Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royce Clayton

look at this...breathe it in

now explain to me how he lasted this long and how he is this close to 2000 hits.
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
    look at this...breathe it in

now explain to me how he lasted this long and how he is this close to 2000 hits.
    Well, the defensive stats on that page, for whatever they're worth, indicate that he's an above average defensive shortstop.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scoops View Post
      Well, the defensive stats on that page, for whatever they're worth, indicate that he's an above average defensive shortstop.
      yup, and thats always been what he is known for....but these days that usually doesn't get you much. its amazing...wherever he goes he tends to be a starter....is it just me or does he not seem like a starter?
      "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

The same reason this guy played 18 seasons in the majors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/belanma01.shtml
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          The same reason this guy played 18 seasons in the majors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/belanma01.shtml
          ok...good point

wasn't Belanger an elite SS???

Clayton is good, but is he an elite?

at the same time...Clayton is a much better hitter

but Belanger also played in a different era...this era is so pro-offense isn't it amazing Clayton has stuck around as long as he has?

-Bill James

Comment

He got MVP votes in years he hit .225 and .226.
            Originally posted by Domenic
            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

and let me reiterate that I have nothing against Royce Clayton...seems like a great guy and all...but it just amazes me he has lasted this long in this era!

-Bill James

Comment

He's still around to help the younger guys coming up. Like stated previously he's better defensive than offensive. Shawon Dunston was in the league for 17 years '85-'02 and some people thought he retired in the mid 90s.
                My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
                  ok...good point

wasn't Belanger an elite SS???

Clayton is good, but is he an elite?

at the same time...Clayton is a much better hitter

but Belanger also played in a different era...this era is so pro-offense isn't it amazing Clayton has stuck around as long as he has?
                  Clayton wasn't as good with the glove as Belanger but he was a better hitter. In his prime Clayton was an above average defensive SS. He did replace Ozzie Smith in St Louis, thought Ozzie was old by then.
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                    He's still around to help the younger guys coming up. Like stated previously he's better defensive than offensive. Shawon Dunston was in the league for 17 years '85-'02 and some people thought he retired in the mid 90s.
                    haha, of course Shawon was in the league so long because every year was the year he was finally going to put it all together

-Bill James

Comment

yesterday's Adam Everett?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X