Mike Piazza Going To The Yankees? (!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
    I don't know the reasoning why Bench moved, despite seeing once an ESPN SportsCenter on him and his then manager Sparky Lyle.
    Man, ESPN never gets anything correct, huh ?

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
      I thought you meant he should have moved to 1B when they acquired him.
      No, I don't remember their being any big issues about him not catching in 1998. I only remember that the Mets had Mookie's son, Preston Wilson in their farm, but he was used to trade for Piazza from Florida.

As to Mikey's defense, I remember that became an issue around 2001 or so. Between prospects coming up and his inability to throw out runners caused that. While Steve Phillips was never the most tactful GM out there (to say the least), he was still "the boss", even for an All-Star player who was the face of the late '90s and early '00 Mets.

During some Interleague game at Yankee Stadium (2002 or '03), I think that quite a few Yankee runners just jogged all over the bases and ran on him on the Saturday game, so they replaced him with Vance Wilson as backstop for the Sunday game, while Piazza DH'd.
      Yogi Berra playing the OF doesn't have anything to do with Piazza. And Piazza did play 68 games at 1B in 2004. So like Fonzie, he complained by played there anyway.
      I wouldn't say they were totally related, but I wasn't referring to specifically OF. I was saying that Piazza's not moving showed that he was more interested in the catching offensive records.
      As I had said though, they were playing multiple positions early on in their careers. Piazza played 2 innings at 1B until 2004 when they tried it.
      By "they", you mean Berra and Bench? Anyway, you're right, he did play 68 games at 1B in 2004, but only with a .806 OPS, .266 BA.
      Sorry, but you're coming off as being hypocritical. You're explaining reasons why Jeter shouldn't have moved from SS to CF, but aren't considering how a move from C to 1B is on a guy like Piazza who, like Jeter, played his career at one position.
      From what I remember of that CenterStage interview with Tommy Lasorda, Mike Piazza was a 1Bman in his Minor League career. Only when he'd been offered as a backstop did the MLB team accept him, since they hadn't needed a 1Bman at the time, so I don't believe it was a totally new thing for him, even after many years.

I also think that 1B is one of the least athletically challenging positions to play, since you have people who play there who can't move around too much. By contrast, if you can't move in CF, your team will lose quite a few games.

When Alex Rodriguez was acquired (Feb 2004), and that's what you'd said was when Jeter should've moved, we still had Bernie in CF, and the Yanks didn't even want to move Bernie. Hideki Matsui played CF for most of his time in Japan, but when he came to the Yanks, he moved to LF. Why? Bernie, that's why.

Only when Damon was acquired for the 2006 season did Bernie not play a full season in CF. In fact, Bernie actually played more games in RF than anywhere else, including CF. Link.

Either case, it was the Yanks' FO feeling that Bernie shouldn't move from CF for anybody, and only when it became painfully obvious was the move made. They also had the chance to get someone you should be well familiar with--Carlos Beltran--to replace Bernie in CF in 2005, but chose not to, taking a 41-year-old Big Unit instead.

I believe the fact remains that the Yanks' FO (and certainly not Joe Torre) never asked Derek Jeter to move out of SS, but Mike Piazza was asked by the Mets' FO to move from C to 1B.
      Kind of unfair to compare Piazza's 83 games from a season he missed half of because of a freak injury to less than 20 games. Look at the career lines of Gomes and Kubel. They do not suggest that they will maintain their solid hitting.
      I don't remember what the freak injury thing is all about, since I haven't followed Piazza in 2007. However, that was his last season so that's all I have to go by. I think that as a player ages closer to 40 (his DOB is Sep 4, 1968), their last season would be a good indicator of their value.
      Adding Piazza now would just create more issues with the DH spot. If they didn't though and had to choose from Duncan, Ensberg, and Piazza to be their righty DH, the most productive option would be Piazza.
      Yes, but I think this is forgetting several things. To my knowledge, the Yanks aren't in a need for a RH-hitting DH. Why waste a roster spot that could be used for a reliever or another bench player? This would just add another player who's in there for one purpose and one purpose only: to DH.

In Boston, they have a well-known DH, David Ortiz. Who has been the regular Yankees' DH? As long as I've known, it's been the "DH-du-jour" meaning we have a different one every day. If someone is hurt, can't field, he's the DH. The following can also serve as our DH, even if they're all lefties: Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon, Jason Giambi.
      He did play 68 games at 1B in 2004.
      True.
      He's one of the worst defensive shortstops in the game. They want to move him because of how awful his defense is. After Cabrera was traded, they were considering moving him to 3B but he said he wouldn't move.
      Why did he say that? To me, a young guy like this can't put his foot down and refuse to play. If the manager puts his name into the lineup and tells him "You're playing 3B today", he either plays 3B or takes a seat on the pine.

Remember Soriano, who wouldn't play LF for the Nats? He finally did this, and he had a lot more seniority than did Hanley Ramirez. Now he plays LF for the Cubs. Like Piazza, Soriano was in a position (2B) which hadn't been used to much offense, but he had a good bat (though obviously not of Piazza's career numbers). Either case, young guys shouldn't be able to put their foot down like this.

I didn't even like it when Bonds told Dusty that he was DHing at Yankee Stadium in 2002 (instead of playing LF), so my bias against this is obvious.
      Except Justin Morneau is there. You're quick to say "he should move to X". You're not considering what players play those other positions.
      So what's stopping Justin from moving to 1B? Has he ever tried it out? Is he unable to catch a ball thrown at him while standing up? Either that or darting quickly towards a ball headed towards RF?
      Those throws are different because you can put yourself in position to throw. The throw to 1B isn't long. Throwing out runners you have to quickly transition from the crouch to a throwing stance.
      The throws that a catcher are different from which position? From 1B is what you're saying?
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Ummmmm..........Can he pitch?
        39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
        2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

With the way the Dodgers hit this weekend, they could probably use him
          Originally posted by bhss89
          "Hi. My name is John. I'd like you to meet my fastball. Can you catch up to it?
          Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
          Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
          Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

Comment

With Frank Thomas on the market now it might hurt Piazza's job prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
              With Frank Thomas on the market now it might hurt Piazza's job prospects.
              Wouldn't this presume that only 1 out of 14 AL teams needs a DH/backup C?
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

IMO there are a lot of teams that could use either Frank Thomas or Mike Piazza. I just want to see them both playing this year.

Comment

Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
                  IMO there are a lot of teams that could use either Frank Thomas or Mike Piazza. I just want to see them both playing this year.
                  Which teams do you consider most likely to want their services? How much would you see their contract (pro-rated, of course) being for? Let's pretend that there's a May 1st start date.

Comment

Mets need a better catcher than Casanova. I'm hopeing for a return, but am doubtful it will happen.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X