Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus: How will it affect the 2020 MLB season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post
    Just cancel it.
    wish they would have done it before yesterday...Tigers could have finished tied for first.
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

• Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post

You didn't enjoy that? When else would you ever see a manager suggesting he would order his team to lose?
      Changing the rules in mid season always seems to lead to good outcomes.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post

This season is going to be a bigger fiasco than even 1981 was.
        The Nationals held a team vote on the club’s scheduled upcoming trip to play the coronavirus-stricken Marlins in Miami, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. The “vast majority” of players oppose boarding the flight. This was more of a straw poll than a binding vote, as Major League Baseball possesses decisionmaking authority on scheduling. But the fact it was held at all indicates that the defending World Series champs wished to send a message upstairs.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...-to-miami.html
        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
          Inevitably, there will be players testing positive and dropping out of the season. What concerns me is if the virus takes hold and spreads through a clubhouse and infects a whole team. That would throw a huge monkey wrench into the apparatus, and it could easily happen.
          Well, it didn't take long for that to happen..
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Miami Marlins players reportedly went out in Atlanta before team's COVID-19 outbreak
            https://sports.yahoo.com/miami-marli...222515897.html

Comment

• Star closer Aroldis Chapman is headed back to the Yankees, per ESPN.com’s Marly Rivera. Having previously tested positive for COVID-19, he had to register a pair of negative tests.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...o-yankees.html

Comment

• From ESPN: Manfred has told Tony Clark that he is ready to pull the plug on the 2020 season if the league can't manage the COVID spread any better.
                Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 07-31-2020, 03:56 PM.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told MLB Players Association executive director Tony Clark on Friday that if the sport doesn't do a better job of managing the coronavirus, it could shut down for the season, sources familiar with the conversation told ESPN.

Should another outbreak materialize, Manfred, who has the power to shut down the season, could move in that direction. Multiple players briefed on the call fear the season could be shut down as soon as Monday if positive tests jump or if players continue not to strictly abide by the league's protocols.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ng-coronavirus

Comment

• The problem is probably super-spreading. The last round of tests reported 29 positives, out of 12,000 samples, which is a really low rate. The problem is that 21/29 were players/staff on one team, and I think most of the rest were players and staff on the team they played last. There is a huge element of randomness in infection that often isn't appreciated. One person can get infected, and not spread it to anyone else. Someone else can spread it to many others. And we don't even know how many family members of infected players may also have been infected.

Now I hear that the league doesn't think the Marlins and Phillies can make up all the games they're going to miss, meaning, assuming that the season is actually finished, some teams may play more games than others, and playoff spots might be determined by WP, rather than total number of wins. So, e.g., a 28-27 team would get in ahead of a 29-28 team.
                    Last edited by Stolensingle; 07-31-2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post
                      The problem is probably super-spreading. The last round of tests reported 29 positives, out of 12,000 samples, which is a really low rate. The problem is that 21/29 were players/staff on one team, and I think most of the rest were players and staff on the team they played last. There is a huge element of randomness in infection that often isn't appreciated. One person can get infected, and not spread it to anyone else. Someone else can spread it to many others. And we don't even know how many family members of infected players may also have been infected.

Now I hear that the league doesn't think the Marlins and Phillies can make up all the games they're going to miss, meaning, assuming that the season is actually finished, some teams may play more games than others, and playoff spots might be determined by WP, rather than total number of wins. So, e.g., a 28-27 team would get in ahead of a 29-28 team.
                      ESPN headline: "22-9 Marlins win NLE over 42-18 Braves"

Comment

• After watching the gas cans in the Mets' bullpen cough up a six-run lead last night, I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this joke of a season. With these stupid new rules and the cardboard fans and the fake crowd noise, and the lousy baseball on display (at least in Flushing), it's not worth risking peoples' health and maybe their lives. Pull the plug already.

Comment

• More bad news. I’m hearing at least 4 more Cardinals players have tested positive for Covid.
                          https://twitter.com/trevorplouffe/st...53717121835009

Comment

• From Keith Olbermann's Twitter feed:
                            It goes without saying the Cards can’t play today or tomorrow. A full repeat of the Marlins’ debacle would shut the season down immediately. Sources: MLB told its TV carriers to have alternate programming ready for as early as Monday.

Comment

• Brewers center fielder Lorenzo Cain has opted out of the rest of the 2020 season, according to a team press release. President of baseball operations David Stearns commented on the situation in the release, saying “Lorenzo Cain has informed us that he will not participate for the remainder of the 2020 season. We fully support Lorenzo’s decision, and will miss his talents on the field and leadership in the clubhouse.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...20-season.html

Comment

• Since double headers galore will be needed to make up lost games, MLB now has a new rule: DH games will go only 7 innings. What's next? How about a mercy rule?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X