This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Regular Season Thread

This may be what we come to know as the full season sandwiched between the 2020 lockdown and the 2022 lockout. I hope it gets played in full, but naturally nothing's a lock.

Play ball!
    Put it in the books.

Happy opening day everyone!
    Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
    http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post
      Happy opening day everyone!
      Not so happy for fans of the Mets and Nats.
      https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...-covid-19.html
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

The first homer of the season... Miggy thought it was a double!

Comment

Great share Pedro, any chance Miggy could have a dead-bounce campaign?!
          Would be cool to see an all-star level season.
          Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
          http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Fans in the stands, hot dogs and beer, may this season be played in entirety with few or no postponements, as the season progresses. Sorry to hear of the Mets-Nats game today. Play ball.
            The saddest day of the year is the day that baseball season ends.

Comment

Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred announced Friday that the league will relocate the All-Star Game and 2021 Amateur Draft, which had been set to take place in Atlanta, Ga.

“Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views,” Manfred said in a statement announcing the decision.

"Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box. In 2020, MLB became the first professional sports league to join the non-partisan Civic Alliance to help build a future in which everyone participates in shaping the United States. We proudly used our platform to encourage baseball fans and communities throughout our country to perform their civic duty and actively participate in the voting process. Fair access to voting continues to have our game’s unwavering support."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...ta-voting.html
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred announced Friday that the league will relocate the All-Star Game and 2021 Amateur Draft, which had been set to take place in Atlanta, Ga.

“Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views,” Manfred said in a statement announcing the decision.

"Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box. In 2020, MLB became the first professional sports league to join the non-partisan Civic Alliance to help build a future in which everyone participates in shaping the United States. We proudly used our platform to encourage baseball fans and communities throughout our country to perform their civic duty and actively participate in the voting process. Fair access to voting continues to have our game’s unwavering support."

MLB has been on thin ice with me for the last year, but this is pushing me to a point where supporting them makes me feel like I'm compromising my own dignity. They're just another evil corporation as far as I'm concerned. I think I'll stick to appreciating baseball's history and ignoring this current mess.
                Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Moving the AS game surprises this fan. Just did not think it would happen, because of how it would inconvenience fans who already had tix, reservations and summer plans. It is risky, but then maybe it is risky either way.

Maybe ticket sales are irrelevant, when some 20-25% of capacity is the target.

IMHO, Manfred probably does not wish to appear as bad as the PGA. Anyone would expect the Masters to respond with a tin ear to this topic.

FWTW, surprised anyway.
                  Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

While listening to the Red Sox broadcast, their guys were discussing where the game would be moved. The big reason for my surprise on the matter is the expected celebration over Hank Aaron.

So,... which city would also be glad to celebrate Hank? How about Milwaukee?
                    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                      While listening to the Red Sox broadcast, their guys were discussing where the game would be moved. The big reason for my surprise on the matter is the expected celebration over Hank Aaron.

So,... which city would also be glad to celebrate Hank? How about Milwaukee?
                      Milwaukee would certainly be a fitting alternative.

They also mentioned Los Angeles, which lost it last year and now has it in '22. I wouldn't be against it being held in the same locale two years straight, but I don't see the need when there are 28 other options.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

MLB doing good work. Move it to Milwaukee for this year (the MLB city next-most-associated with Henry Louis Aaron in memoriam), keep it in LA for 2022, shift the rest of the ASG host schedule one year forward/back as necessary for Milwaukee's change, bam, done.

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post

MLB has been on thin ice with me for the last year, but this is pushing me to a point where supporting them makes me feel like I'm compromising my own dignity. They're just another evil corporation as far as I'm concerned. I think I'll stick to appreciating baseball's history and ignoring this current mess.
                          Then appreciate 1947 and Jackie Robinson striking a blow against bigotry.

Appreciate the players--INCLUDING Henry Aaron--who were involved in the Civil Rights movement that law subverts.

Appreciate the Negro Leagues' history--newly recognized as a major league this year by MLB...because, you know, they weren't ALLOWED to be recognized as such in their own time...

And appreciate that the same people who kept Negro Leaguers out of in the Major Leagues typically wanted to keep "certain people" from voting.

THAT'S "history"--baseball's AND the country's--and that's what's at stake in Georgia.
                          Last edited by Shea Knight; 04-02-2021, 02:43 PM.
                          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

First thing Manfred's done that I can agree with.
                            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post

Then appreciate 1947 and Jackie Robinson striking a blow against bigotry.

Appreciate the players--INCLUDING Henry Aaron--who were involved in the Civil Rights movement that law subverts.

Appreciate the Negro Leagues' history--newly recognized as a major league this year by MLB...because, you know, they weren't ALLOWED to be recognized as such in their own time...

And appreciate that the same people who kept Negro Leaguers out of in the Major Leagues typically wanted to keep "certain people" from voting.

THAT'S "history"--baseball's AND the country's--and that's what's at stake in Georgia.
                              I admire your moral courage. Holding the opinion that the entire corporate/media establishment tells you to hold on the situation in Georgia. You sure are a righteous one, you are.
                              Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X