3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Not much to complain about, except Freddie Freeman over Pete Alonso is a real head-scratcher.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

The gap between Bregman's and Raffy Devers' offense was a lot bigger than I thought. Alex led him in dingers (41 to 32), slugging (.592 to .555), OPS (1.015 to .916), and especially walks (119 to 48!) and OPS+ (162 to 133) by huge margins. And yes, I recognize Bregman is also straight-up the far better player.

Comment

Trevor Story is another Rockies creation...pedestrian road stats. I haven't analyzed all the shortstops, but he isn't a great hitter. Javy Baez isn't the answer either, because he was also brutal on the road.
        Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks. I don't care if I never get back. LET ME ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE CUBBIES. This Space For Rent

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
          Not much to complain about, except Freddie Freeman over Pete Alonso is a real head-scratcher.
          I wouldn't say head scratcher. It's not THAT bad. Alonso struck out 183 times, batted .260.

You could make a case for either one. Josh Bell & Rizzo are right behind.

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post

I wouldn't say head scratcher. It's not THAT bad. Alonso struck out 183 times, batted .260.

You could make a case for either one. Josh Bell & Rizzo are right behind.
            I think it's pretty bad. Alonso was clearly a more productive hitter than Freeman. Freeman beats him handily in batting average and struck out "only" 127 times but Alonso did more damage at the plate, especially after we adjust for their home ballparks (Freeman's is hitter friendly, Alonso's is pitcher friendly)

OPS+
            Freeman 136
            Alonso 148

HR
            Freeman 38
            Alonso 53

XBH
            Freeman 74
            Alonso 85

Total Bases
            Freeman 328
            Alonso 348

Batting Runs above average (B-Ref)
            Freeman 30
            Alonso 47
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

I think it's pretty bad. Alonso was clearly a more productive hitter than Freeman. Freeman beats him handily in batting average and struck out "only" 127 times but Alonso did more damage at the plate, especially after we adjust for their home ballparks (Freeman's is hitter friendly, Alonso's is pitcher friendly)

OPS+
              Freeman 136
              Alonso 148

HR
              Freeman 38
              Alonso 53

XBH
              Freeman 74
              Alonso 85

Total Bases
              Freeman 328
              Alonso 348

Batting Runs above average (B-Ref)
              Freeman 30
              Alonso 47
              Freeman had the advantage with RISP, which I believe counters a lot of what you've mentioned.

Freeman with RISP: 0.358/0.448/0.562. He drove in 75 runs with RISP in 163 PA.
              Alonso with RISP: 0.246/0.361/0.585. He drove in 65 runs with RISP in 158 PA.

If you care about leverage, Freeman was absolutely at his best in high leverage situations (by far). Alonso was absolutely at his best in low leverage situations (by far).

Reviewing everything, I would have taken Freeman.
              Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 11-08-2019, 10:40 AM.
              Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks. I don't care if I never get back. LET ME ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE CUBBIES. This Space For Rent

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Comment

I'm starting to get the sense that the Silver Sluggers are like booby prizes for guys who miss out on other awards.
                46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

If you care about leverage, Freeman was absolutely at his best in high leverage situations (by far). Alonso was absolutely at his best in low leverage situations (by far).
                  Per FG, Alonso was just as good in ML as LL. Not sure I would put much stock in HL, since that's such a very small sample size. E.g., Freeman was better in LL than HL in 2018.

Anyway, if you're going to play the splits game, Alonso was equal vs. RHP and LHP, .941 OPS. Freeman was 1.005 vs. RHP but only .750 vs. LHP. Like other LHB, Freeman has the advantage in not seeing same-handed pitching as much as opposite handed pitching.

Comment

Le Mahieu (Yankees) over American League and Major League Baseball batting champion, Tim Anderson (White Sox)?...…..I don't think so!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post

Per FG, Alonso was just as good in ML as LL. Not sure I would put much stock in HL, since that's such a very small sample size. E.g., Freeman was better in LL than HL in 2018.

Anyway, if you're going to play the splits game, Alonso was equal vs. RHP and LHP, .941 OPS. Freeman was 1.005 vs. RHP but only .750 vs. LHP. Like other LHB, Freeman has the advantage in not seeing same-handed pitching as much as opposite handed pitching.

Personally I don't care much about LH/RH splits when I grade players, because of their equal importance. However, the RISP numbers I posted for Freeman were drastically better than Alonso's. Yes, it is a more reduced sample size, but for one year, Freeman was still much better.

Originally posted by 1954 Phils View Post
                      Le Mahieu (Yankees) over American League and Major League Baseball batting champion, Tim Anderson (White Sox)?...…..I don't think so!!
                      I didn't want to sound too much like a homer...but

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X