What a weird Opening Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a weird Opening Week

Well, even though we have just started to look at the 2008 season, what a strange season it has been so far. Just start in the AL Central. Of all teams, the Kansas City Royals have lead since day one. An offense which some consider the best since the Big Red Machine or even Murderer's Row has been held winless. Moving east, the Red Sox and Yankees are trailing everyone else. And who would have thought that the NL Central would have the best division record in baseball. The only team that was in the playoffs last year that is leading a division is the Los Angeles Angels. I know it's early, but it still is a strange season so far.
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

yeah

we get to see just how fairweather my fellow Tiger fans are...I don't even dare goto the mlb.com message boards!
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
      yeah

we get to see just how fairweather my fellow Tiger fans are...I don't even dare goto the mlb.com message boards!
      I guess they weren't around 5 years ago.
      SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
      "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

What's really weird is the Rockies aren't even hitting at home so far. 10 or so runs in 6 games????

Comment

In two starts, Kyle Lohse has an ERA of zero (12 innings), while guys like Oswalt and Sabathia have ERA's of 6 and 7.5, respectively. Also, a guy throws 5 perfect innings, strikes out 10, and walks none in his MLB debut

It's been a weird week but still, you gotta love it!
          Originally posted by bhss89
          "Hi. My name is John. I'd like you to meet my fastball. Can you catch up to it?
          Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
          Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
          Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksilverfan12 View Post
            Also, a guy throws 5 perfect innings, strikes out 10, and walks none in his MLB debut
            Dang, who was this, I missed it h
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Johnny Cueto.

The O's are in first place!

Comment

I told my wife that if the AL East looked like this at season's end I would walk from Las Vegas to New York!! That is a weird looking ladder right now. Surely it is unusual this early in the season to have absolutely no undefeated teams anywhere across the country, and only 3 teams with just one loss?? And I was under the impression that the Tigers were one of the teams expected to be right up there at the business end of the season??
                "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Adding to the wierdness Roy Oswalt is 0-2 so far with 21 hits allowed in 12 innings.

Comment

Originally posted by mojorisin71 View Post
                    I guess they weren't around 5 years ago.
                    thats my point!
                    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Only 1 team went for a 3-0 start (is thats a record low?), and that was the royals. What were the odds of that!?
                      Who would have guessed the white sox would have the best offense in the AL so far while the tigers had the worst?

Comment

Orioles are now 6-1. Life is good...for as long as this lasts.
                        (And if the starting pitching comes around, this might last for a bit.)
                        4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

Comment

Originally posted by bigtime39 View Post
                          Orioles are now 6-1. Life is good...for as long as this lasts.
                          (And if the starting pitching comes around, this might last for a bit.)
                          All this without Erik Bedard.
                          SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                          "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X