Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Bowa Suspended 3 Games

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3326117

Here's a link to the YouTube clip of Bowa's freakout.

Code:
    LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers third-base coach Larry Bowa was suspended for 
    three games and fined by the commissioner's office Wednesday following a 
    wild argument.

Bowa was ejected from Tuesday night's game against San Francisco in the 
    sixth inning by umpire Ed Montague, who had told him to keep within the 
    boundaries of the coaching box.

Bob Watson, baseball's vice president in charge of discipline, cited Bowa for 
    "inappropriate and aggressive conduct," which included making contact with 
    Montague several times.

Major League Baseball announced in late February that starting this year, 
    first- and third-base coaches must not cross the lines toward home plate or 
    the field until batted balls pass them. Only then can they take up other spots 
    to guide runners.

In November, general managers decided big league base coaches must wear 
    protective headgear this year, starting with exhibition games.

Double-A first base coach Mike Coolbaugh was killed by a line drive to the 
    neck last season.

Third-base coaches routinely stand much closer to the plate than the lines 
    permit, trying to get a better look at where outfielders are positioned.

"I did it all spring, nobody said a word," Bowa said after the game. "I did it 
    yesterday, nobody said a word. It's impossible to coach third and stay in the 
    box with a runner at second."

Montague said it was "probably one of the dumbest ejections he's had."

"We got a memo and an edict, and they're adamant about the box and stuff," 
    the umpire said. "Don't go up in front of the box toward home plate, and 
    don't get any closer to the foul lines. I told Bo in the bottom of the fifth, 
    because he got up close. And that's what caught my eye. And I just told him, 
    'Bo, you got the memo, we got the memo, and you've got to stay back.' I 
    went over and told Joe in-between innings what I told Bo. And Bo just said, 
    'I'm going to do it the way I've always been doing it.'

"I said, 'Bo, if you go up, I'm going to have to run you.' And he said, 'Do 
    what you've got to do, and it is what it is.' When he got up in front of it 
    again, I said, 'Bo, I told you once, now get back in the box.' He argued it, 
    and finally I said, 'You're gone.' So I gave him every chance in the book 
    and he defied it."

The ejection was Bowa's first since July 11, 2004, when he was managing 
    Philadelphia and got banished after arguing balls and strikes with umpire Rob 
    Drake. He was ejected 22 times during his four-year stint as Phillies 
    manager, and five times while piloting San Diego -- all in 1987.

One of those ejections with the Padres stemmed from his contention that New 
    York Mets pitcher Ron Darling had deliberately thrown at John Kruk after 
    Kruk had homered in his previous at-bat. Bowa's first ejection as a big league 
    manager came in his first home game with the Padres, after second base 
    ump Bob Engle ruled interference against baserunner Tim Flannery -- turning 
    a potential run into an inning-ending double play.

The previous year, Bowa's only one as a minor league manager, he was 
    thumbed five times with the Padres' Triple-A club in Las Vegas. Two of those 
    ejections were by Pam Postema, the first one for spitting in her direction 
    during an argument. The next one came a day later, followed by a 9-minute 
    verbal barrage by Bowa against Postema before going to the showers. Both 
    incidents led to consecutive suspensions from the Pacific Coast League.

The Dodgers are the fifth team Bowa has worked for as a third base coach, 
    along with the Yankees, Phillies, Angels and Mariners.
    sigpic
    Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Well, Bowa shouldn't have snapped at the umpire, and he kept on doing it. Had he pushed or assaulted him (i.e. punching), it would have been 10 or possibly 15 games for assault on a game official. I'd rather take three games out than take a 10-15 game penalty for one stupid move.

Comment

I don't understand why he flipped the hell out. There must've been somethng else goin' on.

Comment

Maybe it was the way he was approached by the umpire, but regardless, he was in the wrong, based on the rules and it was in the umpire's rights to speak to him. Bowa has a reputation as being a bit of a hot head from what I recall. Having seen the incident on TV, he simply lost it and deserves his suspension.

I have often wondered why the base coach boxes even existed because for as long as I remember the coaches were never positioned within the confines of the box. It seems that Bowa was doing as base coaches had done for the last umpteen years and took no notice of the edict which apparently came about this year! Seems it took the death of a base coach for this rule to be taken seriously.
        "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by hudsonharden View Post

Third-base coaches routinely stand much closer to the plate than the lines
          permit, trying to get a better look at where outfielders are positioned.
          Huh? how does walking a few feet towards the plate give you a different view of the outfielders. Bowa is just a loose cannon.
          Alcohol
          Tobacco
          Firearms
          should be a convenience store,
          not a government agency

Comment

the new rule makes little sense to me. but it is in effect and the umps have been instructed to enforce it strictly.
            bowa popped his cork, and i don't know why. things seemed fine up to that point. maybe we'll find out if something else was going on between him / the hated dodgers and montague.
            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

hudsonharden: Third-base coaches routinely stand much closer to the plate than the lines permit, trying to get a better look at where outfielders are positioned.

bazookadale: Huh? how does walking a few feet towards the plate give you a different view of the outfielders.

at times a coach's sightline of outfielders become impaired by infielders and runners. it makes sense for the coach to go nearer home plate than away from it, for a better perspective. admittedly this probably does not occur very often, but a team needs to have but one run not tallied (by way of inferior coaching) to raise a stink.

the added comment to rule 4.05 is that a coach must position himself no closer to home plate than the front edge of the coach’s box and no closer to fair territory than the edge of the coach’s box closest to the field until a batted ball passes him.
              what's a coach supposed to do when the ball is bunted, or popped up to the catcher? the coaches have been doing it a certain way for years, and there will probably be more infractions to come. we are creatures of habit.
              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
                at times a coach's sightline of outfielders become impaired by infielders and runners. it makes sense for the coach to go nearer home plate than away from it, for a better perspective.
                Seems to me one step will change a blocked view and you can step away from the plate as easily as toward it
                Alcohol
                Tobacco
                Firearms
                should be a convenience store,
                not a government agency

Comment

bowa popped his cork, and i don't know why. things seemed fine up to that point.
                  Of course things were fine...the umps weren't enforcing the rule, so Bowa was happy.

He's also PO'd that he has to wear a helmet.

Comment

bazookadale: Seems to me one step will change a blocked view and you can step away from the plate as easily as toward it.

agreed. that's exactly why i included for a better perspective.
                    the closer to home, the better the perspective of the entire field.

Comment

The rule is absolutely stupid. So long as the 3rd base coach stays around 3rd base and in foul territory, there should be no problems.
                      "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Why Dumb Down the Sport

I have griped about this for years already. Why have the coaching baoxes there if you don't need to be in them. The boxes and the rules have been there all along. They have simply made a point of making it enforced. And so why is everyone in a snit about enforcing the rules? It's just like when they started to enforce strikes above the belt. Everyone was in an uproar about that as well. I'm all for baseball enforcing the rules rather than dumbing down the game and lowering the bar just as our society seems to do with so many other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazookadale View Post
                          Bowa is just a loose cannon.
                          Has been for years. I liked how the announcers were talking about the club on Opening Day. They were talking about how nice Torre can be to the men because he has his enforcer Bowa, "who does care one iota about jumping in someone's face" to paraphase.

Comment

this probably does not occur very often, but a team needs to have but one run not tallied (by way of inferior coaching) to raise a stink.
                            I think it would be just fine if base-coaching was a little more "inferior"... and runners had to rely on their own devices just a bit more.

the added comment to rule 4.05 is that a coach must position himself no closer to home plate than the front edge of the coach’s box and no closer to fair territory than the edge of the coach’s box closest to the field until a batted ball passes him.
                            what's a coach supposed to do when the ball is bunted, or popped up to the catcher?
                            I think it would be just fine if base coaches were held inside their boxes at all times.

Comment

re-creation of Larry Bowa's meltdown ---> :grouchy

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X