2008 Cy Young Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peavy/Verlander.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Santana or Peavy in the NL and Justin Verlander in the AL.
      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

i agree. penny looked awesome against san fran yesterday. i would've included him but i didn't think of him as a Cy Young. and it is a little too early to be saying he will have an awesome year. sure he looked great yesterday, but in his next start, he could crap on himself. Livan Hernandez looked great too but he may crap on himself the next game as well. We'll wait until he has 5-7 starts and then make a prediction on what type of year he is going to have.
        "I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can." - Babe Ruth

Comment

Gotta go with Peavy in the NL. If there's a guy who can handle Santana's hype and still get the job done it's Jake.

In the American League, it's hard to say. My heart says Beckett but I'd like to see it play out for awhile. For now, I'm actually going with what might be considered a dark horse: Erik Bedard is playing in front of a better defense than he ever has done before and he's got to be more confident of a win when he goes out in a given game than he was with the O's. I suspect we might see him take another huge step forward provided (and this is a BIG if!) he can stay healthy enough to log 200 innings.

Another very distinct possibility that I don't see anywhere on this list: Scott Kazmir. If he can recover from his elbow problems and still log 200 innings, and the Rays win more games than they lose, he's going to be a big reason why and might get a nod from sportswriters who are sick of the Boston/NY feudal turf war over the AL East..
          Last edited by Imgran; 04-01-2008, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
            Gotta go with Peavy in the NL. If there's a guy who can handle Santana's hype and still get the job done it's Jake.
            How does Santana's hype have any effect on Peavy?
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Johan Santana, even though he's only had one start, his debut with the Mets in Florida yesterday was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by DWick53 View Post
                Johan Santana, even though he's only had one start, his debut with the Mets in Florida yesterday was incredible.
                agreed. he was good.
                "I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can." - Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                  How does Santana's hype have any effect on Peavy?
                  Is the CY or is it not determined by sportswriters? I dunno, you tell me why sportswriters might pay more attention to excellent pitching on the east coast rather than the west coast. winning the CY is very often a triumph of hype over substance and your west coast pitchers are very often afterthoughts on the Eastern Sports Network.

Unless someone else does something truly special all Santana has to do to get a CY this year is probably keep his ERA below 3.5, stay healthy all year and have his team make the playoffs. The player I trust most to actually be the guy to topple Santana's casual coronation as NL CY is Peavy.
                  Last edited by Imgran; 04-02-2008, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Only for the beginning.... after a few days of the season I used my math /CYP/ and this is the result:

Code:
                    AL Cy Young
                    1.Kevin Millwood	Rangers
                    2.Rich Harden	        Athletics
                    3.Livan Hernandez	Twins
                    4.James Shields	        Devil Rays
                    5.Erik Bedard	        Mariners

NL Cy Young
                    1.Jake Peavy	        Padres
                    2.Brad Penny	        Dodgers
                    3.Ben Sheets	        Brewers
                    4.Carlos Zambrano	Cubs
                    5.Johan Santana	        Mets
                    of course, seems like a joke, especially for the AL Cy.
                    Last edited by Zagi-CRO; 04-02-2008, 05:57 AM.
                    The Voice of Croatia - Glas Hrvatske

Comment

Santana and Felix Hernandez
                      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by Zagi-CRO View Post
                        Only for the beginning.... after a few days of the season I used my math /CYP/ and this is the result:

Code:
                        AL Cy Young
                        1.Kevin Millwood	Rangers
                        2.Rich Harden	        Athletics
                        3.Livan Hernandez	Twins
                        4.James Shields	        Devil Rays
                        5.Erik Bedard	        Mariners

NL Cy Young
                        1.Jake Peavy	        Padres
                        2.Brad Penny	        Dodgers
                        3.Ben Sheets	        Brewers
                        4.Carlos Zambrano	Cubs
                        5.Johan Santana	        Mets
                        of course, seems like a joke, especially for the AL Cy.
                        Naturally. That's why they don't give out awards for one game. Peavy being a contender for the Cy Young Award is no joke, though.
                        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

In the American League, it's hard to say. My heart says Beckett but I'd like to see it play out for awhile. For now, I'm actually going with what might be considered a dark horse: Erik Bedard is playing in front of a better defense than he ever has done before and he's got to be more confident of a win when he goes out in a given game than he was with the O's. I suspect we might see him take another huge step forward provided (and this is a BIG if!) he can stay healthy enough to log 200 innings.
                          Actually, I was thinking Bedard might get it, for the reasons you said, but also because he's now in a more pitcher friendly ballpark. Some of the voters won't take that into consideration while voting. Also, with the Angel's two biggest SP seriously hurt, I think the M's have a good shot at winning the West, which helps a bit.

Santana and Felix Hernandez
                          As much as I'd love for Felix to be that good, I don't think he's there yet. But if both Felix and Erik are in the running for it, I'll be a happy camper .
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

"Is the CY or is it not determined by sportswriters? I dunno, you tell me why sportswriters might pay more attention to excellent pitching on the east coast rather than the west coast. winning the CY is very often a triumph of hype over substance and your west coast pitchers are very often afterthoughts on the Eastern Sports Network."

You mean like when they awarded that guy Johan Santana on the Minnesota Twins two Cy Young Awards?
                            "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                            -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I think Verlander will win. The voters love win totals and he should lead the league in wins with a good amount of Ks and a good ERA. The voters fall for stats like Ws over any other stat.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                                Is the CY or is it not determined by sportswriters? I dunno, you tell me why sportswriters might pay more attention to excellent pitching on the east coast rather than the west coast. winning the CY is very often a triumph of hype over substance and your west coast pitchers are very often afterthoughts on the Eastern Sports Network.
                                That's why Josh Beckett beat out CC Sabathia last year, right?
                                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X