Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs new TV network woes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartanntp

This is not good for the game. A lot of my Cubs acquaintances are being affected. I know of multiple Comcast subscribers who seem to be in the dark and have no idea if they can watch their Cubs (I haven't investigated it myself what recourse they have, but right now some Cubs fans are hurting.)
    R.I.P. Farmio
    Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

This is how MLB's meetings to "#growthegame" typically unfold...

"No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
      https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartanntp

This is not good for the game. A lot of my Cubs acquaintances are being affected. I know of multiple Comcast subscribers who seem to be in the dark and have no idea if they can watch their Cubs (I haven't investigated it myself what recourse they have, but right now some Cubs fans are hurting.)
      You're right, it's not at all good for the game.

A friend of mine in the Florida panhandle hasn't gotten the RSNs on Dish Network since this despicable nonsense began. I don't know his whole story, but he's a Met fan and since the middle of last summer can watch them only on MLBN (the only way he gets an RSN feed), ESPN, Fox, FS1, etc.

It's just wrong that millions and millions of baseball fans are enduring broadcast sabotage, and all the money they spend on their TV signals means nothing to these big faceless corporations working with big antiquated business models that they continue to invest in.

Ya know what? I live in Las Vegas, where no less than SIX teams are blacked out by mlb.tv (40% of MLB since the away feeds are blacked out too), and only 3 of them are available via cable/satellite. Different issue from this Sinclair thing I know, but this region is only unique in the number of restricted teams (Iowans also suffer 6 teams). All regions black out at least one team, many 2 or 3. Tens of millions of fans everywhere are affected negatively by "local" blackout restrictions – and it's another substantial example how fans are victimized by the big money that cares nothing about the fans.

It kinda reminds me of 20 years ago when the RIAA went on a crusade to sue its own customers, labeling a good portion of the music listening community as criminals.

Granted, no one is suing the baseball fans for using a great website I won't name here or a VPN for bypassing the restrictions, but technically, they could, and, like the music industry, they are ages behind in developing an agreeable modern business model, while only the fans suffer.

Baseball could help itself and its fans here if it were to get involved, but it won't. Like I say, we're lucky we're not getting sued. Somehow, tho, the music industry finally figured out how to incorporate digital downloads into its profit scheme. Hopefully, baseball (and professional sports in general) figures it all out soon. Until then, it's cutting off its own leg by allowing millions of fans to become alienated.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Around 40% or so of LA located Dodgers fans haven't been able to watch their team for SIX years now due to an impasse with one the biggest cable companies in the LA area!

For in-market Cubs fans whose cable provider hasn't picked up the Cubs new TV network called Marquee, their only option is to get Hulu Live TV - just pay monthly no long-term contracts. For Cubs fans out of market, nothing changes: still access Cubs via MLB.tv or MLB Extra Innings. However, the out-of-market fans only get the games none of the non-game programming that is being created for the Marquee Network.

Unlike the NBA, MLB owners are letting their short-term greed blind them to the long-term damage that they are doing to the game's popularity, especially among young people.

Comment

Mlb is doing a good job of generating more money but for long term this is not great to create new fans.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

I’ve got milladrive beat in central PA. Reds, Indians, Bucs, Phillies, Nats, Orioles, Blue Jays, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox are all blacked out here.

#growthegame
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Sooner or later, we'll be back to listening on the radio (I love radio baseball, so that won't kill me.)
              R.I.P. Farmio
              Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                Sooner or later, we'll be back to listening on the radio (I love radio baseball, so that won't kill me.)
                Been here for years, I turn on AM radio for local games or Sirius XM for any. I don't foresee easily being able to pass down a love of baseball to the next generation, they dive into video games,and that's a damn shame.
                Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                  I’ve got milladrive beat in central PA. Reds, Indians, Bucs, Phillies, Nats, Orioles, Blue Jays, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox are all blacked out here.

#growthegame
                  Who do you subscribe with? I see 4 teams blacked out in central PA. Four teams is horrible, but a lot more common than 6.

Unless the MLB blackout map is not as precise as it should be, it portrays the most number of teams blacked out in any given place as 6, in both Iowa and southern Nevada, both regions notoriously bad no-man's lands. Several articles back that up as well.

The Sox or Jays blacked out in PA can't have anything to do with local restrictions. If 10 teams are blacked out for you, I have to think it's for a different reason.

downloadfile.png
                  Last edited by milladrive; 02-28-2020, 01:59 PM. Reason: Typo
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

Dish network, I've definitely had all those cities games blacked out multiple times for whatever reason. They've all been good the last decade so they're easy to try to flip on.

Comment

Dish network, I've definitely had all those cities games blacked out multiple times for whatever reason. They've all been good the last decade so they're easy to try to flip on.
                      Right, so your problem is similar to what my friend in Florida has, which is sadly related to this Sinclair/Disney thing. It's really despicable.

I thought I was going crazy for a sec. If you were to subscribe to mlb.tv and streamed it thru Amazon or the PS4, e.g., just the Mets, Yankees, Phillies, and Pirates would be blacked out. Hardly "just" but at least not 10.

Ya know, the more I think about this -- and I think about it a lot due to my own location -- the more poignant the title of this thread becomes. Cub fans in Iowa definitely have it the worst of all, since not only are the Cubs one of their 6 teams, but if they have Dish they're affected.

Cord cutting baseball fans are basically screwed everywhere presently due to the local blackouts, but this other issue penalizes even those who keep the cord.

I'll say here what I told my friend. If it were me, I'd disown Dish Network and never look back.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Right, so your problem is similar to what my friend in Florida has, which is sadly related to this Sinclair/Disney thing. It's really despicable.

I thought I was going crazy for a sec. If you were to subscribe to mlb.tv and streamed it thru Amazon or the PS4, e.g., just the Mets, Yankees, Phillies, and Pirates would be blacked out. Hardly "just" but at least not 10.

Ya know, the more I think about this -- and I think about it a lot due to my own location -- the more poignant the title of this thread becomes. Cub fans in Iowa definitely have it the worst of all, since not only are the Cubs one of their 6 teams, but if they have Dish they're affected.

Cord cutting baseball fans are basically screwed everywhere presently due to the local blackouts, but this other issue penalizes even those who keep the cord.

I'll say here what I told my friend. If it were me, I'd disown Dish Network and never look back.
                        Yea I still lived with my folks when with the dish thing. Honestly when I think about how pathetically inept baseball is at handling basically everything it makes me not want to follow it.

Comment

MLB goes so far as to blackout California games in Guam. What a bunch of douche bags. They screw over people who don't even care just for the sake of screwing someone over.

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Been here for years, I turn on AM radio for local games or Sirius XM for any. I don't foresee easily being able to pass down a love of baseball to the next generation, they dive into video games,and that's a damn shame.

I used to enjoy radio baseball, but in the last 10 years, at least on the Cardinal network, it's complete commercial overkill. I realize that the 2 1/2 minute break will have commercials, but the play by play has become completely littered with plugs for various products and services such as cellular service, convenience stores, fast food, senior living/nursing homes, health care networks-you name it, there's usually at least 4 each half inning. Now back in the day Harry Caray & Jack Buck would urge the listener to have an ice cold Bud while enjoying the game and plug an upcoming home stand, no problem with that. But it was limited.

The other problem is that Mike Shannon does 5 innings of PBP on home games. Or shall we say he attempts to. He never was very good and now at age 80 he's a mumbling disaster, unable to put a couple complete sentences together without at 3-4 "uhs" or "ehs." Pitiful.
                            It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

MLB goes so far as to blackout California games in Guam. What a bunch of douche bags. They screw over people who don't even care just for the sake of screwing someone over.
                              Yeah, because all those casual new fans in Guam that MLB wants to attract by shaving milliseconds off a game's duration are encouraged to hop in their cars and head on over to RingCentral after a long day at the office, don'tcha know. Besides, letting them watch sponsors while enjoying the game on TV would be just plain silly. /end sarcasm

And let's not forget Alaska and Canada. The Mariners are blacked out in an area that, if it were a country, would be the 19th largest country in the world. And the Blue Jays are blacked out in all of Canada, the second largest nation on Earth.

...Or Hawaii which, like Guam, gets none of the 5 California teams. The Bay Area is 9 hours in the car from me, and they're both blacked out. Wonder how long it'd take to drive there from Honolulu.

At least on the local restrictions nonsense, there seems to be some hope on the horizon. Not this year, and each individual RSN contract will expire in its own time anyway, but hey, it's something.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-pen-mlb...200214832.html

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/mlb-...-cord-cutters/

https://www.12up.com/posts/mlb-could...s-01dthdt7d9ta

On this Sinclair/Disney thing, I have to wonder how this will end up. Here's the map with Sinclair's territory:

Sinclair-MLB-Coverage-1-1024x791.png

...and the accompanying FG blog:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-sinc...ll-affect-you/

This all could get worse before it gets better, and it already damages the game in a Major League way.
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X