Baseball's best kept secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evangelion
    I don't recall saying Expos fans didn't adore him or even know he existed. Outside of Montreal, you think people really knew how good of a baseball player Vlad? Sorry, but a few fans of other teams that came to see him play and adore him don't make up the majority or make Vlad very well known outside Montreal.

I think I have to disagree with you on this point, Evangelion, even when he was back in Montreal I would have conversations with just casual baseball fans, who could only name a few major players per team, and they would say over and over how good he was, his arm, his bat, his stealing.

Or maybe just people from Massachusetts are more knowledgeable about baseball (I don't really think this is true.)
    "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
    -Don Fehr

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
      I don't recall saying Expos fans didn't adore him or even know he existed. Outside of Montreal, you think people really knew how good of a baseball player Vlad? Sorry, but a few fans of other teams that came to see him play and adore him don't make up the majority or make Vlad very well known outside Montreal.
      When he was a free agent, after his back injury, it was said that if the Yankees had gotten him, that would've been totally unfair to the other teams. This was said by both AL & NL fans alike.

He was well-known as amongst the finest players, both defensively (especially that bazooka arm), as well as offensively, re his slugging.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by giantsalltheway16
        I don't think Randy Winn is talked about too much. He has put up pretty solid numbers his whole career but had a breakout half-season with Da Jints last year. If he keeps it up, you KNOW he will be much more in the public eye (especially being on the same team as The Great Mr. Bonds).
        That, and the dude hit for the cycle last year.
        Ask me to change my sig! Sig changed 7 times, last change requested by MapleSyrupMan!

...Just so you all know, I love being quoted. Even if you're ripping apart my post as awful and stupid, I don't care. Quote me.

Officially boycotting all threads with steroid talk; let's focus on the good of the game.

Comment

IMO, Jason Varitek still doesnt get the respect he deserves. I think hes a much better player than Posada.He is much more valuabe to his team.

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
            IMO, Jason Varitek still doesnt get the respect he deserves. I think hes a much better player than Posada.He is much more valuabe to his team.
            Varitek gets more publicity than Posada.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I'm going to second whoever voted for Grady Sizemore.
              ?

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
                If anything, Victor Martinez doesn't get the respect he deserves for the numbers he's been posting. Even have a miserable start to last season, he still rebound and put solid numbers up. If asked, I have to say Victor Martinez is the best catcher in MLB at the moment.

V-tek brings over qualities to table such as leadership and how he works with the pitchers. Not too familar in Martinez in those type of qualities.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice
                  Varitek gets more publicity than Posada.
                  Publicity and Respect are two diffrent things.Dennis Rodman got a lot of publicity too

Comment

Here are the most underrated players from last year. Just check out some of their stats.

Chad Tracy
                    Kyle Farnsworth
                    Jorge Sosa – I think he had the best winning percentage in the NL
                    Tony Clark – 30 home runs in how many at bats?! And he hit over .300 This guy was THE MOST UNDERRATED in baseball last year
                    Ryan Freel
                    Brian Fuentes – this guy kept his ERA under 3.00 in Coors
                    Dan Wheeler – better than Lidge? More innings, lower ERA, fewer walks
                    Doug Davis – 200 Ks
                    Chris Capuano
                    Jorge Reyes
                    Kenny Lofton – I know he’s a fading star, but didn’t he have the highest batting average of anyone with at least 150 at bats last year?
                    Placido Polanco
                    Brett Myers – 200 Ks
                    Chase Utley
                    Adam Fultz
                    Zack Duke
                    Scott Linebrink – way better than Trevor Hoffman last year
                    Mike Timlin
                    Jermane Dye – didn’t he win the World Series MVP? Still had an underrated season.
                    Jorge Cantu
                    Julio Lugo
                    Eddie Guardado – good comeback
                    Rich Harden
                    Justin Duchscherer – I know he was an all-star, but no one knew who he was at midseason (and still seems like no one knows who he his since being overshadowed by Huston Street)
                    Mark Ellis
                    Scott Shields
                    Garret Anderson – I just think this guy is underrated all-together
                    Chone Figgins
                    Rondell White
                    Carlos Guillen – had a great year for the time that he was healthy
                    Dustin Hermanson – even though he’s on the champs, I never hear anyone mention him
                    Luis Ayala
                    Jae Seo
                    Hector Carrasco
                    Salomon Torres
                    Bob Howry
                    Juan Rincon
                    Carlos Silva – I want to see if this guy can go a whole season without walking anyone
                    Cliff Lee – best winning percentage in the AL
                    Jesse Crain
                    Tom Gordon – I feel he was underrated for what he did last year
                    Omar Vizquel – he just keeps plugging away despite living in a time of the super shortstops
                    Todd Jones – I guess I never felt like he got enough credit for his accomplishments last season
                    Derrick Turnbow – same as Todd Jones

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X