Wrigley Field might be renamed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knick9 View Post
    You can still call it Wrigley Field. There's no rule that says you have to call it "Whatever Corporate Name Field." Giants fans don't call their ballpark AT&T Park either, as far as I know. I heard that they call it "Mays Field" for Willie Mays.

This also brings up something I haven't seen lately. I'm going to propose something to all MLB fans. For those of you whose ballparks are named after corporate sponsors, why don't you have a get-together with other fans and discuss what proper name your ballpark should be given? So, once a proper name has been chosen, you could from then on call the ballpark by that name. :atthepc
    Some Giant fans refer to it as May Field but it is just a petition in the making.

Sept 5th 2007

Maysfield Website Seeks Steward!
    So here's the deal regarding the Mays Field website.

We set it up a couple of years ago as part of our quixotic effort to spread the Mays Field meme. The idea was always one part consciousness raising, one part goofing around and one part, who knows, getting someone in power somewhere to see how much BETTER it would be to name the park after a human.

The Mays Field campaign has gotten a fair amount of press and circulated a pretty popular petition and I'm always surprised how people I encounter sometimes up and say, "Mays Field" as if it's the natural name of park. At the same time, no one's really had the time to actively push this along and the offical name is still what it is.

Comment

And now please rise and join Steve Jobs co-founder, Chairman and CEO of Apple Inc, for the 7th inning stretch and the singing of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" - brought to you by Home Depot:

"OK Castrol GTX Stadium - are you ready?
      1, 2, 3...

Take me out to the ball game (MLB games sponsored by Snickers),
      Take me out with the crowd.
      Buy me some Planters Peanuts and Frito Lays Cracker Jacks,
      I don't care if I never get back,
      Lets root, root, root for the Cubbies (Chicago Cubs brought to you by Nintendo),
      If they don't win it's a shame.
      For it's one, two, three strikes (Strikes brought to you by Ford - for each strike of the game Ford will donate $100 to Boy Scouts of America), you're out (Outs brought to you by Anheuser Busch),
      At the old ball game (MLB games sponsered by Snickers)."
      Last edited by Brad Chadford; 02-28-2008, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Chadford View Post
        And now please rise and join Steve Jobs co-founder, Chairman and CEO of Apple Inc, for the 7th inning stretch and the singing of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" - brought to you by Home Depot:

1, 2, 3...

Lets root, root, root for the Cubbies (Chicago Cubs brought to you by Nintendo),
        For it's one, two, three strikes (Strikes brought to you by Ford - for each strike of the game Ford will donate $100 to Boy Scouts of America), you're out (Outs brought to you by Anheuser Busch),
        I will throw up if that ever happens... :disbelief:
        My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

The financial structure of baseball has changed dramitically... you can either get on the bus or be left at the station. Your choice.

There are no more "traditionalists" among us... at least not very many (;ess than 5% of the people on here, imo). If you were not alive when baseball had just a NL and an AL without divisions, no DH, or day World Series Games, then you look pretty foolish claiming "tradition" should keep any stadium naming rights off the books, imo.

Wrigley Field is already corporately named.... if they want to change it, go ahead. What's the problem?
          "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
            The financial structure of baseball has changed dramitically... you can either get on the bus or be left at the station. Your choice.

There are no more "traditionalists" among us... at least not very many (;ess than 5% of the people on here, imo). If you were not alive when baseball had just a NL and an AL without divisions, no DH, or day World Series Games, then you look pretty foolish claiming "tradition" should keep any stadium naming rights off the books, imo.

Wrigley Field is already corporately named.... if they want to change it, go ahead. What's the problem?

That's not true here in Denver, they done a poll of the fans on which name they wanted for the new football stadium and the clear winner by the fans polled was "Mile High" we still wound up with "Invesco Field at Mile High." If only 5% of fans weren't traditionalist's we would have wound up with "Invesco Field."

Many more fans of baseball remain traditionalists then 5% for sure. If it was just 5% not so many posters would be complaining in this thread. You also don't have to be old to be a traditionalist, you can be a traditionalist of your time or your personal preferences. There is no cast in stone standard set for a traditionalist. Tradition changes with the time.

Comment

Not necessarily. You don't have to be a traditionalist to think that Invesco sounds dumb...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

it was named for the OWNER of the team when it was named such. i guess that thought just slipped your mind?

Comment

Spoken like a true fan of a team that has had nothing but unexceptional parks in the last 60 years.
                  sigpic

Comment

What's the problem? Are you kidding me? Did you know that the ballpark was named after the one and only William Wrigley, and not after the Wrigley Gum company? People only assume that the ballpark is named after the Gum company, but that isn't true.

Oh, and do you have to be 80 years old to be considered a traditionalist? I don't think such a rule exists, Stan. Being a traditionalist is having a simple and certain point of view, and personal preferences.

So throw mumerous decades of tradition out the window for more money. That's just brilliant. I bet renaming Fenway, Dodger and Angel Stadium would go over real well, won't it? Sam Zell is trailor park trash for trying this. He is almost like Art Modell, except the only thing Sam wouldn't do would be to move the Cubs. I think I heard a cha-ching just now...
                    My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Considering all of the new stadiums have been built with a lot of tax money maybe they should all be called Taxpayer Field in (name the city). This would solve the naming problem

I think it's pretty crazy to rename the old parks. What was wrong with the White Sox playing in a park named after their founder? It made sense. Nowadays some people probably think an orange juice company founded the Astros if they go by their stadium's name (it's still called Minute Maid Park, right?)

Comment

Originally posted by nl1899fan View Post
                        Considering all of the new stadiums have been built with a lot of tax money maybe they should all be called Taxpayer Field in (name the city). This would solve the naming problem

I think it's pretty crazy to rename the old parks. What was wrong with the White Sox playing in a park named after their founder? It made sense. Nowadays some people probably think an orange juice company founded the Astros if they go by their stadium's name (it's still called Minute Maid Park, right?)
                        i thought it should remain comiskey park. and i still generally call it as such.

Comment

Yeah, right on. Maybe they should name the stadium after a wealthy gum manufacturing family instead.
                          Stride Stadium!!!! The name will last six hours, as long as the gum.(It really does keep its flavor that long)

Comment

Originally posted by nl1899fan View Post
                            Nowadays some people probably think an orange juice company founded the Astros if they go by their stadium's name (it's still called Minute Maid Park, right?)
                            At the rate things are going, future generations might have it the other way around: being accustomed to corporately named stadia, they'll wonder what kind of a business "Shea" was...
                            X

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Chadford View Post

1, 2, 3...

Very imaginative post! However, I'll hang 'em up as a baseball fan if that ever happens.

Let the countless decals be kept with Richard Petty #43 and his old NASCAR crew.

Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Its just a name. saying changing it would be the worst decision in baseball history is a bit OTT. Sure its been wrigleys for a very long time, but when i support a team in any sport, i support THE TEAM, not the stadium, or name of the stadium.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X