X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sturg1dj
    replied
    Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
    With today's prices, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford two tickets. ALL seats are GOOD at Wrigley Field.

Bob
    i guess I can see this argument for someone who

1) goes to many games since he may live near park or

2) has been paying for games for a long time and by comparison the tickets are crazy expensive

but for me, I have been buying my own tickets to sporting events for about 5 years now and baseball tickets are easily the most affordable.

Leave a comment:

• sturg1dj
    replied
    too bad there is not a rule that it gets named after whomever pays the largest percent of the building of it. Then most stadiums built would be named after cities, and maybe eventually owners would fork over the money to get their names on it.

Leave a comment:

• Old Sweater
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    You support corporate naming? Who are you and what have you done with the real Old Sweater? The real Old Sweater would never support corporate naming of a historic ballpark.
    When it's the same historic name I will. Now if they dicide to name it "Juicy Fruit Field" I'll turn 180 on the matter.

Leave a comment:

• sturg1dj
    replied
    I wish I had a couple hundred million dollars; this sounds like a sound investment!

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
    Hope that the Wrigley Gum company shells out the cash.
    You support corporate naming? Who are you and what have you done with the real Old Sweater? The real Old Sweater would never support corporate naming of a historic ballpark.

Leave a comment:

• Old Sweater
    replied
    Wrigley: No Decision Made on Whether to Bid for Wrigley Field Naming Rights

Email this Story

Mar 12, 12:39 PM (ET)

CHICAGO (AP) - The chairman of Chicago-based Wrigley says the gum maker hasn't decided whether to make a bid for the naming rights of Wrigley Field if they become available.
    The historic ballpark got its name while owned by the Wrigley family, which sold the Cubs decades ago.

Bill Wrigley Junior is chairman of the confectioner. During a morning shareholder meeting, he said his family has "great passion" for the Cubs and baseball.

But Wrigley says the company promotes its individual brands, not the Wrigley name. And he says Wrigley would "evaluate it like we would any other opportunity" if naming rights become available.

Tribune Company is selling the team, and chairman Sam Zell says he'd consider selling the stadium's naming rights.

http://sports.myway.com/news/03122008/v5900.html

Hope that the Wrigley Gum company shells out the cash.

Leave a comment:

• OleMissCub
    replied
    Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
    With today's prices, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford two tickets.
    I actually got 2 tickets for a Mets game in April that is 4th row directly behind home plate for 70$ a piece....but I got those from the actual Cubs ticket office. Lord knows how much scalpers would want for those seats.

ALL seats are GOOD at Wrigley Field.

Bob
    Agree with the sentiment but disagree in fact. There's a ton of obstructed view seats there.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Anderson View Post
    I hate the Cubs, for no good reason, but I am really against the renaming of Wrigley Field. You'd think that crappy gum company could come up with 40 million to keep the name. Might as well tear it down, put up low income housing and build a dome 50 miles out of the city and name it Schaumburg field.
    Um... no.

Leave a comment:

• Anderson
    replied
    I hate the Cubs, for no good reason, but I am really against the renaming of Wrigley Field. You'd think that crappy gum company could come up with 40 million to keep the name. Might as well tear it down, put up low income housing and build a dome 50 miles out of the city and name it Schaumburg field.

Leave a comment:

• Erik Bedard
    replied
    It won't be renamed like that. It'll probably be something like "Wrigley Field at Under Armour Stadium".

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    This is disgusting and disgraceful. This makes my blood boil. I know it was named after a corperation, but this is terrible. Could you imagine the Cubs playing at the Coca Cola Field, or Pepsi Field? Or even worse........Wong Lop Kong field!

Leave a comment:

• Old Sweater
    replied
    Originally posted by efin98 View Post
    There are ways around that

Not a easy one when it comes to historic landmarks.

If Sam Zell Is So Rich, How Come He's Not Smart?

Email this Story

Mar 3, 3:56 AM (ET)

By JIM LITKE
    Vida Blue was ahead of his time, or else hopelessly behind, depending on your view of the naming-rights debate currently swirling around Wrigley Field.

The promising young left-hander was just starting to make his mark in Oakland in 1971 when then-A's owner Charlie O. Finley called Blue into his office and offered him $2,000 to change his first name to "True."

Blue, who was making all of $13,000 at the time, considered it for a moment. Vida, which means to "life" in Spanish, was his father's name and the son felt he was honoring the old man every time it turned up in a newspaper. You can't buy that kind of integrity.

"If you like the name so much," Blue said finally, "why don't you call yourself True O. Finley?"

It marked perhaps the first, and certainly one of the few times since, that someone in sports turned down cold cash rather than change a name. Chicago mayor Richard Daley declared in December 2001 - just months after the tragic events of Sept. 11 - that a renovated Soldier Field would never be called anything else. Just last week, Yankees president Randy Levine vowed the same.

http://sports.myway.com/news/03032008/v4733.html

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
    Good ol'City Council!!!
    There are ways around that

Leave a comment:

• Old Sweater
    replied
    Even if the name of the stadium is changed, the famous Wrigley Field Marquee will have to stay the same.[3] The marquee is protected by the Chicago city council, and declared a local landmark

Good ol'City Council!!!

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
    it was named for the OWNER of the team when it was named such. i guess that thought just slipped your mind?
    I doubt it was renamed just to honor him, I am a firm believer that it was also a quick and cheap way of advertising his company more.
    Last edited by efin98; 03-03-2008, 01:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X