Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moises Alou says "I wouldn't have caught it anyway"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...00.years.2410/

I didn't have the heart to tell DePorter this story, but last June, my two sons and I got into an elevator at Macy's department store in midtown Manhattan at the same time as Moises Alou and two friends. Alou was playing for the Mets, but on the disabled list at the time. Someone mentioned Chicago and the conversation turned to the Cubs.

"Everywhere I play, even now, people still yell, 'Bartman! Bartman!' I feel really bad for the kid,'' Alou said, shaking his head.

"You know what the funny thing is?'' he added a moment later. "I wouldn't have caught it, anyway.''

My older son, who was wrenched from my arms and converted to Cubdom when he was still little, was leaning against the opposite wall.

"Sure you would have,'' he blurted out, looking straight at Alou. Then he put his head down, stared at his shoes and said nothing the rest of the ride.
    :noidea OK, who believes Alou is telling the truth?

I thought at the time that was definitely a possibility.

In any event, blaming Bartman is like blaming the black cat. He is only the vessel through which older, darker powers are manifested. :cap:

Comment

Well, the clip is still available. It's a matter of perspective. Some people think that Alou surely would have caught the ball. Others believe that it would have been foul anyway. Even if he had caught it, who knows what would have happened after that?
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Bartman probably wouldn't be such a scapegoat if Alou didn't flip his lid.

Comment

<I didn't have the heart to tell DePorter this story, but last June, my two sons and I got into an elevator at Macy's department store in midtown Manhattan at the same time as Moises Alou and two friends. Alou was playing for the Mets, but on the disabled list at the time. Someone mentioned Chicago and the conversation turned to the Cubs.

"Everywhere I play, even now, people still yell, 'Bartman! Bartman!' I feel really bad for the kid,'' Alou said, shaking his head.

"You know what the funny thing is?'' he added a moment later. "I wouldn't have caught it, anyway.''>

Too bad moron couldn't have said that, oh, FOUR YEARS ago
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post

Too bad moron couldn't have said that, oh, FOUR YEARS ago
            And what good would that have done? There would have been people who would have insisted that Bartman interfered with the ball. I will believe that there would have been less, but there are some nuts out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule View Post
              Bartman probably wouldn't be such a scapegoat if Alou didn't flip his lid.
              ... huh? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                And what good would that have done? There would have been people who would have insisted that Bartman interfered with the ball. I will believe that there would have been less, but there are some nuts out there.
                So it's not good to even TRY to help someone out? :noidea:disbelief:
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

So it's not good to even TRY to help someone out? :noidea:disbelief:
                  Okay, then obviously, he was just trying to make the Cubs fan feel better by telling a white lie. The way he acted at the game tells me he thought that he would have caught the ball.

Comment

... huh? I don't get it.
                    He's saying that less people would have blamed Bartman if Alou had remained calm
                    Originally posted by bhss89
                    "Hi. My name is John. I'd like you to meet my fastball. Can you catch up to it?
                    Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
                    Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
                    Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

Comment

Okay, then obviously, he was just trying to make the Cubs fan feel better by telling a white lie. The way he acted at the game tells me he thought that he would have caught the ball.
                      given the situation, time, and place, Alou acted out because of just that. I don't believe we can say he would have caught the ball. We can say the cubs themselves gave away numerous outs in that inning.
                      I hope the guys in the article didn't get close enough to Alou's pee stained hands!
                      Last edited by holyroman; 03-31-2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by holyroman View Post
                        We can say the cubs themselves gave away numerous outs in that inning.
                        OP, I hope none of you got close enough to Alou's pee stained hands!
                        Are you saying the Cubs really p***ed away their chances?

Comment

Are you saying the Cubs really p***ed away their chances?
                          I'm alluding to the fact that M.Alou has admitted to peeing on his hands before every game to help with callusses. google it.
                          And yes I am, and they did.

Comment

Originally posted by holyroman View Post
                            I'm alluding to the fact that M.Alou has admitted to peeing on his hands before every game to help with callusses. google it.
                            I'm all too aware of it. It's not something one forgets easily h:dismay::disbelief:

Comment

I don't believe him. If he didn't think he was going to catch it, he wouldn't have flipped out.
                              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X