No announcement yet.

Cubs new TV network woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a regional blackout map of Canada. Toronto is blacked out nationwide. In addition to the states of Washington, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and the entirety of Alaska, Seattle blacks out in British Columbia and Alberta. The Jays also share Saskatchewan and Manitoba with the Twins, and the Maritimes with the Red Sox.

706px-Canadian_MLB_blackout_area.svg.png

And another decent map of the US blackout regions, with some of their affected cities listed.

MLBTerritorialmap.0.0.jpg
    Put it in the books.

Comment

I'm just thankful the White Sox are on the combined Sox/Blackhawks/Bulls channel locally so I can watch my own team in my hometown! My sympathies for all you who can't watch your own teams!
      R.I.P. Farmio
      Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
        I'm just thankful the White Sox are on the combined Sox/Blackhawks/Bulls channel locally so I can watch my own team in my hometown! My sympathies for all you who can't watch your own teams!
        Does Reinsdorf own the Blackhawks as well?

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post

Rocky Wirtz owns the Blackhawks.
          Last edited by Reds5; 03-05-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post

Reinsdorf owns a portion of the Bulls. A lot of the Sox partners own a piece of the Bulls, and vice versa. There are some 20+ owners on each team. I don't have an exact list of percentages, but Reinsdorf owns around 20% of the White Sox and 10%-12% of the Bulls. He is one of the two biggest shareholders on the White Sox and may be the biggest on the Bulls. He is the "face" or spokesman for the owners.
            R.I.P. Farmio
            Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Wow, just when you think it can't get worse.
              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

The writing has been on the wall on these developments for some time, but I despise everything about it each year. MLB owners are practicing the very actions at the heart of the fable: Killing the goose laying the golden egg.

Ted Turner knew better, and that is how he started TBS' superstation for his Braves. Then, WGN picked up on the idea for the Cubs. Broadcasting baseball far and wide and as cheap as possible would grow the game. Henry Ford himself understood that in order to grow his industry, the masses had to be able to afford the product. Yet, baseball owners have acted in a fashion oblivious to Ford's lesson for some time. First, it was ticket prices, then parking prices, then food within the stadiums: everything had to be treated like a cash cow. Under capitalism, that is fine up to a point. Yet, at some point undefined, common sense must rule.

I could rant on this for pages, but somehow I recognize that I am preaching to the choir.
                Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                  The writing has been on the wall on these developments for some time, but I despise everything about it each year. MLB owners are practicing the very actions at the heart of the fable: Killing the goose laying the golden egg.

Ted Turner knew better, and that is how he started TBS' superstation for his Braves. Then, WGN picked up on the idea for the Cubs. Broadcasting baseball far and wide and as cheap as possible would grow the game. Henry Ford himself understood that in order to grow his industry, the masses had to be able to afford the product. Yet, baseball owners have acted in a fashion oblivious to Ford's lesson for some time. First, it was ticket prices, then parking prices, then food within the stadiums: everything had to be treated like a cash cow. Under capitalism, that is fine up to a point. Yet, at some point undefined, common sense must rule.

I could rant on this for pages, but somehow I recognize that I am preaching to the choir.
                  Preach on, brother.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

I literally only watch TV for Cubs games. Whenever they aired on WGN, ABC, or FOX I was able to watch. I'm not paying for some streaming service or cable provider $60 a month just so I can get some huge package with dozens of channels I'll never watch for even a single minute just to be able to watch a few games a week. So this Cubs fan doesn't plan on watching any Cubs games this season. MLB is really missing out on reaching a new generation with this move. I've got three young boys at home with whom I would watch the games.
                    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

NFL wore an NFL100 patch to celebrate the leagues 100th anniversary and made a big show out of selecting an all-time 100 team. Baseball wears MLB150 patches. Does nothing. I have never seen such pathetic marketing in my entire life. And it's been going on for at least two decades. The TV rights situation is unbelievable.
                      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                        NFL wore an NFL100 patch to celebrate the leagues 100th anniversary and made a big show out of selecting an all-time 100 team. Baseball wears MLB150 patches. Does nothing. I have never seen such pathetic marketing in my entire life. And it's been going on for at least two decades. The TV rights situation is unbelievable.
                        The lack of activities by MLB re the 150th anniversary was very disappointing & shocking, especially considering how MLB never seems to miss an opportunity to make $ of some historic event. Just another example, as with Manfred's rule changes, of the current MLB owners & executives inability to appreciate the importance of MLB's rich history. This is a sport with a 150 years of traditions & iconic moments not some trendy "X Games" sport (no offense) that has only existed for less than 20 years. They require completely different marketing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdGenCub View Post

The lack of activities by MLB re the 150th anniversary was very disappointing & shocking, especially considering how MLB never seems to miss an opportunity to make $ of some historic event. Just another example, as with Manfred's rule changes, of the current MLB owners & executives inability to appreciate the importance of MLB's rich history. This is a sport with a 150 years of traditions & iconic moments not some trendy "X Games" sport (no offense) that has only existed for less than 20 years. They require completely different marketing, etc.
                          If it didn't actually happen it would literally be unbelievable. Unreal man. Who puts patches on everyone's jersey to celebrate the history of your sport and does nothing to acknowledge it. If you tell fringe baseball fans that a pro league was formed in 1871 and the Braves and Cubs were in it they are instantly shocked and want to know more. Even if just for a couple minutes of googling. It's still something. I doubt most people know that baseball is the first pro team sport with a league championship structure and that the N.L. is the oldest operating sports league in the world.

Comment

You can watch most of these blacked out games through pirate channels in Europe. I watched a lot of blacked out college football and basketball games this past season, and I assume they do the same thing for baseball, but I did not discover it until October.

Try
                            720pstream.me

sportshd.me

Comment

Originally posted by wes_kahn View Post
                              You can watch most of these blacked out games through pirate channels in Europe. I watched a lot of blacked out college football and basketball games this past season, and I assume they do the same thing for baseball, but I did not discover it until October.

Try
                              720pstream.me

sportshd.me
                              That's how I've watched every baseball game for 10 years now.

Comment

Pirate channels in Europe? Why? Unless I'm overlooking something, Reddit has dozens of sources for both home and away feeds (at least until MLB decides to fight it). Even a VPN isn't considered "piracy," even while making MLB think we're in England.

Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X