Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrigley Field might be renamed...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3266721

The chief executive officer of the Tribune Company said Wednesday he won't hesitate to sell the naming rights to Wrigley Field -- even if baseball purists don't like the idea.

During an interview on CNBC, Sam Zell said despite Wrigley Field being known worldwide, he didn't get a discount because he wasn't going to use the naming rights that the field represents.

Zell said he plans to sell the Cubs and Wrigley separately and in his own time frame. He also disclosed that Major League Baseball has approved "four or six" potential ownership groups and that any one of them would be fine.
    *PUKE*
    sigpic

How about...

...get ready for it...

SECOND CITI FIELD!!!!!

Well, Chicago is the "second city..."

X

Comment

It is obvious that the guy needs a straight jacket.

When someone is saying this, it is clear that he doesn't care about the sport or it's history.:grouchy

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post

When someone is saying this, it is clear that he doesn't care about the sport or it's history.:grouchy
        and doesnt really understand business all that well. you would think a billionaire would. but apparently not. is the money made in the sale going to offset the negative publicity that would come from it?

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post

I agree$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

I'd name it "Double Haley's Comet Field"

as The Comet has passed the Earth twice since the Cubs last won the World Series.
            "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

It will be one of the biggest screw-ups and flops in sports history if Wrigley Field is renamed. Mark my words. No sense of loyalty these days when corporate sponsors and big shot owners always want to have it their way. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea needs to get out alot more often.

My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Originally posted by Knick9 View Post
                It will be one of the biggest screw-ups and flops in sports history if Wrigley Field is renamed. Mark my words. No sense of loyalty these days when corporate sponsors and big shot owners always want to have it their way. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea needs to get out alot more often.

Yeah, right on. Maybe they should name the stadium after a wealthy gum manufacturing family instead.
                "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                  Yeah, right on. Maybe they should name the stadium after a wealthy gum manufacturing family instead.
                  Maybe they should rename y'alls stadium since it seems to be having a subliminal effect on the employees of your organization.
                  sigpic

Comment

"Welcome to the friendly confines of Alltel Wireless Field."

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                      I was just about to say, isn't it already corporately named?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard View Post
                        at least it was named wrigley field in part because the team and stadium was bought by mr. wrigley. not quite the same as just selling the name to the highest bidder.

Comment

Whether or not it was originally named after a corporation is irrelevant to the discussion because the point isn't so much that they are wanting to corporately rename it, it's the fact that they are wanting to rename it PERIOD.
                          sigpic

Comment

Call me an anti-traditionalist, but I don't see how Wrigley Field at Under Armour Place is that much worse than just plain Wrigley Field.

And it's not like it was originally Wrigley Field.

Comment

Call me an anti-traditionalist, but I don't see how Wrigley Field at Under Armour Place is that much worse than just plain Wrigley Field.

And it's not like it was originally Wrigley Field.
                              The Beatles weren't originally known as "the Beatles" either.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X