X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluezebra
    replied
    Originally posted by Sweet Lou View Post
    Well, if that all changes, get up here and we'll go together, my treat, although I can't guarantee very good seats, but hey, what a great time that would be.
    -Eric
    With today's prices, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford two tickets. ALL seats are GOOD at Wrigley Field.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Sweet Lou
    replied
    Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
    I'd love to take in a game at Wrigley again, but my health and financial status negates that. I'll just keep watching on TV.

Bob
    Well, if that all changes, get up here and we'll go together, my treat, although I can't guarantee very good seats, but hey, what a great time that would be.
    -Eric

Leave a comment:

• bluezebra
    replied
    Originally posted by Sweet Lou View Post
    Wow! That is so cool! When were you last at Wrigley? Maybe you should come on up this way and take in a game this year. It's always a good year to go to Wrigley, but hopefully this year is a REALLY good year...
    I last saw a game at Wrigley in the late 60s, when I flew back to Chicago for a cousin's wedding. I knew the Assistant Sports Editor of (I believe the name was) The Chicago Daily News. He set up tickets for my Dad and me. He also was going to get World Series tickets for my Dad and me in 1969, but you know what happened then.

I was born a Cubs fan. My Dad tried out for the team in 1915, at the old West Side Ballpark. He took me to a game in 1936, to see Dizzy Dean pitch for the St. Louis Cardinals. Unfortunately, I was only four, and can't remember the game.

I used to sit in the bleachers, even when I got in on a pass, and could sit in the box seats. I'd love to take in a game at Wrigley again, but my health and financial status negates that. I'll just keep watching on TV.

Bob
    Last edited by bluezebra; 02-29-2008, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Erik Bedard
    replied
    To say that the name of the stadium is so important that it should never be changed is, in my opinion, the most shallow form of traditionalism out there. Now, the ballpark being torn down I can understand. The team's name being changed I can understand. The team's uniforms, even, I can understand. But the name of the stadium is entirely superfluous.

Leave a comment:

• brewcrew82
    replied
    Originally posted by fartingbob View Post
    Its just a name. saying changing it would be the worst decision in baseball history is a bit OTT. Sure its been wrigleys for a very long time, but when i support a team in any sport, i support THE TEAM, not the stadium, or name of the stadium.
    I agree with you 100%. We as baseball fans seem so focused on traditiona and so quick to point to the most minute details and claim it ruins the enjoyment of the game.
    To me, the name of the stadium means nothing. What really matters is what happens inside of it. I could understand the hostility if the teams had corporate names like they do in Japan, but for a stadium name?

Leave a comment:

• PJ-34
    replied
    what the hell is happening to Baseball? the world is coming to an end I know that now. New Yankees Stadium, advertisments at Wrigley and now the name might be changed? damn, all that's left now is for the Sox to get a new stadium then baseball is done.

Leave a comment:

• bob
    replied
    Its just a name. saying changing it would be the worst decision in baseball history is a bit OTT. Sure its been wrigleys for a very long time, but when i support a team in any sport, i support THE TEAM, not the stadium, or name of the stadium.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad Chadford View Post
    And now please rise and join Steve Jobs co-founder, Chairman and CEO of Apple Inc, for the 7th inning stretch and the singing of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" - brought to you by Home Depot:

"OK Castrol GTX Stadium - are you ready?
    1, 2, 3...

Take me out to the ball game (MLB games sponsored by Snickers),
    Take me out with the crowd.
    Buy me some Planters Peanuts and Frito Lays Cracker Jacks,
    I don't care if I never get back,
    Lets root, root, root for the Cubbies (Chicago Cubs brought to you by Nintendo),
    If they don't win it's a shame.
    For it's one, two, three strikes (Strikes brought to you by Ford - for each strike of the game Ford will donate $100 to Boy Scouts of America), you're out (Outs brought to you by Anheuser Busch),
    At the old ball game (MLB games sponsered by Snickers)."
    Very imaginative post! However, I'll hang 'em up as a baseball fan if that ever happens.

Let the countless decals be kept with Richard Petty #43 and his old NASCAR crew.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Originally posted by nl1899fan View Post
    Nowadays some people probably think an orange juice company founded the Astros if they go by their stadium's name (it's still called Minute Maid Park, right?)
    At the rate things are going, future generations might have it the other way around: being accustomed to corporately named stadia, they'll wonder what kind of a business "Shea" was...

Leave a comment:

• NJMetfan4life
    replied
    Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Yeah, right on. Maybe they should name the stadium after a wealthy gum manufacturing family instead.
    Stride Stadium!!!! The name will last six hours, as long as the gum.(It really does keep its flavor that long)

Leave a comment:

• rockin500
    replied
    Originally posted by nl1899fan View Post
    Considering all of the new stadiums have been built with a lot of tax money maybe they should all be called Taxpayer Field in (name the city). This would solve the naming problem

I think it's pretty crazy to rename the old parks. What was wrong with the White Sox playing in a park named after their founder? It made sense. Nowadays some people probably think an orange juice company founded the Astros if they go by their stadium's name (it's still called Minute Maid Park, right?)
    i thought it should remain comiskey park. and i still generally call it as such.

Leave a comment:

• nl1899fan
    replied
    Considering all of the new stadiums have been built with a lot of tax money maybe they should all be called Taxpayer Field in (name the city). This would solve the naming problem

I think it's pretty crazy to rename the old parks. What was wrong with the White Sox playing in a park named after their founder? It made sense. Nowadays some people probably think an orange juice company founded the Astros if they go by their stadium's name (it's still called Minute Maid Park, right?)

Leave a comment:

• Knick9
    replied
    Wrigley Field is already corporately named.... if they want to change it, go ahead. What's the problem?

What's the problem? Are you kidding me? Did you know that the ballpark was named after the one and only William Wrigley, and not after the Wrigley Gum company? People only assume that the ballpark is named after the Gum company, but that isn't true.

Oh, and do you have to be 80 years old to be considered a traditionalist? I don't think such a rule exists, Stan. Being a traditionalist is having a simple and certain point of view, and personal preferences.

So throw mumerous decades of tradition out the window for more money. That's just brilliant. I bet renaming Fenway, Dodger and Angel Stadium would go over real well, won't it? Sam Zell is trailor park trash for trying this. He is almost like Art Modell, except the only thing Sam wouldn't do would be to move the Cubs. I think I heard a cha-ching just now...

Leave a comment:

• OleMissCub
    replied
    Wrigley Field is already corporately named.... if they want to change it, go ahead. What's the problem?

Spoken like a true fan of a team that has had nothing but unexceptional parks in the last 60 years.

Leave a comment:

• rockin500
    replied
    it was named for the OWNER of the team when it was named such. i guess that thought just slipped your mind?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X