No announcement yet.

Mike Piazza Going To The Yankees? (!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Piazza Going To The Yankees? (!!)

Gotham Baseball reports that the Reds aren't the only team considering signing NY Mets legend Mike Piazza -

http://gothambaseballmagazine.com/ya...the-bronx.html
    Last edited by AutographCollector; 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM. Reason: Fixed link

*you have to fix the link there is two letters after the "html"*

I honstly don't see this happening, I don't see where he would fit on the Yankees. Posada will be back behind the plate soon and Molina is a great backup catcher. They already have an over the hill slugger who can't field his name is Gambi. I don't see where he fits on the roster either, the yanks bench is Ensberg, Molina, Betimit(DL), Gonzalez,Moeller (3rd catcher for now) , and Duncan in the minors who will back up at some point. No room or need for Piazza. The Yanks need a longman not Piazza, that's might happen to Betimit traded for a longman that or calling up Rasner. I don't see why the Yanks would need or want Piazza at this point but they never stop surpriseing me.
    39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
    2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

I would think there are a lot of teams that would benefit from signing Mike Piazza. I just hope he plays somewhere this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Urbanshocker13 View Post
        *you have to fix the link there is two letters after the "html"*

I honstly don't see this happening, I don't see where he would fit on the Yankees. Posada will be back behind the plate soon and Molina is a great backup catcher. They already have an over the hill slugger who can't field his name is Gambi. I don't see where he fits on the roster either, the yanks bench is Ensberg, Molina, Betimit(DL), Gonzalez,Moeller (3rd catcher for now) , and Duncan in the minors who will back up at some point. No room or need for Piazza. The Yanks need a longman not Piazza, that's might happen to Betimit traded for a longman that or calling up Rasner. I don't see why the Yanks would need or want Piazza at this point but they never stop surpriseing me.
        Well...............I think the Yankees should go after Piazza. Keep in mind, he doesn't have to be catcher. But, he could be, considering Jose Molina can't stop a ball to save his life. Also, keep in mind the fact that Molina has litterally no power. His career high is six. What is the Yankees lineup made of? Power hitters. A-Rod, Matsui, Giambi (sort of), Posada, Abreu. All of those are great homerun hitters. Piazza is one of the greatest hitting catchers ever.

Something else to consider, is the fact that Piazza has been playing first base for a couple of years now. He doesn't have to be a back-up for Posada. Molina could keep that job. Some things to remember are...

1. Giambi is extremely injury prone, and will probably end up playing in about 55-70 games this season before he hurts himself again.

2. Duncan, Betemit, and Gonzalez are all liabilities. Seriously, Betemit hit .226 and four homeruns in 37 games with the Yankees last season. Shelley Duncan hit .257 with seven homeruns in 34 games. Gonzalez had a hit in 14 at-bats last season. Piazza, no matter how old, can still hit and he can play first base better than Giambi and his faulty legs can.

3. Jason Giambi's contract expires next season. I think it's pretty safe to assume that after hitting below .275 for the last five seasons that he won't be getting a new contract. Piazza will be 40 in September. Really, that isn't that old for a guy that could make a great living playing first base and being the designated hitter for some games.

4. The New York Yankees of the last decade have been built on...what? Veterans. Even going back to 1996, you had Wade Boggs (38), Darryl Strawberry (34), Tim Raines (36), Mike Aldrete (35), Jimmy Key (35), Steve Howe (38), and Paul Gibson (36). In '98 they had Strawberry and Raines again (now 36 and 38, respectively), Paul O'Neill (35), Chili Davis (38), and David Wells and Cone (both 35). Now, Jeter, Abreu, Matsui, and Johnny Damon are all 34, A-Rod is 32, Posada is 36, Pettitte is 36, Mussina is 39, LaTroy Hawkins is 35, Giambi is 37, and Mariano Rivera is 38. Piazza would fit in very well, he could teach the rookies about leadership and all that jazz. And plus, no matter which side of the tracks he is on, the people of New York love him and he loves the people of New York.

I honestly think that the Yankees should pursue Piazza for a one or two-year contract and let him play first and DH (maybe even catch a little?). He really doesn't ask for much money anymore because he knows he's not nearly as important to any team as he was.
        5,008 innings pitched, 13th all-time, most active
        355 wins, 8th all-time, most active
        3.16 lifetime ERA
        3,371 strikeouts, 10th all-time
        109 complete games, most active
        18 Gold Gloves, most all-time
        First to win four consecutive Cy Young Awards

He could throw a baseball through a lifesaver if you asked him!-Joe Morgan

Comment

I've heard that Brian Cashman has said that he wouldn't be doing this.

I don't know how well that Mike Piazza can catch, since if he could, he'd have been picked up by the Reds or another NL team by now.

I think that we've already got enough DHs on this team, such as Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon, all of whom also play position.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
            I've heard that Brian Cashman has said that he wouldn't be doing this.

I don't know how well that Mike Piazza can catch, since if he could, he'd have been picked up by the Reds or another NL team by now.

I think that we've already got enough DHs on this team, such as Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon, all of whom also play position.
            I agree. There's no reason to sign Piazza. He can't play any positions that well, and he's almost 40. Maybe he would fit with Tampa or Minnesota
            Originally posted by bhss89
            "Hi. My name is John. I'd like you to meet my fastball. Can you catch up to it?
            Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
            Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
            Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksilverfan12 View Post
              I agree. There's no reason to sign Piazza. He can't play any positions that well, and he's almost 40. Maybe he would fit with Tampa or Minnesota
              I think that two signings in the past 7 or so years have created huge infighting amongst Yankee fans. The first was when Jason Giambi was signed, since people knew he was a serious offensive upgrave vs Tino. However, Tino stuck by us and didn't even sign elsewhere (eventually with the Cards after McGwire declined) until Giambi signed with us. Where in pro sports do you have someone so faithful that they'll hold out hope to stay with us?

Now after the Clemens-Piazza thing, this would create another huge infight, I figure. While I can't fully defend Clemens for the bat-throwing thing, I'm not the only Yankee fan who doesn't like Piazza either. That whole press conference thing after the HBP in June 2000 made me someone who didn't want to have anything to do with him. His own teammate at the time, Mo Vaughn has been HBP much more often, and Derek Jeter gets hit quite a few times. No press conference, hwoever.

Let's just say that overall, I'm glad that we have other alternatives. In 60 more games, Hideki Matsui had a .855 OPS, compared to .727 for Piazza, and 25 dingers instead of only 8.

I think that signing Piazza would be seen as a "desperation" move by the Yanks, since he's only a big-named slugger past his prime, but in 2008, I don't expect many power numbers from him.

Do the Reds have a shortage of catchers why they're interested in him?

For the Rays, I remember their regular catcher, ex-Yankee farmhand Dioner Navarro went on the DL, but they've still got two catchers, Mike DiFelice and Shawn Riggans.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/team/ro...ve.jsp?c_id=tb
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

However, Tino stuck by us and didn't even sign elsewhere (eventually with the Cards after McGwire declined) until Giambi signed with us. Where in pro sports do you have someone so faithful that they'll hold out hope to stay with us?

Do the Reds have a shortage of catchers why they're interested in him?

For the Rays, I remember their regular catcher, ex-Yankee farmhand Dioner Navarro went on the DL, but they've still got two catchers, Mike DiFelice and Shawn Riggans.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/team/ro...ve.jsp?c_id=tb
                Well, currently the Reds have Paul Bako and Javier Valentin as their catchers. For Tampa/Minnesota, I was thinking more as a DH. DiFelice has hit pretty well, Riggans, not so much. Minnesota has Mauer and Mike Redmond, who's hit pretty well the last few years. Neither team's DH is that great, so Piazza could make a solid upgrade

As for your question about Tino, the answer is: Not very often. If you remember, he resigned with the Yankees in '04 or '05
                Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
                Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksilverfan12 View Post
                  Well, currently the Reds have Paul Bako and Javier Valentin as their catchers. For Tampa/Minnesota, I was thinking more as a DH. DiFelice has hit pretty well, Riggans, not so much. Minnesota has Mauer and Mike Redmond, who's hit pretty well the last few years. Neither team's DH is that great, so Piazza could make a solid upgrade

As for your question about Tino, the answer is: Not very often. If you remember, he resigned with the Yankees in '04 or '05
                  So how are the Reds' catchers doing? Were they looking for him as their 3rd catcher option who would pinch-hit a few times? Maybe if they're short on bench guys, he could pinch hit and catch in the 9th inning.

Piazza has mentioned his unwillingness to play 1B. I remember when Steve Phillips was the Mets GM, Piazza made a big stink in the press about his not being given advance notice about the team's intention to have him play 1B. If his arm wasn't that strong and guys were running the bases on him, why wouldn't he consider a switch? That seemed as if he was more concerned with getting the catcher's offensive titles, mostly HR record, than anything else.

Yes, Piazza could likely DH for Tampa Bay. They have Troy Percival closing and Eric Hinske plays 1B for them after two single-year stints in Boston.

Jonny Gomes is the Rays' DH, and his *2007* numbers are around what Piazza's 2007 numbers were, Gomes' 2008 numbers are 1.000 OPS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5860

I don't think that Piazza would be needed there, especially since he makes $1.275m this season. That is *DIRT CHEAP* for what he's hitting.

For Tino, ever since '96, I've considered him a Yankee. Even when he went to Tampa Bay, he said (on the post-game when the Yanks played TB) that he'd play the Red Sox really tough in an upcoming series. Guys like that don't grow on trees.

Comment

So how are the Reds' catchers doing? Were they looking for him as their 3rd catcher option who would pinch-hit a few times? Maybe if they're short on bench guys, he could pinch hit and catch in the 9th inning.

Piazza has mentioned his unwillingness to play 1B. I remember when Steve Phillips was the Mets GM, Piazza made a big stink in the press about his not being given advance notice about the team's intention to have him play 1B. If his arm wasn't that strong and guys were running the bases on him, why wouldn't he consider a switch? That seemed as if he was more concerned with getting the catcher's offensive titles, mostly HR record, than anything else.

Yes, Piazza could likely DH for Tampa Bay. They have Troy Percival closing and Eric Hinske plays 1B for them after two single-year stints in Boston.

Jonny Gomes is the Rays' DH, and his *2007* numbers are around what Piazza's 2007 numbers were, Gomes' 2008 numbers are 1.000 OPS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5860

I don't think that Piazza would be needed there, especially since he makes $1.275m this season. That is *DIRT CHEAP* for what he's hitting.

For Tino, ever since '96, I've considered him a Yankee. Even when he went to Tampa Bay, he said (on the post-game when the Yanks played TB) that he'd play the Red Sox really tough in an upcoming series. Guys like that don't grow on trees.
                    Well, Bako's batting .364 and Valentin's batting .235. Neither has made an error and they have a combined total of one passed ball. Runners are 5 for 7 in stealing (Although Piazza's not the guy you want throwing out runners). I guess they'd be interested in some power off the bench (So far, it doesn't look like they have much)

So, it doesn't look like there'd be a lot of takers. Possibilities might be:
                    Baltimore (Ramon Hernandez is batting .174)
                    Seattle (Jose Vidro, the current DH is batting around .200, and I think he'd be an upgrade over current backup Jamie Burke)
                    Texas (Once again, an upgraded backup)
                    Florida (An upgrade over any of their catchers)
                    Los Angeles (He'd be great off the bench, a better backup than Gary Bennett and a better hitter than Mark Sweeney)

All in all, I think he'd be best off at this point as a DH or a backup who can come off the bench who can start occasionally. However, is he willing to take a backup role?
                    Last edited by blacksilverfan12; 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I believe Paul O'Neill was the same way. It's not often a guy gets his name chanted by an entire outfield section

Comment

Hope to heck not. Great hitter but I just never have cared for the guy.

He was just a DH who spent his time on the field stinking it up at the catching position. IMO<<<<<<<<

Comment

I don't know why the Yankees would even half-heartedly consider this. Mike is a lousy catcher & a farce at first base. The only position he's suitable for at this time is DH. The one position these guys have way too many old, past their prime, players for is DH.

Having said that -
                          Now after the Clemens-Piazza thing, this would create another huge infight[/url]
                          The only three reasons to sign Piazza are;
                          1) It would be a nice way to put a nail in the coffin to Clemen's tainted era. Sort of like a big, bold period . This one only works if your one of those who feels cheated for embracing this guy.

2) Ex-Met stars were like a good luck charm for them way back at the end of the last century when they won all those Championships. Of course, you've got to be able to remember that far back and believe in superstition for this one.

3) You enjoy the thought of the Flushing Faithful crying in their coffee. This works if you're a heartless, misanthropic, SOB.

Comment

All I can think of is how much heat the Yankees took for bringing back Jose Canseco (and, to a lesser extent, Darryl Strawberry) at the end of the championship run a few years back.

If Piazza can still swing a good bat, someone will take a chance on him. You can never have too many bats on the bench.
                            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

From the Reds front, we have Paul Bako as the current starter with Javier Valentin as the backup. Valentin has a leg injury limiting his abilities. David Ross is currently on the DL making rehab starts in AAA. On another front, the Reds need a solid right-handed bat as it showed in Pittsburgh. Edwin Encarnacion has not been producing (4 times has left the bases loaded in 3 games), Brandon Phillips is great but there is only one of him and Jeff Keppinger is a contact hitter, not a power hitter.
                              Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X