The Official Wander Franco Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Wander Franco Thread

This kid has been ranked the number 1 prospect two years in a row now, and he has the potential to be a generational player of epic proportions. He is almost certain to make the Majors this season, and will likely start in AAA. Just how good do you guys think he'll be? He hit a long HR in Spring Training the other day, and looks great so far.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Many evaluators are saying he is the best prospect they have seen on par with A rod.

I'm a bit sceptical he is that good. Yeah his hit tool seems to be off the charts and he seems to have raw pop too but if you look at his body he doesn't have the classic great body but looks more like Jose Ramirez with a little round body which might not stick at short. He also hits a lot of ground balls which could limit his power upside.

his "floor" is (if he doesn't get hurt which is the ultimate floor of course) probably that he hits .300 with 20 bombs and solid defense at second or third. His ceiling is of course he sticks at short hits .330 with 30 plus bombs.

the hit tool and plate discipline reminds of Juan Soto who also used to hit too many grounders and evolved from that to a premier power threat but projecting that kind of power might be a little optimistic.

yeah there is a chance he can become a short stop playing Juan Soto, but a more conservative assessment is probably that he becomes like a mid to high 20s homer guy with good obp and solid defense
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Is anyone else concerned about his body? Looks a little pudgy to me when I saw him last...perhaps he will have a tendency to add too much bad weight?

Originally posted by dominik View Post
      Many evaluators are saying he is the best prospect they have seen on par with A rod.

I'm a bit sceptical he is that good. Yeah his hit tool seems to be off the charts and he seems to have raw pop too but if you look at his body he doesn't have the classic great body but looks more like Jose Ramirez with a little round body which might not stick at short. He also hits a lot of ground balls which could limit his power upside.

his "floor" is (if he doesn't get hurt which is the ultimate floor of course) probably that he hits .300 with 20 bombs and solid defense at second or third. His ceiling is of course he sticks at short hits .330 with 30 plus bombs.

the hit tool and plate discipline reminds of Juan Soto who also used to hit too many grounders and evolved from that to a premier power threat but projecting that kind of power might be a little optimistic.

yeah there is a chance he can become a short stop playing Juan Soto, but a more conservative assessment is probably that he becomes like a mid to high 20s homer guy with good obp and solid defense
      I missed this in your post before I posted...but I fully agree.
      "Cut off my wrists, and 'Park Chan-Ho, 20 wins!'"
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPqaa9w-_Zs

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
        Is anyone else concerned about his body? Looks a little pudgy to me when I saw him last...perhaps he will have a tendency to add too much bad weight
        Good point. Vlad Jr. has weight issued as well, and so far has not lived up to the massive hype.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post

Good point. Vlad Jr. has weight issued as well, and so far has not lived up to the massive hype.
          Vlad Jr. has lost about 40 lbs since last July. This November 2020 article says he wants to lose 10 more lbs to get down to 235 lbs. If these numbers are accurate it means he weighed 280+ lbs last season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/blue-jays-i...jr-weight-loss
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
            Vlad Jr. has lost about 40 lbs since last July. This November 2020 article says he wants to lose 10 more lbs to get down to 235 lbs. If these numbers are accurate it means he weighed 280+ lbs last season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/blue-jays-i...jr-weight-loss
            I’m going to miss Babe Guerrero.
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

He is nowhere near as pudgy (listed at 5'10, 190) as vlad was last year and there are people who have success with that body like ramirez or Devers but when I think about the best prospect ever what some wrote I would expect more of a body like Arod or griffey.

That being said his hit tool seems off the charts, last time in high A ball he struck out less than 7% and walked more than 11%.

That means even if he "only" hits 20 bombs a year he could be an altuve or Murphy like hitter with more walks which makes his floor very high and there is room for more power.
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

He is nowhere near as pudgy (listed at 5'10, 190) as vlad was last year and there are people who have success with that body like ramirez or Devers but when I think about the best prospect ever what some wrote I would expect more of a body like Arod or griffey.

That being said his hit tool seems off the charts, last time in high A ball he struck out less than 7% and walked more than 11%.

That means even if he "only" hits 20 bombs a year he could be an altuve or Murphy like hitter with more walks which makes his floor very high and there is room for more power.
                Vlad Jr is listed at 6'2". His dad is 6'3".
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I was talking about Franco

Comment

I was talking about Franco
                    Gotcha...I misread your post.

Comment

My dad was an inch taller than me too. I heard that it's sorta a rarity for a son to be shorter than his dad.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post

My dad was an inch taller than me too. I heard that it's sorta a rarity for a son to be shorter than his dad.
                        Did he marry a short woman?

Comment

Did he marry a short woman?
                          Nope. Mom was 5'7.

Comment

I think listed athlete heights are sometimes a bit fanciful, like listed movie star heights.

My fear is a thread like this, at this point in time, can jinx the poor kid. Perhaps, somewhere at the back of this sub-forum, there might lurk an Official Jurickson Profar Thread. And I could swear there was an Official Clint Hartung Thread that disappeared a few software updates ago.

Give the young fellow some breathing room.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

It is really an exciting time for great young international hitters. With Soto, acuna, Tatis there are 3 really great potential young hitters and Franco and Guerrero are not quite there yet but have high potential too.

On the domestic side it doesn't look quite so great. There are some good young guys but so far only bellinger among the around 25 guys seems to have true star potential.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X