No announcement yet.

2008 Cy Young Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is Chien Ming Wang in this thread? He should be leading number 1 in the polls.
    20001999199819961978197719621961195819561953195219511950194919471943194119391938193719361932192819271923

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballRookie View Post
      Where is Chien Ming Wang in this thread? He should be leading number 1 in the polls.
      Must be because a lot of people on this board understand that he's not as good as most of these guys and that taking a small sample size like 2-3 starts and running with it is pretty ignorant. And maybe because this isn't a board completely populated by homer Yankee fans.

.... just a guess though.
      Originally posted by Domenic
      The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
        Must be because a lot of people on this board understand that he's not as good as most of these guys and that taking a small sample size like 2-3 starts and running with it is pretty ignorant. And maybe because this isn't a board completely populated by homer Yankee fans.

You're an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
          Verlander at 0-2/6.52ERA is going to have a tough go of it now.
          He's pitched less than 12 innings. If he goes out and pitches a shutout next start, his ERA would drop below 3.50.
          "All shortstops can dance...Derek Jeter is a fullback with power and speed. Jose Reyes is a tailback with speed and quickness"-"analysis" of the New York shortstops' defense by the genius that is Joe Morgan

Comment

I must have been mistaken. I thought this thread was all about predicting who would win the CYA. Which likely means, "taking a small sample size like 2-3 starts", and predict whether or not a pitcher would win the Cy Young award. So I guess in your eyes, the people who are posting stats of pitchers, and predicting how much wins they will total, or if their earlier prediction were right or wrong is "pretty ignorant". Also, I could've sworn that this website were populated by homer Yankee fans. I guess next time, I won't base my opinions on just 2 or 3 Yankee fans because that would be pretty ignorant.
            20001999199819961978197719621961195819561953195219511950194919471943194119391938193719361932192819271923

Comment

NL: Johan Santana
              AL: Daisuke Matsuzaka

Comment

Originally posted by jsmets92 View Post
                He's pitched less than 12 innings. If he goes out and pitches a shutout next start, his ERA would drop below 3.50.
                Yeah, like those are a dime a dozen. Big if.

edit: Verlander has now pitched 19&1/3 innings for that 6.52 ERA. Rough start but he should come around. Even with a complete game shutout his ERA would be 4.61
                Last edited by Old Sweater; 04-12-2008, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
                  Yeah, like those are a dime a dozen. Big if.

edit: Verlander has now pitched 19&1/3 innings for that 6.52 ERA. Rough start but he should come around. Even with a complete game shutout his ERA would be 4.61
                  I'm not saying that he is going to go out and throw a shutout, but with a few good starts, his ERA will plummet.
                  "All shortstops can dance...Derek Jeter is a fullback with power and speed. Jose Reyes is a tailback with speed and quickness"-"analysis" of the New York shortstops' defense by the genius that is Joe Morgan

Comment

although I don't think he'll win, (I think santana will) how can you put joba on that list who is a reliever and not have john main on it who won 15 last year and had a phenominal spring, sure he is off to a slow start but that could easily turn around

Comment

Originally posted by deroku703 View Post
                      how can you put joba on that list who is a reliever and not have john main on it who won 15 last year and had a phenominal spring, sure he is off to a slow start but that could easily turn around
                      That's what I'm screamin!
                      Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Ryan View Post
                        You're an idiot.
                        And it only took 3 words to out yourself as one of the people I was talking about. Good diss though. Ouch.

Originally posted by BaseballRookie View Post
                        I must have been mistaken. I thought this thread was all about predicting who would win the CYA. Which likely means, "taking a small sample size like 2-3 starts", and predict whether or not a pitcher would win the Cy Young award. So I guess in your eyes, the people who are posting stats of pitchers, and predicting how much wins they will total, or if their earlier prediction were right or wrong is "pretty ignorant". Also, I could've sworn that this website were populated by homer Yankee fans. I guess next time, I won't base my opinions on just 2 or 3 Yankee fans because that would be pretty ignorant.
                        No, predicting who will win the Cy Young award shouldn't be based on the first couple starts of the season. There are some homers as yourself on the site, but most of the guys in the Yankee forum aren't dense -- as opposed to the people I was talking about.
                        Originally posted by Domenic
                        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

And it only took 3 words to out yourself as one of the people I was talking about. Good diss though. Ouch.

No, predicting who will win the Cy Young award shouldn't be based on the first couple starts of the season. There are some homers as yourself on the site, but most of the guys in the Yankee forum aren't dense -- as opposed to the people I was talking about.
                          agreed
                          predicting is about the future
                          "I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can." - Babe Ruth

Comment

After Apr,22nd the best current starters /CYP/

Code:
                            AL
                                            CYP     W     L       ERA
                            Cliff Lee	7.83    3	 0	0.40
                            Zack Greinke	0.21 	3	0	1.24
                            Fel Hernandez  -0.62	2	0	1.47
                            NL
                            Ben Sheets	4.25	3	0	0.96
                            John Smoltz	3.37	3	0	0.56
                            Jake Peavy	3.00	3	0	1.20
                            CYP = (10*W-2*L + SO + IP - 30*(ERA+WHIP)) / GS/2
                            Last edited by Zagi-CRO; 04-21-2008, 02:47 AM.
                            The Voice of Croatia - Glas Hrvatske

Comment

Wang should at least be a choice. He has the most wins in the majors since 2005. He's usually in the top five in voting aswell. At the very least he should be a choice.

I'd take 17-20 wins and a 125 ERA+ from anybody.
                              "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

I will make a new one based on progression of the season.
                                Last edited by dbacksfan95; 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM.
                                "I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can." - Babe Ruth

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X