stick a fork in bonds, he's done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    in all of the mountain of evidence confiscated by the feds, they have exactly one test result with a positive outcome. because bonds was tested numerous times, it is possible that if in fact he did use, he did so for only a short period of time / not many times.
    A single positive test would normally require a second test to rule out the possibility of a false positive, no?

Comment

Depends on the nature of the test.

Nevertheless, one's head does not grow in size secondary to usage for a "short period of time/ not many times."

FYI. . . .

--J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes View Post
        So there is a baseball God.

With any luck, Bonds and Clemens will be sharing a cell.
        I hope!!!
        And I'm starting to puke if one of those :grouchy will ever be introduced into the HOF
        sorry for some grammar mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
          i care because it is a double standard. Clemens the hero gets off because everyone likes him and is willing to turn a blind eye...where Bonds the vilan gets fryed because nobody likes him and wants to see him go down. Both these guys did the same thing and are being treated very differently.
          I don't know about Clemens being a hero. He may not be as unpopular as Barry Bonds, but he never seemed like the highly beloved figure that Sammy Sosa was in 1998. Of the frequently accused, Sosa was the only one with the great smile and got lots of love from the general audience.

If people were willing to turn a blind eye to Roger Clemens, then why was his name in the Mitchell Report? Why did he testify in front of the US House, much to the criticism of many baseball fans who've openly said that his credibility was very low after that testimony. How is this seen as people "looking the other way"?

Bonds is on trial after the uproar begin following the 2001 season. Clemens is not yet presently on trial. Clemens had two former teammates (Pettitte and Knoblauch) agree that his accuser, Brian McNamee, had told the truth in the Mitchell Report when discussing themselves. Does Barry Bonds have two teammates who've agreed with his accuser?

Has Greg Anderson testified against Barry Bonds? Not in the Mitchell Report and not in the US House of Representatives against Bonds. In fact, Anderson was in jail and wasn't released until Bonds had been indicted.

Now if the situation were reversed, and it was Bonds who had the two teammates claiming that Anderson told the truth about themselves, and and Anderson called Bonds a liar, testified against Bonds in the Mitchell Report *AND* in the House, then gave physical evidence he'd kept on Bonds, would there still be allegations of a double standard?

To make things even more interesting, had it been Roger Clemens who had Brian McNamee being in jail the whole time but only released once the indictment had been set, and had Clemens said that he had not *KNOWINGLY* used steroids, which to me, is a total reverse of the present situation, would there still be cries of a double standard?

In my opinion, Bonds has a better chance to be acquitted, but Clemens, especially with his accuser agent and his teammates causing doubt on his credibility, has gotten the worst treatment. I'm not even hearing much about Bonds right now. Clemens, by comparison, is definitely in the hot seat.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by freshprince85 View Post
            I hope!!!
            And I'm starting to puke if one of those :grouchy will ever be introduced into the HOF
            We may need to see just how many PEDs that both have used. Clemens surely seems guilty of something, but just exactly what, I'm unsure of.

If either get in by >75% vote of the BBWAA, then that ugly blue/grey storm cloud will never be removed from atop their heads, and it certainly wouldn't be a halo either.

Still, those two accused seem to be the present names and faces of this unfortunate Steroids Era, and there have been many who've actually been tested and failed whose names are far less famous. One with 7 MVPs, the other with 7 CYAs. Both with lots to prove in the court of the people.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by cardsfanatic View Post
              Do we honestly need 10 Clemens and 10 Bonds threads? I mean, I know the people engulfed in the steroid drama deserve a place to talk as well... however, how about the rest of us that'd like to actually talk about baseball? Just make a "STEROIDS" board and get it over with. It's ridiculous the same five people start a new steroid thread every 10 minutes... enough is enough.

That wouldn't be fair to the members that like their name on the front page of CE. They would actually have to read though a thread seeing where to put their reply that they use for a thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
                That wouldn't be fair to the members that like their name on the front page of CE. They would actually have to read though a thread seeing where to put their reply that they use for a thread title.
                We live in a celebrity driven age. They're victims of the times. We shouldn't accuse them of not reading the threads, besides, many of them do read the threads and it's unfair to slander them all. The posters are all worth following, and now we're supposed to disregard them because someone like cardsfanatic is bashing them ? How do we even know when they stopped reading through them ? Besides, they used to read through them before they stopped reading through them. It is terrible to further heap injustice upon these poor victims without proof.

Comment

Is there any evidence they knowingly failed to read the thread?

--J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                    We live in a celebrity driven age. They're victims of the times. We shouldn't accuse them of not reading the threads, besides, many of them do read the threads and it's unfair to slander them all. The posters are all worth following, and now we're supposed to disregard them because someone like cardsfanatic is bashing them ? How do we even know when they stopped reading through them ? Besides, they used to read through them before they stopped reading through them. It is terrible to further heap injustice upon these poor victims without proof.
                    Whoa, whoa, homeslice. I'm not bashing anyone and you can check the condescending tone at the door with the "someone like" line. You can dislike my opinions or you can love them. The fact does remain that actual baseball threads get constantly buried by steroid threads. Seriously, in the last five pages 70% of the threads are steroid related and most have 20 posts or less... why in the hell can those not be ONE thread? Do we really need a "Clemens congressional hearing thread discussion" followed by a thousand threads like "OHHHHHHH, MCNAMEE HAS EVIDENCE!" "OHHHHHHH< CLEMENS IS A LIAR!" -- why in the blue hell can those threads not be put in the congressional hearing thread, hmmm?

I'm not saying people cannot discuss steroids and I don't even have the power to stop what is going on. I'm just posing a general question to any moderators that read this kind of junk. I'd kinda like to discuss the upcoming baseball season but we're pretty short on baseball topics, it seems. As soon as one springs up it's piled on by ridiculous topics like this that could fit into any one of the thousand Bonds threads.
                    Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
                    In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Addition: One of my favorite posts recently illustrated my point and I'd love to find it and link it. Had me busting at the sides. A guy started a topic about baseball and one of the guys who is all enthralled by the steroid saga asked him "what is the point in this thread?" to which the poster replied with his entire post copied and pasted and at the end "so, he's a steroid user!" or something along those lines. Classic stuff. It's so true it's funny and sad at the same time -- to be a relevant topic in this board lately it must have steroids somewhere in the body of the message.
                      In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

cardsfanatic -

sent you a pm to clear up the missunderstanding !

By the way - what is a homeslice ?

Comment

Alien: Why do you devote so much literature to a simple biological function?

Kirk: We enjoy it.

It is the subject right now. On other fora devoted to say, politics, religion, or celebrity skin diseases, a "big topic" will explode and generate topics devoted to individual issues. Bonds having a positive test is a different element from whether or not Clemems committed perjury, et cetera.

Over time, the focus will change. Give it a month, this will die down, Spring Training will be in full gear with Opening Day around the corner . . . so the board will be filled with topics concerning what Bonds wore in the Federal Courthouse. . . .

:cap:

--J.D.

Comment

cardsfanatic - the quoted post is in reverence to this post by old sweater on a different thread.

Thread; Clemens asked to testify to Congress/ Upcoming Hearing
                            Post ; # 162

so don't have a cow

your friend -whoisonit -aka homeslice

Comment

sandlot: A single positive test would normally require a second test to rule out the possibility of a false positive, no?

true, sandlot.
                              but if a second positive test result does exist somewhere out there, the feds do not have possession of it.
                              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

cardsfanatic -

sent you a pm to clear up the missunderstanding !

By the way - what is a homeslice ?
                                All good. A homeslice is a term from the 1980's, it's urban slang. It can be replaced with "buddy", "home boy" or a slew of other words. In the context I was using it in, however, I was admittedly being a smart ass.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X