Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris from NY
    replied
    It just isn't baseball season without Kerry Wood going under the knife.

Leave a comment:

• Zito75
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    There won't be any $15m+ closers around anytime soon, but since Wood's case is more serious than Pedro, it may be worth a shot for him to close.
    Hmm. This sounds right up the Yank's alley. Maybe he can be a setup man for Rivera.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by E.Banks#14
    How can you say that? Wood hasn't had a save opportunity in his career. Dempster, on the other hand, has 35 saves in 37 career opportunities.
    I'm not sure how well Kerry can work in the 9th, nor warm up quickly, including coming into the middle of the 8th inning when the setupman didn't do his job properly.

Still, I've heard some starters suggested for closers. Pedro was the prime example, as during his Boston years, several Yankee fans I know of felt that his endurance level was questionable at times.

There won't be any $15m+ closers around anytime soon, but since Wood's case is more serious than Pedro, it may be worth a shot for him to close.

Leave a comment:

• E.Banks#14
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJ
    Healthy Wood as a closer > healthy Dempster as a closer.
    How can you say that? Wood hasn't had a save opportunity in his career. Dempster, on the other hand, has 35 saves in 37 career opportunities.

Leave a comment:

• KingJ
    replied
    We've already got a Canadian starter turned closer... Ryan Dempster.

Healthy Dempster as a starter = injured-due-to-overwork Wood as a starter.
    Healthy Wood as a closer > healthy Dempster as a closer.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by rockin500
    Lets put it this way, if a football player can have it done (Dan Hampton being a notorious example) on a monday and be playing that sunday, i think Kerry will be jussssssst fine.
    Kerry Wood is no football player. I think golf or bowling should be more his style. If it took a football player one week to recover from this surgury, then expect Wood back in July. (sarcasm)

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied

If the Cubs can get 90 starts out of Prior, Z, and Wood, I think they should finish in 1st or a close 2nd in the NL Central.
    this is a hall of famer there that has shouldered the workload for the last two years

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    As if the Cubs didn't have enough injuries the last few years:grouchy

Leave a comment:

• Dontworry
    replied
    How sad that this guy can't stay healthy... die-hard Cubbie fans gotta be bangin' their heads against the wall with this dude.

But of course, I'm sure nobody is surprised...

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by GiantPickle
    Make him a closer!
    I agree. Might be the only way he'll be able to stay healthy for more than four games at a time.

Leave a comment:

• E.Banks#14
    replied

If the Cubs can get 90 starts out of Prior, Z, and Wood, I think they should finish in 1st or a close 2nd in the NL Central.

Leave a comment:

• KingJ
    replied
    Originally posted by GiantPickle
    Make him a closer!
    Worked for Eric Gagne.

Leave a comment:

• GiantPickle
    replied
    Make him a closer!

Leave a comment:

• rockin500
    replied
    Originally posted by Evangelion
    I knew it was going to happen again.
    actually this surgery puts him back to the original time table of mid-late april. He had been about a week ahead of schedule before this. Its basically pushing him back by one week.

In reality i wasnt expecting much until May 1, and hes still on schedule to be back before then.

Lets put it this way, if a football player can have it done (Dan Hampton being a notorious example) on a monday and be playing that sunday, i think Kerry will be jussssssst fine.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    I knew it was going to happen again.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X