Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing the Leaderboards - 2020 Edition

Defensive Games Played
    Yadier Molina (7th all-time) could become only the 6th player in history with 2,000 games caught with his 53rd game of the season and could reach as high as 4th all-time with 110 games caught this year.

Should Russell Martin (27th) play in 2020, he would need just 21 games to become the 26th player with 1,600 games caught and could move as high as 18th all-time. He remains a free agent, but has not officially announced his retirement.

Buster Posey (128th) will become the 123rd player with 1,000 games caught with his 13th game of the 2020 season and could move as high as 108th on the all-time list.

Robinson Cano (10th) could 6th all-time in games played at second base with just 83 games there this year. He is 527 games shy of the all-time record (held by Eddie Collins).

Jose Altuve (84th) could rocket all the way to 53rd on the games played list for second basemen with a full season.

Nick Markakis (8th) could climb his way as high as 3rd all-time in games played in right field, with 139 games played. He is currently 261 games from setting the all-time record.

Pitchers
    Fernando Rodney (20th) could become the 17th pitcher in history with 1,000 games pitched with just 49 appearances this year. Rodney remains a free agent as of this moment.

Justin Verlander (70th) has 225 career wins, the most of any active player. A 20-win season could place him tied for 54th all-time with Dennis Martinez and Jack Powell.

Zack Greinke (107th) has 205 wins. A 20-win season could place him at 71st all-time.

Jon Lester (145th) has 190 wins. With 10 this year, he’ll become the 119th player with 200 career victories. With a 20-win season, he would just crack the top 100.

Craig Kimbrel (13th) has 346 saves. While he isn’t his old self, he’s only 31 years old. A 32-save season would give him 8th place, just ahead of Joe Nathan. He’s 54 saves shy of becoming the 7th player with 400 saves. He is 154 saves shy of becoming just the 3rd player with 500 career saves. He is 307 saves shy of the all-time record.

Aroldis Chapman (34th) is 27 saves shy of becoming the 31st pitcher to reach the 300 mark. A 40-save season would boost him to 24th all-time, just ahead of Goose Gossage and Tom Henke.

Justin Verlander (18th) will surpass Fergie Jenkins for 12th place with his 187th strikeout.

Max Scherzer (24th) will surpass Jim Bunning for 19th all-time with his 164th strikeout. A 308-strikeout season in 2020 would earn Scherzer the distinction of being the 19th pitcher in history with 3,000 strikeouts.

Hitters
    Albert Pujols (15th) needs 118 hits to surpass Willie Mays for 12th all-time.

Miguel Cabrera (51st) needs 185 hits to become the 33rd player to reach 3,000.

Robinson Cano (92nd) needs 130 hits to become the 70th player to reach 2,700.

Nick Markakis (136th) needs 145 hits to become the 102nd player to reach 2,500.

Albert Pujols (17th) needs 72 runs scored to be the 12th player to reach 1,900 in his career, and 172 runs scored to become the 9th player to reach 2,000 runs scored.

Miguel Cabrera (84th) needs 71 runs scored to become the 74th player to reach 1,500.

Robinson Cano (161st) needs 266 runs scored to become the 75th player to reach 1,500.

Albert Pujols (5th) needs 114 total bases to eclipse Barry Bonds in 4th place. He needs 138 total bases to become the 4th player with 6,000.

Miguel Cabrera (26th) needs 143 total bases to become the 22nd player with 5,000 in his career.

Albert Pujols (7th) needs 8 doubles to surpass Craig Biggio (and George Brett) to put himself in 5th place all-time.

Miguel Cabrera (24th) needs 23 doubles to become the 18th player to reach 600 in his career.

Robinson Cano (29th) needs 38 doubles to become the 19th such player.

Nick Markakis needs 1 double to become the 64th player to reach 500 in his career.

Mark Reynolds needs 73 strikeouts to become the 7th batter with 2,000 in his career.

Chris Davis (18th) needs 165 strikeouts to reach 2,000.

Managers
    Terry Francona (18th) could leapfrog Jim Leyland’s career win total with 103 victories. He’ll become the 17th manager with 1,700 wins with his 33rd win of the season.

Joe Maddon (40th) could go as high as 32nd with a 101-win season, edging out Chuck Tanner. He’s more likely to merely join the 1,300 win club (with his 48th win of the season), the 34th manager to do so.

Joe Girardi (68th) becomes the 65th manager with 1,000 victories with his 12th win of 2020.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 02-18-2020, 06:00 AM.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

So which records are going to fall? I didn't see any examples in your post.
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 01-27-2020, 11:00 AM.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
      So which records are going to fall? .
      The most times Kobe Bryant being mentioned on MLB telecasts.
      The most head coaches replacing other head coaches for sign stealing scandals.
      The most times relievers are forced to pitch to 3 straight batters.
      The most times old people complaining about how the current state of baseball is so awful on baseball websites that are supposed to be about how great baseball is.
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

To my way of thinking, a "falling record" requires someone to take over the no. 1 spot. I don't see anyone poised to do so, in any category, from the OP.

Comment

That's for all the literal criticism guys; very helpful.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

I'd like to see Verlander win at least 20, just not against the Mariners.
            “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post
              I'd like to see Verlander win at least 20, just not against the Mariners.
              I read this as "not just against the Mariners." That would probably require him having 20 starts against them next year.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post

I read this as "not just against the Mariners." That would probably require him having 20 starts against them next year.
                Hey if we beat him every time I'd be happy. But I like him as a pitcher.
                “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                  That's for all the literal criticism guys; very helpful.
                  Title of the thread is about falling records but you listed a bunch of things that have nothing to do with falling records. I don't mean to criticise, I'm just confused.
                  My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

Title of the thread is about falling records but you listed a bunch of things that have nothing to do with falling records. I don't mean to criticise, I'm just confused.
                    Sorry to confuse people. I hope it's been fixed now.

Comment

Sorry to confuse people. I hope it's been fixed now.
                      Yes. Much better! Thank you.

Comment

You guys are animals! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by walter sobchak View Post
                          To my way of thinking, a "falling record" requires someone to take over the no. 1 spot. I don't see anyone poised to do so, in any category, from the OP.
                          Saw an unfortunate joke troll post on Twitter about karma taking down Kobe Bryant the day after LeBron James went ahead of him on the all-time points scored leaderboard. Only the troll used the word “record”.

Obviously I’d be piling onto the crap the poster was getting, but I was like “LeBron just moved one slot ahead on a leaderboard. There was no record being broken, so good luck if LeBron wants to go after Bryant’s all-time Laker point record!”
                          NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                          Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                          Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

You guys are animals! LOL
                            Not to pile on, but Granderson announced his retirement a couple of weeks ago
                            NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                            Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                            Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Miguel Cabrera (7th) needs to Ground into 11 Double Plays to surpass Hank Aaron as 4th all time.

Joey Votto (8th) needs 113 Assists at 1B to surpass Mark Grace (5th) and 130 to surpass Keith Hernandez (4th).

Robinson Cano (9th) needs 47 Double Plays at 2B to surpass Charlie Gehringer (7th).

Evan Longoria (12th) needs 15 Double Plays at 3B to surpass Eddie Mathews (10th).

Russell Martin (8th) needs 437 Putouts as C to surpass Brian McCann (6th).

Nick Markakis (8th) needs 181 Putouts at RF to surpass Hank Aaron (4th) and 265 to surpass Dwight Evans (3rd) - (s.1908).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X