Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN "expert" picks

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/previe...=08expertpicks

No one for Pujols for MVP (one picked Derrek Lee)
    TWO guys think the Cubs will go all the way
    Two guys for Teixeira for MVP, one for Torii Hunter
    One for Vazquez for Cy Young
    One thinks the Brewers will win their division
    Has the world gone ?
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post

Has the world gone ?
    Come on, Teixeira for MVP isn't THAT crazy. Neither is the Brewers winning the division. The other things... they're pretty crazy.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

If the Braves do well, then I could definitely see Teixeira getting some MVP consideration. And the Brewers could very well win the NL Central. The Cardinals won't, the Astros probably won't, the Pirates sure won't, the Reds are managed by Dusty Baker, and the Cubs... might.

The rest though... h

Comment

According to FJM, Pedro Gomez had the Cubs winning the AL wildcard for a while. Now it's been changed to the much more sensible... White Sox.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scoops View Post
          According to FJM, Pedro Gomez had the Cubs winning the AL wildcard for a while. Now it's been changed to the much more sensible... White Sox.
          There comes a time when the so-called experts need to lose that label. Or a so-called editor needs to lose their title. That's pretty bad to list Gomez's picks like that, nearly as bad as picking the Chisox to pass up a number of teams who have no reason to be worse than the White Sox of the last couple years.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
            There comes a time when the so-called experts need to lose that label. Or a so-called editor needs to lose their title. That's pretty bad to list Gomez's picks like that, nearly as bad as picking the Chisox to pass up a number of teams who have no reason to be worse than the White Sox of the last couple years.
            Yeah, I know nothing about the AL West, but just between the East and the Central, I have the White Sox as possibly the seventh best team (Red Sox, Yankees, Jays, Tigers, Indians, Twins - maybe). To get the WC would seem to require an inordinate amount of catastrophic failures.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post

Has the world gone ?
              Pujols might need elbow surgery so that's not stupid. Cubs could win the WS. Teixeira is a good player entering his prime. Hunter is a stretch. Vazquez is dumb. He's not even a top 5 pitcher in the leauge. Brewers can win the division. They have a good lineup, excellent middle relief (their 8th/9th inning relief suck though). The Cubs are a bit overrated.
              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

I surprised that the Cubs have all but two picks. They really didn't really add anyone to their 85-win team.
                Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Wonder how much of their own cash these so called experts lay down on bets with their picks. Like they say, money talks not the BS.

Comment

has any of these "So called experts" ever gotten their predictions correct at the beginning of the season? that's exactly why I don't take much of what they say to heart......

Comment

Jorge Arangure Jr. has the right World Series matchup, wrong result. Rob Neyer probably comes closest of anyone. He has the right WS winner and a team that has a fine shot at taking the ALCS.
                      1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

1889 1890 1899 1900 1916 1920
                      1941 1947 1949 1952 1953 1956
                      1966 1974 1977 1978

1983 1985 1995 2004 2008 2009
                      2013 2014

1996 2006

Comment

Originally posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
                        I surprised that the Cubs have all but two picks. They really didn't really add anyone to their 85-win team.
                        they added fukodome, who should be a plus over what they had in RF last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
                          Wonder how much of their own cash these so called experts lay down on bets with their picks. Like they say, money talks not the BS.
                          just so you know, vegas has them pretty close to even money for making the world series, and something like 7 to 2 to win it.

Comment

I remember Peter Gammons picking Bobby Crosby to win the MVP one year.

That's crazy.

Comment

As to Pujols, he's been needing elbow surgery for a while now. If the Cards fall out of contention early, which is likely, he may have elbow surgery.
                              "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X