No announcement yet.

Wrigley Field might be renamed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what the hell is happening to Baseball? the world is coming to an end I know that now. New Yankees Stadium, advertisments at Wrigley and now the name might be changed? damn, all that's left now is for the Sox to get a new stadium then baseball is done.

Comment

Originally posted by fartingbob View Post
      Its just a name. saying changing it would be the worst decision in baseball history is a bit OTT. Sure its been wrigleys for a very long time, but when i support a team in any sport, i support THE TEAM, not the stadium, or name of the stadium.
      I agree with you 100%. We as baseball fans seem so focused on traditiona and so quick to point to the most minute details and claim it ruins the enjoyment of the game.
      To me, the name of the stadium means nothing. What really matters is what happens inside of it. I could understand the hostility if the teams had corporate names like they do in Japan, but for a stadium name?
      RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

To say that the name of the stadium is so important that it should never be changed is, in my opinion, the most shallow form of traditionalism out there. Now, the ballpark being torn down I can understand. The team's name being changed I can understand. The team's uniforms, even, I can understand. But the name of the stadium is entirely superfluous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Lou View Post
          Wow! That is so cool! When were you last at Wrigley? Maybe you should come on up this way and take in a game this year. It's always a good year to go to Wrigley, but hopefully this year is a REALLY good year...
          I last saw a game at Wrigley in the late 60s, when I flew back to Chicago for a cousin's wedding. I knew the Assistant Sports Editor of (I believe the name was) The Chicago Daily News. He set up tickets for my Dad and me. He also was going to get World Series tickets for my Dad and me in 1969, but you know what happened then.

I was born a Cubs fan. My Dad tried out for the team in 1915, at the old West Side Ballpark. He took me to a game in 1936, to see Dizzy Dean pitch for the St. Louis Cardinals. Unfortunately, I was only four, and can't remember the game.

I used to sit in the bleachers, even when I got in on a pass, and could sit in the box seats. I'd love to take in a game at Wrigley again, but my health and financial status negates that. I'll just keep watching on TV.

Bob
          Last edited by bluezebra; 02-29-2008, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
            I'd love to take in a game at Wrigley again, but my health and financial status negates that. I'll just keep watching on TV.

Bob
            Well, if that all changes, get up here and we'll go together, my treat, although I can't guarantee very good seats, but hey, what a great time that would be.
            -Eric
            "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Lou View Post
              Well, if that all changes, get up here and we'll go together, my treat, although I can't guarantee very good seats, but hey, what a great time that would be.
              -Eric
              With today's prices, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford two tickets. ALL seats are GOOD at Wrigley Field.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                it was named for the OWNER of the team when it was named such. i guess that thought just slipped your mind?
                I doubt it was renamed just to honor him, I am a firm believer that it was also a quick and cheap way of advertising his company more.
                Last edited by efin98; 03-03-2008, 01:25 AM.
                Best posts ever:
                Originally posted by nymdan
                Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Even if the name of the stadium is changed, the famous Wrigley Field Marquee will have to stay the same.[3] The marquee is protected by the Chicago city council, and declared a local landmark

Good ol'City Council!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
                    Good ol'City Council!!!
                    There are ways around that
                    Best posts ever:
                    Originally posted by nymdan
                    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                      There are ways around that

Not a easy one when it comes to historic landmarks.

If Sam Zell Is So Rich, How Come He's Not Smart?

Email this Story

Mar 3, 3:56 AM (ET)

By JIM LITKE
                      Vida Blue was ahead of his time, or else hopelessly behind, depending on your view of the naming-rights debate currently swirling around Wrigley Field.

The promising young left-hander was just starting to make his mark in Oakland in 1971 when then-A's owner Charlie O. Finley called Blue into his office and offered him $2,000 to change his first name to "True."

Blue, who was making all of $13,000 at the time, considered it for a moment. Vida, which means to "life" in Spanish, was his father's name and the son felt he was honoring the old man every time it turned up in a newspaper. You can't buy that kind of integrity.

"If you like the name so much," Blue said finally, "why don't you call yourself True O. Finley?"

It marked perhaps the first, and certainly one of the few times since, that someone in sports turned down cold cash rather than change a name. Chicago mayor Richard Daley declared in December 2001 - just months after the tragic events of Sept. 11 - that a renovated Soldier Field would never be called anything else. Just last week, Yankees president Randy Levine vowed the same.

http://sports.myway.com/news/03032008/v4733.html

Comment

This is disgusting and disgraceful. This makes my blood boil. I know it was named after a corperation, but this is terrible. Could you imagine the Cubs playing at the Coca Cola Field, or Pepsi Field? Or even worse........Wong Lop Kong field!
                        MySpace Codes

Comment

It won't be renamed like that. It'll probably be something like "Wrigley Field at Under Armour Stadium".

Comment

I hate the Cubs, for no good reason, but I am really against the renaming of Wrigley Field. You'd think that crappy gum company could come up with 40 million to keep the name. Might as well tear it down, put up low income housing and build a dome 50 miles out of the city and name it Schaumburg field.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                              I hate the Cubs, for no good reason, but I am really against the renaming of Wrigley Field. You'd think that crappy gum company could come up with 40 million to keep the name. Might as well tear it down, put up low income housing and build a dome 50 miles out of the city and name it Schaumburg field.
                              Um... no.
                              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
                                With today's prices, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford two tickets.
                                I actually got 2 tickets for a Mets game in April that is 4th row directly behind home plate for 70$ a piece....but I got those from the actual Cubs ticket office. Lord knows how much scalpers would want for those seats.

ALL seats are GOOD at Wrigley Field.

Bob
                                Agree with the sentiment but disagree in fact. There's a ton of obstructed view seats there.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X