Baseball is a dying sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball is a dying sport

This thread might create a controversy but it depicts the fact that baseball is on the decline and people refuse to see it. In the pas decade, Major League Baseball can no longer be considered "America's sport". American Football (NFL) has taken over, kids are no longer interested. The common explanation for this is that kids (and most people) find baseball a "boring sport".
    Let's take an example, let's say...1975, Dallas , everybody was into baseball, either rooting for the Houston Astros or the Texas Rangers. On those summer days, kids would go to the baseball field, play until the night came and then go home and watch baseball. In the morning, they would pick up the newspaper their father left lying around and flick to the "SPORTS" section and immediatly seek information about their team, standings, stats, news,etc.

In 2005, the summer, you can go to Texas and see most people wearing a Dallas Cowboys (football, for those who don't know) hat and going nuts in front of their television screen to see their quarterback give the ball away with only seconds to go in the crucial game of the Cowboys season and watch with misery the opposing team score. At the same time, the Houston Astros advanced to the postseason and defeating the Braves with an awesome 17-inning win topped off by Chris Burke's winning homer and Clemens pitching three outstanding innings in relief. But, no, they would rather watch their Cowboys QB fumble the ball than Craig Biggio steal third and score the winning run of any of the Astro's 162 games.

Let me continue, I live in Montreal, I recently had to deal with the loss of the MLB franchise know as the Montreal Expos. To this day, I can remember that last game, when Ryan Church popped up in foul ground to Mike Piazza to end the Expo's 36-year legacy.

I am currently a sound, above-average hitting and fielding third baseman.
    You have no idea how fast ville de Montreal and the citizens of this wonderful country have destroyed baseball. Mayor of the Island of Montreal, Gerald Tremblay and his associates are currently in the midst of destroying baseball. They are going to replace most of the diamonds with soccer fields. You know why BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T CARE, they DON'T CARE.
    Luckily, my baseball diamond will be preserved (because the Quebec Governement makes money off people like me that rent baseball fields during hot summer nights and enjoy ourselves.) the only reason certain fields will NOT BE DESTROYED is because they're making money. There's no more love for Andre Dawson, Tim Raines or Gary Carter up here, now people have love for players you may know (which I also have love for) Alex Kovalev, Saku Koivu and Jose Theodore.

Life can be unnfair, live with it.
    Last edited by wilkerson_rulz-06; 02-28-2006, 08:40 AM.
    Cristobal

Baseball will still be here long after we're dead, Steve.

It will just have a more international flavour.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
      Baseball will still be here long after we're dead, Steve.

It will just have a more international flavour.
      I know, it won't be as popular as the days of Lou Gehrig or Babe Ruth though.
      Cristobal

Comment

Maybe the World Baseball Classic will help spark some interest (though I doubt it) and it HAS been good that some teams besides the Yankees have won the World Series the past few years. (I'm not a Yankees hater, I'm just glad the wealth has been spread around)
        I don't know that baseball is dying, but other sports are getting more exposure and becoming more popular, such as soccer. And I'd say Football has been more popular than baseball for a long long time. We just have to keep doing our part to get people interested, show them the subtle and finer points of the game, and help them pick a team to root for!
        Lou
        "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
          I doubt it ever was.
          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
            How do you measure popularity? I'm not sure how old the other sports are compared to baseball. Where did MLB rank in the 1920s-'30s back then, as opposed to football? I don't think that the NBA was around back then.

With all the TV shows, baseball would actually need to do some serious marketing in order to remain more popular.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

People will lose interest in the NFL when a big scandle exposes the fact that the outcomes of games are more fixed than boxing!

Then they'll all come running back to baseball begging for forgiveness!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Chadford
                People will lose interest in the NFL when a big scandle exposes the fact that the outcomes of games are more fixed than boxing!

Then they'll all come running back to baseball begging for forgiveness!
                Considering how popular pro wrestling (WWE) is, despite the fact that it's "sports entertainment", not a true regulated sport, and that Vince McMahon hires theme writers to decide the outcomes, sometimes I wonder.

The NFL is a true sport that is regulated and has drug testing. Their stars are more outspoken, and instead of curtain calls for home games, they stick their heads into the fan area at the end zone for a nice back-slapping pat-down by the appreciative fans after having scored a touchdown.

Between the glorification of the individual and the way players strut their stuff, baseball can seem like a chess game by comparison.

I guess that since the NBA has so many fast breaks, it'll be very popular. Baseball hasn't changed by tons for a few years I've guessed. It's a great game, but I don't think it's as exciting re the fast pace as some other sports.
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                  I guess that since the NBA has so many fast breaks, it'll be very popular. Baseball hasn't changed by tons for a few years I've guessed. It's a great game, but I don't think it's as exciting re the fast pace as some other sports.
                  Actually, I find watching basketball live on your tv is quite boring. Baseball, at least has some unexpected twists and turns.
                  Hockey is by far the most "exciting" sport because it is so fast.
                  Last edited by wilkerson_rulz-06; 02-28-2006, 08:19 AM.
                  Cristobal

Comment

The simple fact of the matter is baseball has too much high level competition as compared to years past. Back when Gehrig and Ruth were playing, the most popular sports beside it at the professional level were boxing, golf and tennis. The latter two individual sports now have perceptions of being snob sports, only played regularly by the wealthy as equipment and facilities improved through the years. As for boxing, it became way too political, way too under the influence of corruption to maintain anything but a die hard level of fandom. The general public is far more intrigued than interested.
                    Pro football was in its infancy back then, with teams coming and going throughout the twenties (Marion and Portsmouth, Ohio had teams, for crying out loud.) The college game was the showcase for many years. The NBA didn't start until the mid-40's and singular dominance of the Celtics didn't help it any.
                    Baseball has far more endured than any other sport at the pro level. Kids still play it. It's shares the mountain top now, but won't be toppled.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I don't buy it...major league teams have been setting attendance records in recent years, and the minors have seen a major resurgence in attendence as well. Baseball was never really that popular in Montreal, so using that as your point of reference is going to give you jaded results. Here in New England, there are a lot of soccer fields, but a lot of baseball diamonds, too...and all are full of kids on summer weekends.

Sure, soccer and football are popular with kids today, as are all the "X games" type sports...but the fact that baseball now has competition (and people more choices) doesn't mean it's dying. The percentage of baseball fans might be smaller, but the pool is a lot bigger too, both domestically and internationally.

Does baseball need to do more to recruit young people? Absolutely. Does that mean it's dying? I don't think so. Hopefully someone at major league baseball will make the investment in the fans of tomorrow...more "fan fest" type activities (like at the All Star Game) and maybe even *gasp* a few playoff games played early enough for kids to watch. Time will tell, but I believe reports of the sports demise are rather premature.

Plus, football is popular, yes...but they play 16 games, only on weekends, and during the day...so yes, more people watch a football game on TV than do a baseball game...but that again doesn't mean baseball is dying, especially since there's so little overlap between seasons.
                      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                        I don't buy it...major league teams have been setting attendance records in recent years, and the minors have seen a major resurgence in attendence as well. Baseball was never really that popular in Montreal, so using that as your point of reference is going to give you jaded results. Here in New England, there are a lot of soccer fields, but a lot of baseball diamonds, too...and all are full of kids on summer weekends.

Sure, soccer and football are popular with kids today, as are all the "X games" type sports...but the fact that baseball now has competition (and people more choices) doesn't mean it's dying. The percentage of baseball fans might be smaller, but the pool is a lot bigger too, both domestically and internationally.

Does baseball need to do more to recruit young people? Absolutely. Does that mean it's dying? I don't think so. Hopefully someone at major league baseball will make the investment in the fans of tomorrow...more "fan fest" type activities (like at the All Star Game) and maybe even *gasp* a few playoff games played early enough for kids to watch. Time will tell, but I believe reports of the sports demise are rather premature.

Plus, football is popular, yes...but they play 16 games, only on weekends, and during the day...so yes, more people watch a football game on TV than do a baseball game...but that again doesn't mean baseball is dying, especially since there's so little overlap between seasons.
                        I don't think that good attendence correlates to high popularity. I think it shows that right now baseball is seen as a nice family friendly activity. I can't tell you how many games I've attended at Jacobs Field where the park is park is full and yet hardly anyone around me was actually watching the game or seemed to actually know much about baseball. I don't know what attendence figures will look like 10 or 20 years when these kids who look to have little interest in baseball have become adults. Most of my friends have kids and I don't a single one of those kids who cares about baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                          Question to all:

When people say that football is more popular than baseball, do they count individual MLB games against individual NFL games? I don't think that ESPN's Sunday Night games could be as popular as an NFL game on Saturday or Sunday. We all know that the Super Bowl is far more popular than the World Series.

Sometimes I wish they'd just add up the number of TV audience members for each baseball game then compare this to football. Unfortunately, likely won't happen, so those individual baseball games look far less popular than the few football games.

Also, NCAA football is far more popular than NCAA baseball has ever been. Every Saturday when it's being played, college football is a staple.

Comment

Prohibit gambling in sports and we'll see how long football hangs on to this title.
                            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                              Prohibit gambling in sports and we'll see how long football hangs on to this title.
                              Gambling has killed most sports' value.
                              I wish Bush would make it illegal and we would see MLB back at the top.
                              Cristobal

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X