Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big_Mac
    replied
    i never have really hated a players, but i lost alot of respect for a-rod last season when he yelled at john mcdonald when mcdonald was underneath a pop-up last year. it wasn't really the play that bothered me, it was the fact that a-rod is a major league player and he did something i remember a kid on my 6-year old baseball team doing when i was a kid.

any major league player, let alone the AL MVP, should not be doing things an immature 6-year old does.

any players who was been proven, 100% or close to it, to have taken steriods i do not respect either. many good, clean baseball players probably did not get a chance in the major leagues because of juiced up hitters and pitchers.

Leave a comment:

• Windy City Fan
    replied
    I don't get the hate for A-Rod. He's a terrific talent and the best shortstop any of us have ever seen. Yeah, he makes a truckload of money, but I say more power to him there. He's occassionally said a few dumb things, but I'd gladly take him on my team. I actually root for A-Rod because of how poorly the crazed Yankee fans have treated him.

Jeter, I can understand the hate a little. He's grossly overrated by the media and by most rabid Yankee fans. I mean he's not even the best the shortstop on his team. Plus being the face of the evil empire, I mean New York Yankees, doesn't help much. Still, I'd love to see Jeter in Cubbie blue. He's a great player no questions asked.

Why the hate on Schilling? I've heard him in interviews only a handful of times, but I never thought he was a jerk or self righteous. I actually thought he was an interesting interviewee.

Clemens and Bonds are natural winners here. They are liars and cheats, but the real problem I think a lot of folks have with them is that they cheated their way into the inner circle of the game's greats and its mucked up the history of the game. At least that's where most of my hate comes from for these two.

Bonds is probably the worst of the two because he's made the comments that have been quoted above disrespecting the legacy of Ruth and tries to play the race card to explain the hate he gets instead of owning up to the fact that he's a liar, a cheat, and pretty unlikeable in general.

Leave a comment:

• rdonahue
    replied
    Jerry Hairston, Sr. and his family. You break up a would-be perfect game of a Tiger (Milt Wilcox, 1983) with 1 out to go I'll hate you forever. I'm just glad I wasn't alive for that.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    ^^
    shorter list for those who did not, than those who did.

Leave a comment:

• dbacksfan95
    replied
    clemens
    he took steroids

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
    so you guys who are bothered by the word hate are bothered because of what it technically means even though its not how its being used in this board? Wow, so really it seems like you are wasting your time lecturing us. Maybe a mod should change the word hate to the word dislike or don't like or not a fan of...but really hate is easier to write.

I think this thread is kind of important because what has been done in this thread is people have said why they don't like certain players and others have come to that player's defense, giving us new perspectives on other players. Yankees fans have been shocked to know that we don't like DiMaggio, there has been an argument on whether what John Rocker did warrants the kind of treatment he receives, and there has been much discussion of Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. All important issues and when done correctly shows a large amount of perspective that you may not get anywhere else.

sure the thread sounds negative...but there has also been a lot of positive that has come from it.
    Maybe unaware of some in particular who don't like Joe, not a problem. Well aware that there are a number who don't like Joe, some even despise him and have on other threads let all know that.

Never a surprise to find out some don't like him. Unfortunately at times his not mr nice guy has been injected into some threads supposedly started to discuss what he did between the foul lines, two differnt worlds, personality and abilty.

Leave a comment:

• digglahhh
    replied
    so you guys who are bothered by the word hate are bothered because of what it technically means even though its not how its being used in this board? Wow, so really it seems like you are wasting your time lecturing us. Maybe a mod should change the word hate to the word dislike or don't like or not a fan of...but really hate is easier to write.

I think this thread is kind of important because what has been done in this thread is people have said why they don't like certain players and others have come to that player's defense, giving us new perspectives on other players. Yankees fans have been shocked to know that we don't like DiMaggio, there has been an argument on whether what John Rocker did warrants the kind of treatment he receives, and there has been much discussion of Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. All important issues and when done correctly shows a large amount of perspective that you may not get anywhere else.

sure the thread sounds negative...but there has also been a lot of positive that has come from it.
    No, dude. I was assuming the word hate meant, you know, what it means...

But, after reading the post I quoted, it occurred to me that maybe it wasn't always being used that way.

If so, it has been a waste of my time responding. But, that would also mean I got into the discussion because people were either willfully or accidentally miscommunicating.

Some people though truly did express hate. One post referred to wishing death upon certain players.

I don't know how I become the bad guy for claiming people should use words in a manner that is consistent with their definition...

Leave a comment:

• sturg1dj
    replied

Leave a comment:

• digglahhh
    replied
    Originally posted by Urbanshocker13 View Post
    I agree about DiMaggio, he was actually a big jerk especially after he retired, and especially too Mickey Mantle and Marilyn. But, hell Ted Williams was a bit of a jerk too, I still don't hate either of them.

I understand, I know you Bosox and other team fans don't hate Ruth, Gehrig and company. Like Ted Williams, I think he is the 2nd greatest hitter of all time I don't hate him but I would root against him too if he played now. I wrote that mainly to see what Jerseysoxfan would say. why? Because he says some of the most ridiculuos things and is usally hilarious! He makes the board that more entertaining.
    Is this how the word "hate" is being used here (not by you, UrbanShocker)? It sort of seems so.

Are people just claiming they "hate" the stars on the rivals of their teams? You can root against somebody and not hate them. You can even root against somebody and be a huge fan. It seems like "hate" is being used as a synonym for "root against." If so, that's just an egregious misapplication of language. Soxson and the other English teachers on this board would be ashamed...

I'm not a Laker fan, per se. I'm a Knick fan, I adopted the Mavs as my black sheep stepchild after they flirted with the worst single season record of all time in 1992-93, so they are my second favorite team. When I watch them play the Lakers, I'm rooting against every single Laker. But Kobe Bryant is my single favorite athlete to watch in any sport, and when he sinks a fade-away three off the wrong foot with a hand in his face to give LA the lead with two seconds left, I have to sit back and say, "WOW!" and appreciate that I am watching greatness on a scale that one rarely sees. Like I said before, looking back, I don't hate Michael Jordan, instead I worship him!

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    "hating" expends too much valuable energy for my liking.
    i prefer to be indifferent.
    Not only that, the hater is the one with the problem. The one they hate is just going through life as it should be.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    "hating" expends too much valuable energy for my liking.
    i prefer to be indifferent.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by hellborn View Post
    Clipper was widely disliked as a younger player, especially for his holdouts. There is an article about him from LIFE early in his career that has to be seen to be believed...it actually calls him a "Dago", refers to his "squirrel teeth", and claims his rise is a testament to the value of shiftlessness in baseball.
    I think the attitude started to shift to general reverence after the hit streak and the war.
    Today some are a bit to touchy, everyone seems to be offended, some justified some silly.

What was said about Dimaggio would never fly today. I have the article saved some where. Some words that I can remember " He (Joe) does not keep his hair slicked down with bear grease and he does not reek of Garlic." Strong words and believe it or not this was printed in a popular magazine, either Look or Life either late 30s or early 40s.

During the war because Italy sided with Germany Joe's father's livelyhood as a fisherman was hurt. Because he was Italian and came from Italy he was suspect in the eyes of the US government. He was restricted, limited to fishing only so far out to sea because our governmant thought he might be receiving coded messages or passing them on (by radio) from or to German ships on the high sea.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    I hate the romanticized ideal of past players, and society in general. Like the "innocent" Lilly white 1950's ideal. From what my parents told me and what I have learned about the 50's and before then they weren't that great!they always put older players on pedestals.
    Not that unusual Hellborn, we usually find out things, events after they happen. Many times the past seems better than the present. I've seen it myself, my parents talking about how things were better in their days and guess what, I'm doing the same. I guess some day my young son will do the same.

On the topic athletes of years ago and today many times fans will gravitate, praise those in their time some justified some not, not a bad trait just human nature. I'm not very critical of their ways because I am sure some from this generation will think the same way.

Wouldn't be surprised to find some young fans from today, older 40 years from now debating with younger fans, players from their time 1990s-say 2015 to players active around 2030-2045.

That young fan of today older in 2045 will be debating the young fan of that time. You know what he's going to say some of them, they were better in my time...... you never saw AROD, Pujols and the rest, they would pound these pitcher in todays game, they were great.

One thing we don't realize, the players of today will in time be the players of the past and then the debate goes on.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Mantle got allot of crap early on, not for being a drunk but not being DiMaggio! DiMaggio did always get a pass, he was always treated like he was perfect when he was really a bit of a jerk. Mickey seemed like an all right guy besides the drinking until he got a little older after he stopped playing and his drinking and bitterness got to him. If you are going to hate a player for being a drunk or cockey, you aren't going to like too many players.
    Clipper was widely disliked as a younger player, especially for his holdouts. There is an article about him from LIFE early in his career that has to be seen to be believed...it actually calls him a "Dago", refers to his "squirrel teeth", and claims his rise is a testament to the value of shiftlessness in baseball.
    I think the attitude started to shift to general reverence after the hit streak and the war.

Leave a comment:

• Urbanshocker13
    replied
    my problem with Mantle was not as much the man or player; but more his lasting image among the masses which is not at all his fault. He is portrayed as the all-american guy. As a kid I read i biography on him that didn't include his drinking at all. This image hurts today's players who are held up to impossible false standards.

during last seasons football offseason we heard all that is wrong with today's athlete even though they were doing things that others have done before them.

Drinking Problems are bad...the idea of alcoholism is a relatively new idea

battering wives is horrible....but it has only been criminalized for around 20 years now

even dog fighting...hate it...but 20 years ago it was legal in many states.

so to say that athletes before today were better is crazy

what I hate is the romanticized idea of the golden age athlete and the all American kid which is Mickey Mantle.
    I hate the romanticized ideal of past players, and society in general. Like the "innocent" Lilly white 1950's ideal. From what my parents told me and what I have learned about the 50's and before then they weren't that great!they always put older players on pedestals.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎