Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

He's having a terrible year, yes.

He has managed to hit 9 home runs, which is a respectable 33-HR pace, but his batting average is below the Mendoza line.

I bet he would be the first player to bat under .200 after winning back to back batting titles.
    Easily. No b2b winner has had such a precipitous decline... an aging Ted Williams dropped from .388 to .328 to .254 from 1957-59 (his age-38 to -40 seasons), and Ferris Fain dropped ~70 points as well (.327 in 1952 to .256, in his prime), but Yelich is in his prime as well. I'm in the "this BS season doesn't count anyway though" crowd, so I'm giving Yelich a pass for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post

Easily. No b2b winner has had such a precipitous decline... an aging Ted Williams dropped from .388 to .328 to .254 from 1957-59 (his age-38 to -40 seasons), and Ferris Fain dropped ~70 points as well (.327 in 1952 to .256, in his prime), but Yelich is in his prime as well. I'm in the "this BS season doesn't count anyway though" crowd, so I'm giving Yelich a pass for it.
      Joe Torre dropped by 74 points after his batting title. Chipper Jones dropped by 100 points . But these guys never won back-to-back batting titles.
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Joe Torre dropped by 74 points after his batting title. Chipper Jones dropped by 100 points . But these guys never won back-to-back batting titles.
        I bet they didn't do it in 60 games seasons either.

Just like I bet Yelich's BA is nowhere near as bad as it is now in a real season.
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Chipper's dropped by .100 ponts because even for him it was an anamoly. The next year, it turned out, was when age really set in. He still played well enough for that stage in his career, but in the 110-120 OPS+ range.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post

Chipper's dropped by .100 ponts because even for him it was an anamoly. The next year, it turned out, was when age really set in. He still played well enough for that stage in his career, but in the 110-120 OPS+ range.
            It was cool to see him on the .400 pace though, even if it only lasted til mid-June.

Comment

• The Phillies are set to call up former No. 1 overall draft pick Mickey Moniak, per Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia. It’ll be the Major League debut for the 22-year-old outfielder.
              https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ey-moniak.html
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

It was cool to see him on the .400 pace though, even if it only lasted til mid-June.
                Yeah it was pretty cool.
                46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• Ubaldo Jimenez retires:
                  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...z-retires.html

Comment

Of the FORTY-SIX games that the Oakland A's have played this season, THREE GAMES were against teams that are currently .500 or better.
                    Wow! Another strange fact about this strange season. I've always liked the A's though because of their underdog persona, so I hope they go far in the postseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3rdGenCub View Post

Wow! Another strange fact about this strange season. I've always liked the A's though because of their underdog persona, so I hope they go far in the postseason.
                      Would it still be an indictment on Beane, and the Moneyball concept itself, if THIS was the year they finally moved up a level in the postseason*, and/or won the whole thing?!

*Yeah now I’m remembering they were in the 2006 ALCS, and the winless streak they’ve been on since the start of Beane’s tenure has been games where they faced elimination.
                      NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                      Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                      Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• This Phillies bullpen is on track to be the worst in baseball history. (Can we embed tweets on here? Pasting the raw link doesn't seem to work.)
                        Last edited by pedrosrotatorcuff; 09-18-2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

This Phillies bullpen is on track to be the worst in baseball history. (Can we embed tweets on here? Pasting the raw link doesn't seem to work.)
                          I took a screenshot and have posted the tweet here:
                          https://twitter.com/MattGelb/status/1306581597194539010

gelb.png

Comment

• Justin Verlander to undergo Tommy John surgery:
                            https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...n-surgery.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                              Justin Verlander to undergo Tommy John surgery:
                              https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...n-surgery.html
                              Dude should just retire; he's got the HOF resume. But... if he really thinks he'll come back strong for 2022–a tall order for a will-be 39yo power pitcher–then all the power to him I guess. I would rather see him go out strong coming off that Cy win than with a whimper, in the likely case of a failed comeback.
                              Last edited by pedrosrotatorcuff; 09-19-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Ron Gardenhire is retiring as Tigers’ manager, effective immediately, GM Al Avila announced today. Bench coach Lloyd McClendon will take over the manager’s chair for the remainder of the season, per Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Gardenhire intended to step away from the sport at the end of the 2020 season, he informed reporters, but a recent bout with food poisoning contributed to his decision to make the move a week and a half early.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...e-retires.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X