Mariners CEO creates scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariners CEO creates scandal

The Mariners CEO Kevin mather created a scandal.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...-finances.html

First he talked about the lack of languange skills of foreign players -admittedly he was asked but then he said he was "tired of paying an interpreter" for long time mariners pitcher iwakuma.

He also called Kyle seager "probably overpaid" even though he later also toned that down by calling him a good clubhouse presence and finally he openly admitted that top prospects rodriguez and kelenic will be kept down for service time reasons.

Now the latter is normal but generally GMs will never admit that and talk about working on defense or base running as an excuse to not give a player something in case of a grievance.

Not sure if he was drunk or something, usually a man in his position should think before he talks.

He later apologized but the damage is already done.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Looks like he resigned.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...signs-comments

Comment

I do not know if I am old-fashioned or just old, but I remember a time when owners always spoke openly about their players. Steinbrenner had no problem addressing the media when he had concerns. Autry did the same in Anaheim.
      I want to thank the good Lord for making me a yankee."
      -Joe DiMaggio

4 3 5 7 8 8 16 32 37 15 10 9 1 44 23 49
      :radio

Comment

Originally posted by Retire21 View Post
        I do not know if I am old-fashioned or just old,
        I mean, there is a usually a lot of crossover between the two.
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I do not know if I am old-fashioned or just old, but I remember a time when owners always spoke openly about their players. Steinbrenner had no problem addressing the media when he had concerns. Autry did the same in Anaheim.
          There was absolutely no reason for him to say any of those things. "We're tired of paying for an interpreter for [a guy who we really want]" and "[our best player] is probably overpaid" are sentiments that should be kept within the organization.

Also back off, Clemens is ours and eventually we (the BoSox) as an organization and fanbase will come around to accepting him for what he truly was: the greatest pitcher since Big Train.

Comment

Also basically admitting service time manipulation was very stupid, everyone does it but you never admit it.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
              Also basically admitting service time manipulation was very stupid, everyone does it but you never admit it.
              I mean, why keep it a secret? Everyone knows it's being done. A compromise has to be reached at some point where there's no advantage to doing that to a player.
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post
                Also back off, Clemens is ours and eventually we (the BoSox) as an organization and fanbase will come around to accepting him for what he truly was: the greatest pitcher since Big Train.
                Hey, the Rocket is the greatest I ever saw, in The Bronx, Boston, Huston, or north of the border. It was a privilege having him in Pinstripes.

I want to thank the good Lord for making me a yankee."
                -Joe DiMaggio

4 3 5 7 8 8 16 32 37 15 10 9 1 44 23 49
                :radio

Comment

Hey, the Rocket is the greatest I ever saw, in The Bronx, Boston, Huston, or north of the border. It was a privilege having him in Pinstripes.
                  Too bad he cheated. Kinda sucks.
                  "The first draft of anything is crap." - Ernest Hemingway

There's no such thing as an ultimate stat.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                    The Mariners CEO Kevin mather created a scandal.
                    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...-finances.html

First he talked about the lack of languange skills of foreign players.
                    Well, my grandpa always did say "there are too many foreigners in baseball now." (Emphasis on the "foreigners.") And we're talking 20 or 30 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post

Well, my grandpa always did say "there are too many foreigners in baseball now." (Emphasis on the "foreigners.") And we're talking 20 or 30 years ago.
                      He really meant “too many non-whites”
                      Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X