X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sox off to rotten start

Short analysis of what's going wrong in Boston
    mlbtalk.home.blog/2019/04/11/title-defence-off-to-a-rotten-start/

From Day One, the Sox in 2018 had this fan convinced that too much was going right for their W/L record to translate to alltime great team. Performance must hold up over time, even if one season's W/L does not. And so, the 1954 Indians played well enough to win at least 88 games out of 154 for 9 consecutive years; Earl Weaver's Orioles also won at least 88 games every year from '69-'80 except strike-shortened 1972; the Dick Williams/Alvin Dark Oakland A's won at least 88 games 7 consecutive years from '69- '75. There are plenty of other examples.

Boston has had losing seasons in '12, '14, and '15. Their team roster had plenty of turnover since the previous WS Champions of 2013. Consistency just hasn't been there. So, even with my family in the area and my NL bias/Cardinal support included, I wasn't drinking the Koolaid here.

But then, Red Sox fans might have their own short memories. Lest I type that franchise's name, which franchise had to go on a tear in 1978 to repeat over the Sox? That team had a record of 47-42 as late as 07/17/78. Can't seem to make the fingers remember them........

A team is never as great as their best, and neither as bad as their worst. If they can win this year, they will. Time will tell.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

The offense will come around but sale seems to be compromized and probably hurt. Also it was a mistake to let the best reliever walk and don't do anything to replace him. I mean I understand you don't want to overpay for kimbrel but then you have to do 2-3 smaller pen moves to compensate and the sox did not do that.
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Even though, yes, they are back home for another 4-game set with the woeful O's after tonight, there is something to be said for the long cross-coast road trip to start the year... homefield matters.
        But, more importantly, everyone in the rotation is getting absolutely shelled, and homer-prone. Sale's second start (the 1-0 loss to the A's) is the only QS among the 12 made so far by the front five, and it seems like there has been an inning early in every game where they blow up (see Eovaldi allowing 3 homers against the Mariners–two in the first inning–and Price's second inning on Saturday against the D-Backs.)
        Beyond Sale/Price/Porcello the depth is lacking. Eovaldi needs a definitive role one way or the other. And Eddy Rodriguez, as much as I like him... dude just can't keep his pitch count down to save his life. He is destined for middle relief/spot-starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Brosefsson View Post
          Short analysis of what's going wrong in Boston
          mlbtalk.home.blog/2019/04/11/title-defence-off-to-a-rotten-start/
          Lol, cool user name.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

Lol, cool user name.
            Lol, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post
              Even though, yes, they are back home for another 4-game set with the woeful O's after tonight, there is something to be said for the long cross-coast road trip to start the year... homefield matters.
              But, more importantly, everyone in the rotation is getting absolutely shelled, and homer-prone. Sale's second start (the 1-0 loss to the A's) is the only QS among the 12 made so far by the front five, and it seems like there has been an inning early in every game where they blow up (see Eovaldi allowing 3 homers against the Mariners–two in the first inning–and Price's second inning on Saturday against the D-Backs.)
              Beyond Sale/Price/Porcello the depth is lacking. Eovaldi needs a definitive role one way or the other. And Eddy Rodriguez, as much as I like him... dude just can't keep his pitch count down to save his life. He is destined for middle relief/spot-starting.
              Assuming he's not heading to the Padres: is Dallas Keuchel an option for the Red Sox?

Comment

anyone remember those doomsday tweets Sox fans sent out last year after the opening day loss?

they were right–just a year early.

seriously though, this "scratching out a win every fifth day while getting posterized the other four" is getting old real fast. the starters to get their [redacted] together and the big bats need to make some consistent contact that doesn't result in an out.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post
                  anyone remember those doomsday tweets Sox fans sent out last year after the opening day loss?

they were right–just a year early.

seriously though, this "scratching out a win every fifth day while getting posterized the other four" is getting old real fast. the starters to get their [redacted] together and the big bats need to make some consistent contact that doesn't result in an out.
                  Right Pedro, amazing how every so often a good team, very good team gets off to a bad start and they are written off or nearly written off..........................so early. I'm a Yankee fan and I'm sure the Bosox will get it going. A team that was so great just last season does not go to the dump the next season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X