X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrigley: No Decision Made on Whether to Bid for Wrigley Field Naming Rights

Email this Story

Mar 12, 12:39 PM (ET)

CHICAGO (AP) - The chairman of Chicago-based Wrigley says the gum maker hasn't decided whether to make a bid for the naming rights of Wrigley Field if they become available.
    The historic ballpark got its name while owned by the Wrigley family, which sold the Cubs decades ago.

Bill Wrigley Junior is chairman of the confectioner. During a morning shareholder meeting, he said his family has "great passion" for the Cubs and baseball.

But Wrigley says the company promotes its individual brands, not the Wrigley name. And he says Wrigley would "evaluate it like we would any other opportunity" if naming rights become available.

Tribune Company is selling the team, and chairman Sam Zell says he'd consider selling the stadium's naming rights.

http://sports.myway.com/news/03122008/v5900.html

Hope that the Wrigley Gum company shells out the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
      Hope that the Wrigley Gum company shells out the cash.
      You support corporate naming? Who are you and what have you done with the real Old Sweater? The real Old Sweater would never support corporate naming of a historic ballpark.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I wish I had a couple hundred million dollars; this sounds like a sound investment!
        "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          You support corporate naming? Who are you and what have you done with the real Old Sweater? The real Old Sweater would never support corporate naming of a historic ballpark.
          When it's the same historic name I will. Now if they dicide to name it "Juicy Fruit Field" I'll turn 180 on the matter.

Comment

too bad there is not a rule that it gets named after whomever pays the largest percent of the building of it. Then most stadiums built would be named after cities, and maybe eventually owners would fork over the money to get their names on it.
            "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
              With today's prices, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford two tickets. ALL seats are GOOD at Wrigley Field.

Bob
              i guess I can see this argument for someone who

1) goes to many games since he may live near park or

2) has been paying for games for a long time and by comparison the tickets are crazy expensive

but for me, I have been buying my own tickets to sporting events for about 5 years now and baseball tickets are easily the most affordable.

-Bill James

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X