No announcement yet.

Wrigley Field might be renamed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about Sears Field? I really like that. NOT!

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard View Post
      Call me an anti-traditionalist, but I don't see how Wrigley Field at Under Armour Place is that much worse than just plain Wrigley Field.

And it's not like it was originally Wrigley Field.
      you're an antitraditionalist.

Weegham Park was the name of it when it first started true. But Wrigley was THE OWNER OF THE TEAM WHEN IT WAS RENAMED AS SUCH. theres a world of difference between one and what Zell the idiot will call it.

Besides, what is he going to do? change the outside sign? The one that is landmarked? You think the city or the neighborhood would sign off on that? Doubtful.

Comment

Originally posted by OleMissCub View Post
        Maybe they should rename y'alls stadium since it seems to be having a subliminal effect on the employees of your organization.

Busch Stadium and alcohol related incidents....Ouch...!

Would be nice to see a corporation buy the naming rights and just keep it Wrigley Field as a goodwill gesture but it probably won't happen.

Comment

Call me an anti-traditionalist, but I don't see how Wrigley Field at Under Armour Place is that much worse than just plain Wrigley Field.

I will gladly call you an anti-traditionalist.

"Welcome to the friendly confines of Nextel Stadium" just isn't what I'm looking for. Period. Sorry, I can't get used to it, and I never will. It's an abomination. People have gotten so used to this process that it is getting absolutely sickening. There's nothing about a place that makes it more valuable if you call it by a corporate sponsor name. Will people even bother to buy the product of that sponsor? No, alot of them won't.

So much for originality of giving a ballpark a respectable name. In return for selling the rights to the name of the field, you give up the right to give it a proper name. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Owners don't care what it's called, as long as it gives them more money, they're fine with it. Don't you just love these owners being so hypocritical?

And don't you just love how people just run with it and move on like it's no big deal at all?
          My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

The original name was North Side Ball Park (1914); Weeghman Park (1914-15); Whales Park (1915). The stadium was built for the Chicago Federals, the Federal League team. Then the team was remamed the Whales.

The Federal League folded after only two years, so Weeghman, leading a ten man syndicate which included chewing gum magnate Willam Wrigley, Jr., purchased the Cubs of the National League. The team was moved from West Side Grounds to what was then known as Weeghman Park. When the league folded, Weegham purchased the Cubs, and changed the stadium name to Cubs’ Park (1916-26). In 1918, Wrigley took over Weeghman's share of the team and by 1919 had bought out the shares of the other members of the syndicate. The name of the stadium was changed to Cubs Park in time for opening day, 1920. It was renamed Wrigley Field in his honor in 1926.

I saw my first game at Wrigley in 1936, the season before the bleachers and ivy were added.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Hack_Miller View Post
              Would be nice to see a corporation buy the naming rights and just keep it Wrigley Field as a goodwill gesture but it probably won't happen.
              I agree. They would be hailed as saviors, and would generate much more goodwill publicly than changing the name.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post

I saw my first game at Wrigley in 1936, the season before the bleachers and ivy were added.

Bob
                Wow! That is so cool! When were you last at Wrigley? Maybe you should come on up this way and take in a game this year. It's always a good year to go to Wrigley, but hopefully this year is a REALLY good year...
                "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
                sigpic

Comment

The original name was North Side Ball Park (1914); Weeghman Park (1914-15); Whales Park (1915). The stadium was built for the Chicago Federals, the Federal League team. Then the team was remamed the Whales.

The Federal League folded after only two years, so Weeghman, leading a ten man syndicate which included chewing gum magnate Willam Wrigley, Jr., purchased the Cubs of the National League. The team was moved from West Side Grounds to what was then known as Weeghman Park. When the league folded, Weegham purchased the Cubs, and changed the stadium name to Cubs’ Park (1916-26). In 1918, Wrigley took over Weeghman's share of the team and by 1919 had bought out the shares of the other members of the syndicate. The name of the stadium was changed to Cubs Park in time for opening day, 1920. It was renamed Wrigley Field in his honor in 1926.

Bob
                  Bob!

You rock! :bowdown: Can you share some good memoeries from the 1930s? The '36 Cubs were the defending National League champs right? I hope I will be enjoying baseball at 75 in 2043!
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Bob
                    HOLY COW!

sigpic

Comment

I've heard they're changing the uniforms also:

Don't these corporate sponsors donate something like $20m/yr to offset costs? This could also be a sign that not only is tradition going by the wayside, but that teams, even one as historic as the Cubs, may not be making as much money as expected.

Should we just pass the coffee cup and donate some $ to the North Siders.

Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I wonder how much people's reaction would change if he was planning to rename Wrigley, but without any corporate involvement?

For me, the issue is that it's being renamed, not that a corporation is involved (although some corporation names don't work as well as others - Safeco Field is better than Minute Maid Park, IMO). And while it's disappointing that Wrigley might be renamed, it's not the end of the world to me. If Wrigley had become run down, and they decided to build a new stadium, it would quite possibly had a different name.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
                          I wonder how much people's reaction would change if he was planning to rename Wrigley, but without any corporate involvement?

For me, the issue is that it's being renamed, not that a corporation is involved (although some corporation names don't work as well as others - Safeco Field is better than Minute Maid Park, IMO). And while it's disappointing that Wrigley might be renamed, it's not the end of the world to me. If Wrigley had become run down, and they decided to build a new stadium, it would quite possibly had a different name.
                          The 2009 version of Yankee Stadium, which I'll call "Yankee Stadium III" will be called ... (drumroll, please) ... Yankee Stadium.

Certain things should never be renamed. It's bad enough they're going to tear down Ruth's House after having gutted it before, but now they're also going to relocate it. Enough about the Yanks.

If they want a non-corporate name, either name it after a person, call it Cubs Stadium or something. Shea was named after William A. Shea, who'd led some committee to find a new NL team after the Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants went some 2,900 miles west. Couldn't a similar person be found for the Cubs?

If the tennis US Open can be played in Arthur Ashe Stadium (formerly Louis Armstrong Stadium), which is across the street from Shea in Flushing, Queens, then I say that a Harry Caray Stadium wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Just think, they can have "Coke Bottle Eyeglasses Night" once a month and it would be a wild sellout of fun, hot dogs, pretzels, soda and baseball!
                          Last edited by Mattingly; 02-28-2008, 01:34 AM.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Yeah, baseball's hurting for money these days. It's all about money.
                            One day we'll see the players wearing ads for their favorite products because they too are starving.

At one time I knew the name of every team's ballpark. Now I'd be lucky to name one third of them.

Comment

Samuel "Sam" Zell (born September 1941) is a U.S.-born billionaire and real estate entrepreneur.

That should explain a lot right there. Many but not all baseball turn more traditionalists as they get older. This guy is 67 and more of a business man then a fan and traditionalist.

Comment

Don't have to

Originally posted by nl1899fan View Post
                                Yeah, baseball's hurting for money these days. It's all about money.
                                One day we'll see the players wearing ads for their favorite products because they too are starving.

At one time I knew the name of every team's ballpark. Now I'd be lucky to name one third of them.
                                You can still call it Wrigley Field. There's no rule that says you have to call it "Whatever Corporate Name Field." Giants fans don't call their ballpark AT&T Park either, as far as I know. I heard that they call it "Mays Field" for Willie Mays.

This also brings up something I haven't seen lately. I'm going to propose something to all MLB fans. For those of you whose ballparks are named after corporate sponsors, why don't you have a get-together with other fans and discuss what proper name your ballpark should be given? So, once a proper name has been chosen, you could from then on call the ballpark by that name. :atthepc
                                Last edited by Knick9; 02-28-2008, 09:07 AM.
                                My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X