Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doctor x: This is a written medium.
    any other eye openers for me?

If you are disappointed with the reception of your correspondence...
    not disappointed, but amused.

cummings proved inaccurate claiming he "wrote like the Greek did"...
    agreed. he ought to have gone with "as the greek did".
    you seem to be fixated with the useage of upper and lower cases (cummings used both, by the way) rather than the fact that cummings was both essayist and poet.
    it figures though, that you, who judges, allows type to get in the way of message.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
      Clemens wont go to jail. He is friends with the Bush's and half of Congress. The whole thing is a flim flam farce
      Who cares.

This thing he created will follow close behind him until he is in his grave.

Am I being a little harsh?

I saw him pitch at Fenway in '91. I cherished the rather poor quality pictures I took of him on the mound.

Now they go out with the rest of the refuse.

Thanks for the memories, Rog.
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
        any other eye openers for me?
        See above.

not disappointed, but amused.
        Your failure is not amusing.

you seem to be fixated with the useage [Sic--Ed.] of upper and lower cases (cummings used both, by the way) rather than the fact that cummings was both essayist and poet.
        It appears your failure to comprehend is a syndrome rather than an isolated incident. I merely note that your failure at the basics seem connected to your overall failure with communication. That you do not care merely affirms you lack the respect readers necessary to succeed in communication. As such, your complaints regarding how your words are read prove deliciously hypocritical.

Blames the reader for his failure to communicate.

Sorry to make you cry.

--J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes View Post

I saw him pitch at Fenway in '91. I cherished the rather poor quality pictures I took of him on the mound.

Game. Set. Match.

On another thread over in the section devoted to the Glorious Red Sox [PBUT--Ed.] I related the feelings of a friend who is a serious Yankees fan. He was devastated by the revelations of Clemens, but not in a "Yankees vs. Red Sox" way. He was not in the mood for the normal partisan jokes--and he had been the first to joke about Schillings' "painted sock" last season!

No, he was seriously upset.

Clemens, as he explained, was a player he followed and admired since he was a wee spud. He enjoyed his pitching when Clemens was a Red Sox; his achievements transcended the fan-partisanship. "Every kid, when they wanted to imagine being a pitcher, wanted to be Roger Clemens."

Indeed.

Now those memories seemed, to him, as lies.

--J.D.

Comment

doctor x: your complaints regarding how your words are read prove deliciously hypocritical.
            i do not have complaints. to the contrary, i am being amused.

That you do not care merely affirms you lack the respect readers necessary to succeed in communication.
            how did you arrive at this, that i do not care?
            if i did not care, i would not have responded at all.
            if i did not care, i would be indifferent towards you.
            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
              i do not have complaints.
              Behavior demonstrates otherwise.

how did you arrive at this, that i do not care?
              I refer the individual to the answer I gave previously and his behavior discussed extensively.

It is really not terribly complicated.

--J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes View Post
                Who cares.

Am I being a little harsh?

i care because it is a double standard. Clemens the hero gets off because everyone likes him and is willing to turn a blind eye...where Bonds the vilan gets fryed because nobody likes him and wants to see him go down. Both these guys did the same thing and are being treated very differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                  i care because it is a double standard.
                  Methinks his question was rhetorical; however, I do not see a double-standard. There are certainly blind Clemens fans and haters as there have been with Bonds. With Bonds, there has been far more time to digest the evidence such as that detailed in a book. Yet, there were plenty of "wonks" on, say, ESPN who would jump up and down about how Bonds did not have a positive steroid test.

If anything, the response to Clemens has been very negative from fans in general and even the "wonks" and legitimate sports writers. This is after less than a week.

It is too early in the process for both to see what will happen in the end, and it is far earlier for Clemens.

--J.D.

Comment

I understand where you're coming from and I agree there is a double standard.
                    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Okay . . . explain.

--J.D.

Comment

Off topic, but maybe congress should simply revoke the antitrust exemption and move on from there - cases like Bonds would
                        be dwarves compared to other issues.

EDIT: just wanna┬┤ say this was the first time I got edited (rightfully) in twelve years of posting on BB message boards
                        Last edited by FatAngel; 02-16-2008, 12:11 AM.

Comment

doctor x: "failure at the basics seem connected to your overall failure with communication."
                          "That you do not care merely affirms you lack the respect readers necessary to succeed in communication."
                          "It is really not terribly complicated."

good day to you, dr.

Comment

Im surprised he is actually going to jail!

Comment

Well . . . he has not been convicted yet.

Nevertheless, given that Marion Jones settled for 6 months, if Bonds gets convicted, I do not see how he avoids jail time.

--J.D.

Comment

Do we honestly need 10 Clemens and 10 Bonds threads? I mean, I know the people engulfed in the steroid drama deserve a place to talk as well... however, how about the rest of us that'd like to actually talk about baseball? Just make a "STEROIDS" board and get it over with. It's ridiculous the same five people start a new steroid thread every 10 minutes... enough is enough.
                                Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
                                In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X