"Air Jordan" Catchers Gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Air Jordan" Catchers Gear?

Does anyone else find it incongruous that the baseball playoffs are going on and a catcher's chest protector has the very visible logo of a basketball player on it? I'm watching Yadi Molina in tonight's NLCS game.

Since when did this begin? Is this a Nike product he's wearing? Having a Nike "swoosh" would be somewhat less in-your-face. But a basketball player's silhouette? Really?
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Maybe it's part of his "Yadi black magic." :P
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Griffey has the famous swing man logo but everyone around baseball still hates him because he wore a backwards hat and earring at the '94 home run derby.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
        Griffey has the famous swing man logo but everyone around baseball still hates him because he wore a backwards hat and earring at the '94 home run derby.
        Well, Griffey got the last laugh, didn't he? His image and legacy is pretty darn secure now that he's in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

Yes, but you don't see the swing man logo on Steph Curry's jersey in the NBA Finals, or or Tom Brady's helmet in the Super Bowl, do you?

It's......out of place.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
            Yes, but you don't see the swing man logo on Steph Curry's jersey in the NBA Finals, or or Tom Brady's helmet in the Super Bowl, do you?

It's......out of place.
            You'd think someone would have asked him about it.

Comment

It's an equipment manufacturer. I think it's still owned by Nike. Michigan football famously became the first non-basketball sports team to wear the Jordan apparel with the jumpman logo a few years ago.
              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this...weird.
                2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                  By everyone, you mean old white men.

Derek Jeter was an endorser of the Jordan brand as his cleats had the Jumpman logo on them.

Air Jordan has evolved not just as a basketball brand. Roy Jones Jr was sporting boxing boots that were provided by Jordan. Paris St. Germain's shirts have the Jumpman logo for Champions League matches. And as mentioned before, Michigan football jerseys are Jordan brand.

You've been living under a rock if you find the Air Jordan brand in other sports weird.
                  Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                    By everyone, you mean old white men.
                    Perhaps you'd like to use more precise language so there's no ambiguity about your point of view?

Comment

Nothing like some racism to spice things up. I can think of comments by Reggie Jackson and Torii Hunter about Latino players that are pretty disparaging. Especially dumb for Jackson considering his background. I'm sure there were black dudes that didn't like Griffey's aesthetic. Doesn't matter if your whole goal is to disparage white people though.

Comment

The personal, mean-spirited, and/or non-baseball interaction has been removed from the thread. Please refrain from further posts of that nature. Thank you.
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

My favorite Nike shoes are actually the "Betsy Ross flag" ones.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X