Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus: How will it affect the 2020 MLB season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mets do not expect any of their players to opt out of playing this year, Brodie Van Wagenen said.

The Mets have had one player on their 40-man roster test positive for COVID-19 since March. He is currently recovering.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...95016551530496
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by dgarza View Post

Maybe, but are you only looking at "to start the season" and not other 60-game timeframes? Anyway, you don't have to play the full schedule to qualify, you only need 3.1 PA per team game. So you could quality playing 45-47 games.

186 PAs are needed to quality in a 60-game schedule.
      Last year, Cody Bellinger hit .405 in his first 199 PAs.
      And Nolan Arenado was hitting .392 though 176 PAs, April 21-June 5.
      Yuli Gurriel was hitting .390 through 177 PAs, June 23-Aug 15.
      Alex Bergman was hitting .403 through 164 PAs, July 27-Sept. 9.
      It's just not THAT far removed from reality to see someone hit .400 in 186 PAs.
      My whole point in bringing it up was not to discuss the odds of it happening, but how 'legit' it would be. Would it require the dreaded asterisk next to it in the record books?

Comment

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

My whole point in bringing it up was not to discuss the odds of it happening, but how 'legit' it would be. Would it require the dreaded asterisk next to it in the record books?
        The whole season, if they complete it, which I doubt, will require an asterisk.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

Yeah,

I don't really understand the argument for anyone thinking any of the rate stats will count toward the records. Are people arguing they will be legit?
          "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

• Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post

Yeah,

I don't really understand the argument for anyone thinking any of the rate stats will count toward the records. Are people arguing they will be legit?
            Not sure why anyone gives a crap about if somebody hits .400 or not in 60 games. The object of baseball if to have fun. 60 games (if that even happens) of baseball is more fun than zero games. The most unfun thing about baseball is people complaining here and elsewhere about how much it sucks and how everything somehow will be ruined.
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

Not sure why anyone gives a crap about if somebody hits .400 or not in 60 games. The object of baseball if to have fun. 60 games (if that even happens) of baseball is more fun than zero games. The most unfun thing about baseball is people complaining here and elsewhere about how much it sucks and how everything somehow will be ruined.
              As much baseball that is humanly possible while taking proper precautions to keep everyone healthy is my hope for 2020!
              Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
              http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

• Rockies sign Matt Kemp:
                https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...matt-kemp.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

As much baseball that is humanly possible while taking proper precautions to keep everyone healthy is my hope for 2020!
                  agreed. I love baseball, but I don't need baseball if it will harm actual humans.
                  "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

• Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Right. Sports just might not happen this year. And that is okay.
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• This may well end the careers of some guys. Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond are taking the year off, which is fine. Family first. But their careers are already in the toilet and they're on the wrong side of 30 and struggling to get paid in the big leagues. I can't imagine another year older and a year off from playing will do anything to improve their prospects if they want to come back in 2021.
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                        This may well end the careers of some guys. Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond are taking the year off, which is fine. Family first. But their careers are already in the toilet and they're on the wrong side of 30 and struggling to get paid in the big leagues. I can't imagine another year older and a year off from playing will do anything to improve their prospects if they want to come back in 2021.
                        I don't even know who Ian Desmond is.
                        “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

• Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post

I don't even know who Ian Desmond is.
                          you should watch baseball then

-Bill James

Comment

• 2020 minor league season will be cancelled:
                            https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...-canceled.html

Comment

• Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post

you should watch baseball then
                              I prefer history.
                              “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

• Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post

I prefer history.
                                Like all players he is part of baseball history.

-Bill James

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X