2019 World Series - Houston Astros vs Washington Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

There certainly is some over-PCing happening in the world. For example, my son went to see Prokofiev's classic "Peter and the Wolf" today at the STLSO. They changed it so that the hunter was now a conservationist trying to capture the wolf who needed meds and send him to a wolf sanctuary. LOLOLOLOLOL. Boy would the "script writers" be shocked to here how many people object to zoos and animals "sanctuaries'.
    I agree that Peter And The Wolf example is beyond ridiculous, but I have to admit, I don't care for zoos anymore. I'd rather not see the animals at all than see them languishing in cages.

Same goes for the Whale Jails, the Sea Worlds and their ilk. Not for me, thanks.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I'm Latino and I do not find Speedy Gonzales to be a stereotype at all. He's hilarious and a cultural icon. Speedy is always the protagonist and the hero. He stands up to bullies and defends his friends and family with courage, guile, and fast feet!
      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-23-2019, 11:55 AM.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        I agree that Peter And The Wolf example is beyond ridiculous, but I have to admit, I don't care for zoos anymore. I'd rather not see the animals at all than see them languishing in cages.

Same goes for the Whale Jails, the Sea Worlds and their ilk. Not for me, thanks.
        Seaworld no longer has Orca shows. They no longer breed Orcas either.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          I'm Latino and I do not find Speedy Gonzales to be a stereotype at all. He's hilarious and a cultural icon. Speedy is always the protagonist and the hero. He stands up to bullies and defends his friends and family with courage, guile, and fast feet!
          I know, right? I've always loved funny accents, but Speedy Gonzalez is great. Who doesn't love the jump-scare "EEE-HAAAAAAAA!!!"
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

I don;t find Speedy offensive either. Just saying that there is some grey area involved with him and MOST "PC" issues. Some issues, however, do not have grey areas and should not be singled-out as "those other people using the ______card".
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Someone talking sense. Some deemed stereotyped, I can see offensive to some, but many thin skins out there. Some are legit, I don't see some that lost jobs over a comment they may have made, some times many years ago, even after an apology.
              The reason you don't see the Frito Bandito anymore or the cute little dog in the Taco Bell commercials.
              Frito got under the skin of some Mexican people.
              So, they removed his gold tooth, combed his hair, got rid of the stubble.

I'm Sicilian and have found very few of my own type offended by the TV program the Sopranos, in fact hardly any.
              It's a TV show guys, come on. The world is getting a little too touchy.

The way I see it, I think some minorities or ethnic groups think we perceive them to be as they are portrayed in some TV shows or a silly commercial. I don't and I would believe many others don't make that connection

That is all I have to say, getting away from the game here.
              Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 10-23-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

Characters like Speedy Gonzales (racial stereotypes) and Pepe LePu (constant sexual harassment) are nuanced issues and need adults talking about them and not children who have their minds made-up already.

Well it was Pepe LePew! He was a skunk who was trying to seduce a feline kitty. Quite confused I guess. He was a takeoff on Charles Boyer [BOY-EHH]] a French actor who was quite the suave leading man in movies from the 30's-50's. He was not related to Kenny or Clete and probably couldn't play 3B. Seduction and foreplay doesn't occur in the animal kingdom. They don't even have to buy them dinner to get laid.

It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Won’t get to watch Verlander and Strasburg duel it out.
                  "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

2-0 series lead. Nats could effectively end this by winning the next game.

All this talk about an Astros dynasty ... if Nats win, we throw all that out.

Comment

The sports world got to see Pressly pitch in the world series. It's all anyone has been talking about. And to think there are 8-9 more irrelevant terrible pitchers we might get to see on just one club!! Hold on to your hats.
                      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

The Nationals continue to exceed my expectations. I figured going back to Washington with a split on the road would be enough to make them feel all right, but up 2-0? I believe the only teams that have ever lost the first two games of the World Series at home and gone on to win were the 1986 Mets and the 1996 Yankees.

I refuse to count my chickens before they hatch, just as I've done all postseason, but needless to say, I'm pretty happy about the position the Nats are in.
                        Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

The Nats have won eight in a row. I think that ties the 2014 Royals for the longest winning streak in a postseason.
                          Last edited by Stolensingle; 10-23-2019, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                            The sports world got to see Pressly pitch in the world series. It's all anyone has been talking about. And to think there are 8-9 more irrelevant terrible pitchers we might get to see on just one club!! Hold on to your hats.
                            Pressly has been very good, 2.4 era and 27% K-BB the last 2 years.
                            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Washington 12, Houston 3 in game 2 of the series:
                              Nationals are up 2 games to none and now the series is heading to D.C.
                              It looks like we're watching the mighty 107 regular season games-winning astros disintegrate before out eyes.

Comment

Fangraphs playoff odds still give the Astros a 35% chance to win which is higher than the initial 30% it gave to the nats.
                                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X