Clemens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clemens

Gammons reported today that the Astros expect Clemens to be back, signing on May 1st and starting June 2nd against the Reds.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Here's the specific article:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/0...s_astros_.html

I think it's too easy to presume, since he's working with the Astros' minor league team, that he'll resign on May 1st. What I'm not sure about is why June 2nd?

This Dec 2005 article, which was linked in the one given earlier in this post, states that after the WBC in March, Rocket will take some time off, as well as promote his son's minor league career and advancement within Houston's farm system.

I still think that if he's coming back, he should do so in May, not June. Perhaps he needs the rest. That's all I can think of now.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
      Here's the specific article:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/0...s_astros_.html

I think it's too easy to presume, since he's working with the Astros' minor league team, that he'll resign on May 1st. What I'm not sure about is why June 2nd?

This Dec 2005 article, which was linked in the one given earlier in this post, states that after the WBC in March, Rocket will take some time off, as well as promote his son's minor league career and advancement within Houston's farm system.

I still think that if he's coming back, he should do so in May, not June. Perhaps he needs the rest. That's all I can think of now.
      if i were the astros, i wouldnt want him to be back until the latter half of may at the earliest. that way he can be strong the entire year. signing him on May 1 (or even a few days after) and give him about 3+ weeks of gearing up to full strength would be the way to go.

the problem hasnt been their pitching the past coupla years. its been their pitiful offense.

Comment

no prob though

why do you people keep talking about the Astros problems. yeah that pityful offense. All you haters have had to eat your words every year. Wake up !!they went to the world series last year, two seasons of progressive postseason performance in a row. they will win the division this year or the wild card period. why wouldnt they.

Comment

Hey chill out, I think Roger Clemens is a big faker . Kind of a drama queen. Every year it's this will he comeback-won't he comeback crap and its pretty sickening
          Born True Blue

Comment

Originally posted by holyroman
            why do you people keep talking about the Astros problems. yeah that pityful offense. All you haters have had to eat your words every year. Wake up !!they went to the world series last year, two seasons of progressive postseason performance in a row. they will win the division this year or the wild card period. why wouldnt they.
            Actually, I have no idea what you're referring to re people hating on the Astros. None of us are responsible for the fact that the Astros kept losing games with scores like 1-0 or 2-0, 2-1 or other crazy numbers when Clemens pitched.

Granted, he only lasted 6+ innings, but he gave them more than enough of a chance to win those games. It's just that in those games, his team didn't score often. Our mentioning of those doesn't make us "haters".

Yes, they did go to the World Series, defeating division rival St Louis in the NLCS, after themselves having gotten the Wild Card. We're all familiar with that, so can you be a little less defensive with us, please?

Thanks.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

i agree his act is tired but i'll take him back but i'm sure he'll be asking for 10 nillion for 2/3rds of a season. im sick of mostly cubs fans on here talking about the Astros have this problem the astros have that problem you know what they have proved they have the mix to get it done what have the cubs done. so everybody ranks the Astros to finish third fourth or fifth in the central on this website.
              I just don't get it, rose colored glasses i guess for all the people behind them.
              keep wishing

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
                if i were the astros, i wouldnt want him to be back until the latter half of may at the earliest. that way he can be strong the entire year. signing him on May 1 (or even a few days after) and give him about 3+ weeks of gearing up to full strength would be the way to go.

the problem hasnt been their pitching the past coupla years. its been their pitiful offense.
                thats what i'm talking about there pitiful offense has done a pretty good job the last couple years winning. but whatever, Mattingly you're right i guess i'm venting from a different thread. The Astros are a team in transition obviously that is why there offense was unreliable. They have tried to adress those issues over the offseason and part of it will be the rookies and young guys should get more comfortable, and hopefully have some confidence off what they did last year.
                i guess this isn't a thread about the astros offenense so i'll get off it. but i didnt bring it up.

Comment

Is 10 nillion more or less than 10 million ? But the bottomline is you cant deny the results, so whether you consider those results good or bad it doesnt matter if people like the team
                  Born True Blue

Comment

Originally posted by holyroman
                    thats what i'm talking about there pitiful offense has done a pretty good job the last couple years winning. but whatever, Mattingly you're right i guess i'm venting from a different thread. The Astros are a team in transition obviously that is why there offense was unreliable. They have tried to adress those issues over the offseason and part of it will be the rookies and young guys should get more comfortable, and hopefully have some confidence off what they did last year.
                    i guess this isn't a thread about the astros offenense so i'll get off it. but i didnt bring it up.
                    You may try using complete sentences and separate paragraphs sometimes for greater understandability. When you wrote "winning. but whatever, Mattingly you're right", I felt that after "whatever", you could've ended that sentence and begun a new paragraph.

As to the Astros, everyone will have varying views. As to yours, just articulate them well and post how you feel about them. All I can ask for is that you stay on topic and that your remarks be both legible and credible.

How's that?

Comment

Put yourself in his cleats

Those are some mighty big game shoes to walk a mile in, and it tempers my feelings about Clemens. I didn't like him when he jumped to the BJays, I really didn't like him when he donned the pinstripes, retired, then unretired, and started playing for the division rival 'Stros, which was kind of the last straw. Yet, it is hard to argue with results, and he has been a big part of his teams' successes over his long and productive career. I wish I had all those WS rings, but then doesn't everyone? Finally, I would really like to see him twirl at least one more good season, even if it starts later for him than sooner, and I especially want to erase the memory of his last post-season start when it looked like his old body had finally blown it's last gasket in the early innings. Whatever he decides to do, I can look forward to telling the next generations that I saw one of the best to ever take the mound.

ps. The reason Houston and their fans get ragged on so much, is the fact that they are easy targets. Plus jealousy, mistrust of anything Texan, dislike for their amusement park home field, the inane killer bee nickname, etc.
                      Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X