Sticky substances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

Shifting has been going on for years... From 2000-2019, BABIP has been remarkably consistent, with a high of 0.303 and low of 0.293 (twice about 15 years ago), with most years in the 0.295-0.300 range.

This year it is down to 0.289, which is unusual though.
    In case anybody cares, a .05 decline is about 20 runs per season for a team.

The biggest reason that it LOOKS like sifting isn't making a difference is because a massive chunk of BIP that used to be long flyouts (extremely ow BABIP) are now HRs. What is making-up most of the pool (line drives and GBs that stay in the park) SHOULD be very high in terms of BABIP...but they are not. We should be seeing much higher than .300 BABIPS.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Pete Alonzo coming out and saying that he does not want substances banned. Says guys throwing 99 with no control is dangerous.
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post

The next step on that is the response to "why don't they hit the other way or bunt" "they don't know how to bunt and with the speeds and movement it's not that easy to just hit the other way."

In theory, this could make it easier to hit the other way, assuming one can swing in a different manner than he has been trained since junior high
        Bring back Ichiro!

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Gallanter View Post

Bring back Ichiro!
          Become a White Sox fan...you'd love Nick Madrigal.

The 1906 "Hitless Wonders" Chicago White Sox were the greatest team of all time.
          Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

Become a White Sox fan...you'd love Nick Madrigal.
            "Nicky Two Strikes" is one of the best real hitters I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd Gondolli View Post

"Nicky Two Strikes" is one of the best real hitters I've seen.

He is very enjoyable to watch hit. Fielding needs work, especially in the mental aspect of the game.

Sadly he injured his leg a few days ago...hope it isn't bad.

The 1906 "Hitless Wonders" Chicago White Sox were the greatest team of all time.
              Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Comment

Major League Baseball will distribute a memo to teams today outlining its plans for enforcing a ban on foreign substances, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN. Players found with illicit substances on their person will be suspended for ten days, with pay, with enforcement expected to begin on June 21, per Passan.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...tance-use.html
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Rays ace Tyler glasnow got injured in the forearm Which looks like it will be a UCL Injury and he blames the enforcement of the no substance rule on it because he changed his grip
                  I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                    Rays ace Tyler glasnow got injured in the forearm Which looks like it will be a UCL Injury and he blames the enforcement of the no substance rule on it because he changed his grip
                    Lol, that's not warped reasoning at all. Tyler "Pretzel Logic" Glasnow.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Sounds like a "Royal Scam" to me.
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                        Major League Baseball will distribute a memo to teams today outlining its plans for enforcing a ban on foreign substances, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN. Players found with illicit substances on their person will be suspended for ten days, with pay, with enforcement expected to begin on June 21, per Passan.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...tance-use.html
                        I don't know how this played out between the players and MLB, but if Trevor Bauer's comments on social media are accurate - that MLB assured the players this spring there would be no mid-season rule change and then did it anyway - then that's bad faith action on their part. While foreign substances have technically been illegal for a century, if MLB is getting stricter with the rule or just deciding to enforce it more stringently, pitchers should have been given notice so that those who aren't really up to mischief (e.g. Glasnow) have a sufficient period of time to make adjustments. The "cold turkey" business mid-season really is bad form on MLB's part.
                        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                          I don't know how this played out between the players and MLB, but if Trevor Bauer's comments on social media are accurate - that MLB assured the players this spring there would be no mid-season rule change and then did it anyway - then that's bad faith action on their part. While foreign substances have technically been illegal for a century, if MLB is getting stricter with the rule or just deciding to enforce it more stringently, pitchers should have been given notice so that those who aren't really up to mischief (e.g. Glasnow) have a sufficient period of time to make adjustments. The "cold turkey" business mid-season really is bad form on MLB's part.
                          If he's not up to mischief, then why did he suddenly change his grip? He should have no beef. In fact, why would anyone need to adjust if they're not cheating?

The only pitchers with an issue here are the cheaters, and Glasnow is deflecting the responsibility away from himself. Pretty weak in my view.
                          Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                            Good. I'm happy for him, earning his just desserts. Play baseball correctly and you don't have this issue. No different than a gang member getting shot when holding up a liqueur store. If you played by the rules, it wouldn't have happened to you. If you take a chance, and something bad happens to you, the fault lies upon...yourself.

Scumbag (Glasnow, not Dominik! ).

If his career is ruined, he only has himself to blame. If he loses millions of dollars, I hope he looks back at himself and holds himself accountable.

But I doubt it.
                            Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; Yesterday, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Once again, this amounts to bad leadership from Manfred. IMHO, I'm not for or against the substance abuse issue per se. However, the fact that it became an issue in midseason looks bad from all angles. What were they doing last year? Did they have their ear to the ground years ago? Are they trying to suggest this is a brand new issue from out of the blue?

Even if the supposed sole supplier of Spider Tack is truly just that, then it was easier to trace and track the whole time. Last year, they quite literally had nothing else to do. They could have investigated as much as necessary, even if all that investigation was by Zoom calls. Progress could have been made, and a policy established over the Winter.

Instead, as I have ranted on previous posts, they were more interested in obtaining views from their CPAs over instant baserunner solutions to shorten games. Other rule changes were made which have been discussed elsewhere, of course. In other words, their real priority is the bottom line over imaginary issues challenging that bottom line. The players have a legitimate gripe that their interests were secondary.

Repeating, I take no side over the use of Spider Tack or anything like it. That is because we watch a game of shenanigans,.... period. We pay to watch it, attend it, buy merchandise to promote that game of shenanigans. Pitchers have the right to play their game just as hitters have the right to steal signs..... even through the use of technology to steal said signs. Shenanigans people.... it ain't ever going to be the PGA. Oh, and a lot of people wouldn't be upset over a game of shenanigans except they lost a bundle on gambling because of the tricks. Then, they have an opinion.

What you don't do is change horses in midstream. Even the most out of place cowboy knows that.
                              Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Separate take, same topic.

Michael Wilbon on ESPN's PTI has stated that his real issue with hitters today is that they are not trying to learn to hit as they need to. Go the other way when half the infield is empty. Use batting practice to do just that, since that is what batting practice is for..... to learn to do what you don't do well YET.

If the hitters did such, they wouldn't be complaining, since cheap dribblers and Texas league popups look like line drives in the boxscore, as the saying has always had it. What's that? Players and fans don't know what a boxscore is? Fascinating. Learn to read Captain Cluelesses, and start with books on hitting where it is advised to keep one's head still in order to better keep an eye on the ball. In other words, if you swing from the heels trying to hit the ball to the moon, by moving your head an iota of a millimeter, all the batting gloves and swing changes in the world have been lost. The... ways.... of....the....ancients folks. Stop reading BornYesterday.com and get with it.

Blaming it on Sticky Tack is an excuse, even if the stuff works and RPMs increased. Again.... cheap hits count. Half the infield is empty against half of you. Professional pitchers are not going to make as many mistakes as you are counting upon.

BTW, choking up on the bat might help you pull off a check swing more often. Your agents wouldn't know a line drive from a sliced drive off the teebox.
                                Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X