Baseball's best kept secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Chad Tracy is for real.

Last year it looks like he got off to a bit of a slow start (at least comparatively) finding his emerging power stroke.
    April: .282/.293/.780
    May: .264/.295/.720
    June: .420/.481/1.118
    July: .241/.327/.844
    August: .274/.330/.865
    September: .389/.440/1.173

After May his line was: .325/.390/.601/.991 with a modest 30/53 BB/K in 338 ABs.

It's probably good to see he had two great non-consecutive months.

One problem with him is he's been pretty bad vs. lefties. Last year, his raw power wasn't much worse, and the walk rate was actually better, but the average was pretty bad. Perhaps with experience he can learn to hit southpaws.

Looking at his minor league stats, the stats last year seem reasonable. In the minors he kept a high BA (~.335) and while his home run rate was low, his doubles rate was quite high, foreshadowing a power spike. And he did that with a low K rate.

Anyway, many suspect he could be a fluke. However I came to the conclusion that Tracy can maintain this level of power/avg. combination. But by a slightly different route.

It was based on line drive %, balls in play data, and ISO.

Here's an article on hardballtimes.com called " graphing chad tracy ". It proves Chad Tracy's 2005 wasnt a fluke.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...ng-chad-tracy/

Comment

Melvin Mora? Maybe? He has batted close to or over .300 for the past 3 seasons and came close to leading the league in BA a couple years again.

Aaron Hill. Talk about top prospects and you never hear this guy's name mentioned. Let's see how many people on here actually know what team he plays for.

Kelly Johnson/Ryan Langerhans. See above (except for the bit about not knowing his team). These guys are Braves.

Comment

Originally posted by MapleSyrupMan
        Melvin Mora? Maybe? He has batted close to or over .300 for the past 3 seasons and came close to leading the league in BA a couple years again.

Aaron Hill. Talk about top prospects and you never hear this guy's name mentioned. Let's see how many people on here actually know what team he plays for.

Kelly Johnson/Ryan Langerhans. See above (except for the bit about not knowing his team). These guys are Braves.
        Aaron Hill plays 2b for Toronto

Comment

I'd have to say Jorge Cantu. He gets no credit for being a legitmate All-Star at second base. (.286/ 28/ 117 in '05) I'm hoping he can step up his stealing, which would make him a great complete player.
          WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Originally posted by Zito75
            I'd have to say Jorge Cantu. He gets no credit for being a legitmate All-Star at second base. (.286/ 28/ 117 in '05) I'm hoping he can step up his stealing, which would make him a great complete player.
            I'd have to agree with you, I looked at his stats today and I though 117 was a typo. That's more than Derrek Lee, Miguel Cabrera, Vladimir Guerrero, and just as many as Albert Pujols (yes that Albert Pujols).

I consider myself to be pretty baseball knowledgeable, but that came as a complete surprise to me.

Question to the non-Cubs fans here: do you know Aramis Ramirez? It seems like he's under the radar, but I wouldn't know.
            Last edited by E.Banks#14; 02-25-2006, 09:14 PM.
            A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Originally posted by E.Banks#14
              I'd have to agree with you, I looked at his stats today and I though 117 was a typo. That's more than Derrek Lee, Miguel Cabrera, Vladimir Guerrero, and just as many as Albert Pujols (yes that Albert Pujols).

I consider myself to be pretty baseball knowledgeable, but that came as a complete surprise to me.

Question to the non-Cubs fans here: do you know Aramis Ramirez? It seems like he's under the radar, but I wouldn't know.
              Aramis Ramirez, came to the Cubs via Pittsburgh.... had a breakout season when he was around 23 or 24 then slump the next

Maybe I'm just very knowledgable... but I've known every single person listed, and they werent that hard... just figured most people would know these players, I mean it is baseball fever

Comment

Originally posted by Astro
                Aramis Ramirez, came to the Cubs via Pittsburgh.... had a breakout season when he was around 23 or 24 then slump the next

Maybe I'm just very knowledgable... but I've known every single person listed, and they werent that hard... just figured most people would know these players, I mean it is baseball fever
                I guess he's on your radar.
                A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

You should have seen him play at LSU.

Last year for Toronto, he played 35 games at 3B, 22 games at 2B, 16 at SS.

Comment

I know all players mention in this topic as well. I have to agree a lot of them don't get the public attention they deserve. Remember when Vlad was in Montreal? Nobody knew how great of a player he was until he moved to Anaheim. That just was not right.

Comment

Aaron Hill.
                      The kid had like a good month and a half and then dissapeared. Harldy enough to call him the best kept secret in baseball IMO.

Anyway, my vote goes to Grady Sizemore. In only his second year he put up 111 runs. 185 hits. 37 doubles. 22 HR. 89 RBI. 22 SB. and had a .289 AVG. And most people wouldnt know him if he walked into their kitchen holding a sign that said "Hey, I'm Grady Sizemore!"
                      Hey umpire, he's got a horse in his pocket!!

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                        I know all players mention in this topic as well. I have to agree a lot of them don't get the public attention they deserve. Remember when Vlad was in Montreal? Nobody knew how great of a player he was until he moved to Anaheim. That just was not right.
                        What are you talking about ??? I live in Montreal and the Expos fans adored him , he was our star and all the other fans and teams when they came to play or see him they knew all about his talent and also adored him.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                          Remember when Vlad was in Montreal? Nobody knew how great of a player he was until he moved to Anaheim. That just was not right.
                          That's a good one. His Numbers were increadible considering he played in the massive, Olympic Stadium and in a division with Shea, Dolphin Stadium and Turner Field.

I think an even better example, is Orlando Cabrera. He didn't get the praise he deserved until he won the WS with Boston. Despite his gold glove, no one knew how good he was until then.
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by whosyourpapi
                            What are you talking about ??? I live in Montreal and the Expos fans adored him , he was our star and all the other fans and teams when they came to play or see him they knew all about his talent and also adored him.
                            I don't recall saying Expos fans didn't adore him or even know he existed. Outside of Montreal, you think people really knew how good of a baseball player Vlad? Sorry, but a few fans of other teams that came to see him play and adore him don't make up the majority or make Vlad very well known outside Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontarioguy
                              I think an even better example, is Orlando Cabrera. He didn't get the praise he deserved until he won the WS with Boston. Despite his gold glove, no one knew how good he was until then.
                              And he's yet again out of the public eye. Still one of the best defensive shortstops around.

Comment

I don't think Randy Winn is talked about too much. He has put up pretty solid numbers his whole career but had a breakout half-season with Da Jints last year. If he keeps it up, you KNOW he will be much more in the public eye (especially being on the same team as The Great Mr. Bonds).
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X