron put up with a lot of guff when he was approaching Ruth's record, as did Maris when he approached the single-season record. In general, I think the public has its preferences and darlings and would only support one of those players achieving those records. For example, if Mantle had broke the career or single-season record, I'm sure he would have been greatly supported. Another example is Mark McGwire in '98, he was fully embraced by America, Sosa too for the most part.

                        However, I do think there is good reason for the public to not like Bonds right now, and I don't think A-Rod or Pujols would encounter this kind of scrutiny/criticism if they approached the record. Other than be generally surly and offstandish (which is something I personally don't hold against a player) there is the steroid speculation. Sure it all may be unfounded, but it is that speculation that is fueling the public disdain for Bonds (in addition to his surliness). A-Rod and Pujols do not have such a spectre over their heads, and thus I don't believe they will encounter the kind of public resistance that Bonds has encountered.

                        As for why the public didn't like Aaron and Maris, I can only speculate since I wasn't alive yet, but I'm guessing with Aaron it had a lot to do with race, and with Maris it had to do with the fact that he wasn't Mantle.
                        You'll have to remember that Hank ended the 1973 season with exactly 713 jacks. That gave every idiot out there open license to get torment him and treat him like he didn't exist. There were also several attempts on his life. Thankfully, he survived that brutal winter.

                        Hank Aaron: Hammerin' back at racism

                        As to Maris and Mantle, well, Mantle was a home-grown Yankee who had about the best looks of a baseball player. He was a wonderful player who ran like a deer and was very jovial and open with the crowd. By comparison, Maris wasn't too press-friendly, standoffish to some, and didn't have Mantle's good looks nor baseball achievements.

                        Around September 1961, Mantle got his leg in a cast, so he only ended up with 54 dingers. People pretty much wanted him to get it.

                        Hank ... he had to deal with lots of harsh treatment that winter, and being one shy of a record many presumed belonged exclusively to a white man wasn't exactly in Hank's favor. Many people didn't want him breaking that record and had no problems letting him know this in no uncertain terms.
                        Last edited by Mattingly; 02-19-2006, 05:18 PM.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Astro
                          When A-Rod and Pujols get close they will be scrutinized due to their last names....

                          I can see it now: A-Rod being scrutinized for signing such a large contract with the Rangers and "not being a team player" and only playing to make money

                          Pujols because he is not American, and while the majority of people dont mind if a hispanic player breaks the record, the minority will voice their displeasure about it, about how a white person, or even just an American, should break the "American" record
                          All depends upon the overall attitude people have, as well as who you ask. There have been many who've felt that baseball has benefitted from the presence of Hispanics, just as boxing has benefitted from the Dominican and Puerto Ricans. People may need to decide for themselves what an "American" is.

                          To me, he plays here, so if one of them breaks it, I'm fine.

                          I'd be more expecting to hear of A-Rod's somewhat aloofness with the press and that he'd signed as a Yankee, than anything else.

                          As to playing for the money only, after it was obvious that Texas' Tom Hicks couldn't afford him anymore (and possibly made things difficult for him to be there), he went to a team that gave him a chance. Up to the whole team what happens thereafter.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ndistops
                            You'll get no tears from me on this announcement.
                            Same here. Especially from SoCal.
                            SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                            "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think many baseball fans want the past to remain so it will be well remembered. I don't want Bonds to reach Aaron's record.

                              Thats just 'cause I don't like him, though.
                              GOT ALBERT?
                              St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
                              http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X