Cardinals 10 Run Top of the first Inning ist Inning, Braves comin to bat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals 10 Run Top of the first Inning ist Inning, Braves comin to bat

October 9: The St. Louis Cardinals score 10 runs in the top of the 1st inning on the deciding Game 5 of a NLDS series with the Atlanta Braves.
    All of the runs were scored without the benefit of a home run. Two runs scored on walks with the bases loaded. One run scored from third base when Marcel Ozuna struck out, but Braves catcher, Brian McCann could not handle the third strike. The ball went back to the back wall and Ozuna beat the throw to first. Braves Gold Glove first baseman Freddie Freeman made an error that allowed the Cardinals' inning to continue, which led to some more runs.
    Braves are down 10-0 before they've even come to bat in the bottom of the first. A 'Massacre Los's would be especially devastating coming at home in front of their loyal fans,
    It looks like we could use a "Mercy Rule" today.
    Last edited by 1954 Phils; 10-11-2019, 11:58 AM.

Anyone remember Game 7 of the 1996 NLCS? Same teams, same first inning explosion, though by the Braves.

Goes around, comes around, I guess.

Poor Sam. What a nightmare.

The Cards ought to save Flaherty for Game 1 of the NLCS. They could put Bothrops on the mound, he could hold a ten run lead.

Comment

......... I thought they'd lose but I didn't think it'd be this bad.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

was folty on short rest? did he stay out late last night? how did he and the rest of the staff melt down so badly literally right off the bat?

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post
          was folty on short rest? did he stay out late last night? how did he and the rest of the staff melt down so badly literally right off the bat?
          No, Foltynewicz was on the same amount of rest as Flaherty: four days (day off, Game 3, Game 4, day off). And who knows why they self-combusted? I didn't watch it but maybe Foltynewicz reverted to the days where he lost his composure if one thing went wrong due to the pressure.

My guess after looking at the play by play? A lot of Braves fans have criticized Snitker all year for his bullpen management. On the whole, I wasn't too bothered to get angry about it, but it would clearly be put under the microscope here with the team already down 4-0 and having to go to the pen. He puts in Max Fried presumably to try to get long relief out of him. Yes, Fried won 17 games and may have been their second-best pitcher at times. But here's the thing with him: if his control is not on point, he's worthless. The only reason he has 17 wins is because he got the most run support.

And he gave up a bases-loaded walk and two straight doubles.

Then Snitker puts in Luke Jackson. While Jackson is the Braves' best strikeout reliever, he was also the victim of some bad luck and gets hit hard otherwise. He struck out two batters but was victimized by an error and a resulting run-scoring hit.

That's the best I can explain it.

Comment

There was hope that the Braves would actually advance past the NLDS or at least make a competitive game against Flaherty and that hope was dashed in literally minutes. It's just sad.

Comment

It's hard to believe, but if Freeman hadn't made that error, and the Braves had turned a DP, they would have been out of the inning with just one run. And Freeman appeared to make the error because the baserunner blocked his view of the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post
                It's hard to believe, but if Freeman hadn't made that error, and the Braves had turned a DP, they would have been out of the inning with just one run. And Freeman appeared to make the error because the baserunner blocked his view of the ball.
                Exactly, he can't catch what he can't see, and the baserunner clearly blocked his view. Nobody's fault, just the Braves' bad luck. And it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X