Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 inning Doubleheaders

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

    I agree with you. I was only saying that if Haddix's were to count as a perfect game then Pedro's would too.
    Neither should count as a perfect "GAME" under any rule. Neither finished with either pitcher having retired all the batters. They were both excellent pitching performances, especially Haddix going 12 innings like he did.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by LarrySC View Post

      Neither should count as a perfect "GAME" under any rule. Neither finished with either pitcher having retired all the batters. They were both excellent pitching performances, especially Haddix going 12 innings like he did.
      Again....we agree!
      Last edited by GiambiJuice; 04-18-2021, 07:18 AM.
      My top 10 players:

      1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
        It's the most egregious rule change of the past several years, second only to extra innings starting with a runner on second.
        Ya know, for a while, it didn't occur to me why this was true. I'm so against the 7-inning game that I think I became blind to the fact that extra-inning games occur way more than doubleheaders, especially in the 21st Century.

        So, now that I think of it, I think you're right that the 7-inning game is second on on the list of most egregious rules.
        Put it in the books.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by milladrive View Post

          Ya know, for a while, it didn't occur to me why this was true. I'm so against the 7-inning game that I think I became blind to the fact that extra-inning games occur way more than doubleheaders, especially in the 21st Century.

          So, now that I think of it, I think you're right that the 7-inning game is second on on the list of most egregious rules.
          I was opposed to the 3-batter minimum per reliever rule, but that doesn't fundamentally change the nature and language of the game like these other two aberrations do. The thing is, like many of the recent rule changes, they don't substantively address the so-called "problems" with the game and, are certainly not necessary to any justifiable degree for their implementation.

          I applaud MLB for seeking to improve the quality of the game. Sadly, their proposed prescriptions for the alleged illnesses prove that they shouldn't have a license to practice.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

          Comment


          • #20
            Screenshot_20210425-192503_Twitter.jpg
            ............
            My top 10 players:

            1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
              Congrats indeed.

              I know it's been asked and answered before, but is it accurate to say it's officially a complete game but not a no-hitter?
              Put it in the books.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by milladrive View Post

                Congrats indeed.

                I know it's been asked and answered before, but is it accurate to say it's officially a complete game but not a no-hitter?
                MLB.com credits him with a shutout (and thus a complete game) so that must be correct.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Bumgarner should be credited with throwing a no hit GAME as the contest was scheduled to be only 7 innings of regulation play. How can they recognize the game as a CG and a SO if they won't also include it as being a no hitter?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by LarrySC View Post
                    Bumgarner should be credited with throwing a no hit GAME as the contest was scheduled to be only 7 innings of regulation play. How can they recognize the game as a CG and a SO if they won't also include it as being a no hitter?
                    A pitcher/pitchers must go at least nine innings in a complete hitless effort for it to count officially–I guess they forgot to account for this new rule change or just didn't care. Just another "feature"/bug with these 7-inning "games".

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post

                      A pitcher/pitchers must go at least nine innings in a complete hitless effort for it to count officially–I guess they forgot to account for this new rule change or just didn't care. Just another "feature"/bug with these 7-inning "games".
                      The rule was changed way back in 1991, before the new edict about double header GAMES only being 7 innings. The rule committee should have updated the standard to include the new way GAMES are scheduled. How could they count Bumgarner's outing as a complete GAME and a shutout GAME but not a no hit GAME?
                      Last edited by LarrySC; 05-03-2021, 03:22 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by LarrySC View Post

                        The rule was changed way back in 1991, before the new edict about double header GAMES only being 7 innings. The rule committee should have updated the standard to include the new way GAMES are scheduled. How could they count Bumgarner's outing as a complete GAME and a shutout GAME but not a no hit GAME?
                        I couldn't agree more.
                        Put it in the books.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          The 3 batter minimum and the 7 inning double header are horrible inventions IMO. My proposal was that we limit the active roster size, for each game so the manager would select players who would be able to enter the game. The number could be 14 for example, which would allow 5 bench/bullpen players. This would also make it strategically beneficial to have starting pitchers go longer and would make one-out appearances harder to justify, but still legal. If we combined this with bigger ballparks, we could also get more hits (because pitchers would have to conserve energy) but also cut down on home runs and get more variety of outcomes.
                          Last edited by brett; 05-04-2021, 05:50 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Hot take: I like the 7-inning double headers.

                            I am shocked that all of the people here who hate modern baseball so much aren't happy they have to suffer a little bit less on these occasions.

                            I THOUGHT I would like the three batter rule....but I do not.
                            Kinda indifferent on the extra-inning rule.
                            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                            1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                            1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                            The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              What is the reasoning behind the belief that the 3-batter minimum rule is "bad" ? Because one-/two-out specialists suddenly have to work more and managers have to strategize a little more?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post
                                What is the reasoning behind the belief that the 3-batter minimum rule is "bad" ? Because one-/two-out specialists suddenly have to work more and managers have to strategize a little more?
                                I just don't like how the rule keeps playing-out for my favorite team. It keeps biting my Birds in the butt. Being totally self-serving here
                                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                                1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                                1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                                The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X