The NL-AL talent gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NL-AL talent gap

As any baseball fan knows, the AL has been far better than the NL the past few years. But a few big name players - Johan Santana and Dan Haren, for example - have moved to the NL from the AL. How much has the gap been bridged? And why is it so prevalent?
    --------------------
    http://benchcoach.com/
    --------------------
    http://www.offinlefffield.com/
    Sportswriter Mark Leff blabs about baseball

I guess it's for the same reason that the Western Conferences are so much better than the Eastern Conferences in the NBA and NHL and the AFC is generally better than the NFC: these things just happen. It goes in cycles.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

and don't forget miguel tequada

Comment

It's cyclical. NL used to be the toughest league years ago. NL has a lot more young talent, IMO.
        "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Wow, I made a post in this thread last night that was deleted. I didn't go and use unmitigated gall, again, did I?

Anyway, I said that the gap can basically be attributed to the Yankees in my opinion. I have no statistical research of findings to support that. However, the Yankees when they began spending forced other teams to keep pace and a lot of the AL teams have began spending to win. The NL doesn't really have a team like that pushing the pace. What's the incentive to spend a ton of money in the NL when you can carry a 60-70 million dollar payroll and still be on a fairly level playing gield and have a great chance at winning a division. In the AL, that doesn't cut it. And stars go where the money is at.
          Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
          In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X