MLB considering changes to postseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB considering changes to postseason

Major League Baseball is plotting a major shift in the sport’s structure, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The intention is to implement the changes as soon as the 2022 season. This is not a done deal. Beyond any potential practical issues that could yet arise, it’ll need to be worked out with the union. As Sherman notes, though, there’s some reason to believe the changes could meet with the approval of the MLBPA. First and foremost, the proposal under consideration would add two more postseason qualifying teams in each league, meaning that 14 of the game’s 30 clubs would be in the playoffs each year. That would assuredly change the roster-building calculus.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...n-changes.html

The division winner with the second-best record in a league would then get the first pick of its opponent from those lower three wild cards, then the other division winner would pick, leaving the last two wild cards to play each other.

Joel Sherman article:
    https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/mlb-pl...lity-tv-twist/
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

6 months of baseball means very little if they allow almost half the teams to make the playoffs. There is no reason to follow 162 or even 100 games if a team can go 82-80 and almost be assured of making the playoffs. Why don't they just put all 30 teams in a postseason tournament and give the 48-114 teams a chance to win the World Championship.

This would totally ruin the game. It's as bad as getting rid of extra inning games and having a home run hitting shootout, or getting rid of innings and going to 9, 12-minute periods (6 minutes on each side with coaches pitching to their own players) so that the games don't go on too long.

Baseball was the best sport ever until the powers that be started tinkering with the game. The game was originally created so that the ball stayed in the park, and it took teamwork, speed, intelligence, and finesse to win games.

One team from the NL and one team from the AL made the playoffs, the two teams that survived a 6-month marathon, making all 6 months important. Players on the other teams got paid extra money for finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th place. Teams in the second division still had something to play for after they were out of the race. Of course, there were no draft picks then, so tanking was useless.

The powers that be cannot legislate the game to return to its number one spot in popularity. Making additional changes away from the original version of the game will only make more people turn away.

Comment

Wes, i don't disagree with much of your post, but you know as well as i do that this is all about (more) money, which means it can't be stopped. Eventually, I mean. i don't know if postseason expansion will happen in 2022, but it almost surely will happen eventually.

On the plus side, fans in more cities will have reason to follow their team late in the season. Another likely consequence is that this will promote the eventual expansion of the two leagues, so the proportion of all teams making the playoffs won't increase as much (instead of 14/30, there will be 14/32, eventually perhaps 14/34).

Also, as the OP describes the plan, the team with the best record in the league also has a better chance of making the WS than under the current format. Under the latter, all three division winners get a bye, playing a LDS, then a LCS if they move on. Under the proposed format, every team except the one with the best record in the league has to play a WC round as well as the LDS and LCS to move on. That means every team but the best division winner has its chances of making the WS reduced by roughly 50% even before getting to the LDS. This is a big advantage to the team that avoids this. In fact, this would be the first time since the playoff system was begun in 1969 that the team with the best record in the league has an advantage other than home field over every other team. That doesn't make the situation as it was before 1969, when there were eight team leagues, with the team with the best regular season record going straight to the WS, but it does move the needle a little bit in that direction.

Right now, teams have an incentive to win their division, to avoid a WC, but the incentive to have the league's best record, home field advantage, is less. Given a choice between having the best record and resting players, particularly pitching, there's likely to be some conflict. Under the proposed new system, teams will have a huge advantage to have the league's best record, to the point where resting players and starting pitchers will carry less weight.
      Last edited by Stolensingle; 02-10-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

If you're going to expand the playoffs to 14 teams, just seed them by record without giving priority to division winners. Sometimes a division winner doesn't deserve a top 3 seed, and the NBA has realized that, it's time MLB realize it too.

And if the MLB expands to 32-teams and adopts an NFL-style alignment, then you're gonna need to expand the playoffs to 16 teams to avoid decreasing the amount of wild card teams, especially in that format division winners don't always deserve seeding priority, and also to avoid making the same mistake the NFL did when it moved to 8 divisions by replacing a wild card with a division winner which cost some decent teams that didn't win their division playoff berths in the years after, including the 2007 Browns, who have not really recovered from this slighting (they recently had a 7-8-1 record improved from 0-16 the year before after drafting Baker Mayfield, but they regressed to 6-10 last season; the Browns have not improved their record in consecutive seasons since 2000-02).

Under my proposed system, the first round would be single games, hosted by the higher seeds. The 4 winners in each league are re-seeded for the LDS, which remains best-of-5. The rest of the playoffs remain unchanged.
        Last edited by PF#9; 02-10-2020, 05:56 PM.
        The playoffs should expand eventually, but only if MLB itself expands.

See my blog for more info.

Comment

The post season is pretty much a joke nowadays anyway, this would give us even more mediocre teams in the world series . I long ago stopped caring once the regular season ended. I follow baseball just for the individual player stats.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
            The post season is pretty much a joke nowadays anyway, this would give us even more mediocre teams in the world series . I long ago stopped caring once the regular season ended. I follow baseball just for the individual player stats.
            Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Brava willshad. I might change my mind if the Mariners could actually get to the playoffs, but no. I'd rather just enjoy a smaller playoff.
            “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
              I follow baseball just for the individual player stats.
              Through all the changes baseball has made, I think this is one feature that makes it pretty much unique among professional team sports. Individual stats mean much more to most fans, at least to serious fans, than they do to fans of other sports. This means that as long as there is a regular season, the game will survive no matter how much the postseason is manipulated.

One way that sabermetrics has promoted that view is by arguing that how a player's team finishes should have no relevance to that player's MVP chances.

Edit: I now see that part of the new proposal also includes a best of three WC series. This means that the top seed is idle for several days while the WC plays out. E.g., I assume that there would be at least one day off between the end of the regular season and the beginning of the WC series. The WC series would include at least two games, plus presumably an off day following the end of that series and the beginning of the LDS. So the top seed would be idle at least four days, and maybe five, following the end of the regular season. That's assuming there would be no off days in the WC series, which I assume also implies that while Game 1 would be played at the park of the higher seed, Game 2 would be played at the home of the lower seed.

I like the idea of the higher seeds picking their opponents. It seems to me that the highest seed by definition should be able to choose which team it plays, rather than play a team that has been pre-determined. Of course, the team that is picked will probably use that as motivation, as in, they think we're the easiest team to beat.

Meanwhile, Trevor Bauer says that the proposal is "absurd" and that it "proves that you [Rob Manfred] have absolutely no clue about baseball. You're a joke."

Hmmm, if a player said that about an umpire, he would be fined and maybe suspended. Will Manfred come down on Bauer?
              Last edited by Stolensingle; 02-10-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Nice going Manfred. Gimmicks and more gimmicks. How about letting fans vote after Labor Day on who they want to see in the post-season?
                It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

I never thought I would miss Bud Selig...
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Awful. Just awful.

Comment

Yay! No we will get the chance to see an 82-80 W-L team vs an 81-81 W-L team in the World Series!
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                        Yay! No we will get the chance to see an 82-80 W-L team vs an 81-81 W-L team in the World Series!
                        As opposed to the good old days when the '06 Cardinals made the postseason and won the world series after winning <checks Baseball-Reference> 83 games in the regular season.
                        Last edited by GiambiJuice; 02-11-2020, 09:57 AM.
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

As opposed to the good old days when the '06 Cardinals made the postseason and won the world series after winning <checks Baseball-Reference> 83 games in the regular season.
                          That was a fluke. Plus we don't need a new playoff system that will have MORE 83 win teams in the World Series.
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post

That was a fluke. Plus we don't need a new playoff system that will have MORE 83 win teams in the World Series.
                            I totally agree with you. I was just being a smarta$$. Sorry.
                            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                            2. Barry Bonds
                            3. Ty Cobb
                            4. Ted Williams
                            5. Willie Mays
                            6. Alex Rodriguez
                            7. Hank Aaron
                            8. Honus Wagner
                            9. Lou Gehrig
                            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I seem to recall the 82-79 1973 Mets sweeping the Reds in the LDS and challenging the A's in 7.

That aside, this is naturally about October ratings. Sponsors get virtually nothing out of regular season games when compared to postseason revenue. And Rob Manfred cares much less about baseball than he does making the owners happy. Follow the money.

As well, if Bauer feels any repercussions from his reaction by MLB, it'll set a really bad precedent. Any wagers Manfred will do exactly the opposite of what he ought to?
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X