Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets fan killed at Shea

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/ny...=1&oref=slogin

A 36-year-old man who was leaving a Mets game with his relatives at Shea Stadium in Queens on Tuesday night was killed after he fell over the side of an escalator and plunged more than 30 feet, the police and Mets officials said.

The man was identified by the police as Antonio Nararainsami, a father of two from the Cypress Hills section of Brooklyn who was attending the game with his young daughters and at least one cousin. With his two daughters trailing behind him, Mr. Nararainsami was walking down a still escalator near left field about 10 p.m. when he somehow went over the handrail and fell at least two levels to the floor of Lobby A, the police said.

He was taken to New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens, where he died, the police said.

It was unclear precisely what caused Mr. Nararainsami to go over the rail. But the police initially said he was sliding down the rail on his way out of the stadium when the accident occurred. Relatives, including his daughters, told several news organizations on Tuesday night that Mr. Nararainsami was not intoxicated and had simply lost his footing as he was walking down the escalator.

“He wasn’t moving or nothing, he was just walking down,” Mr. Nararainsami’s 12-year-old daughter, Emily, told ABC Eyewitness News in New York. “I guess he tried to say something to us or something, and I guess he just lost his balance and flipped over.”
    That's just terrible.
    sigpic

That is awful. My thoughts and prayers go to his family.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

I heard that last night on the News, I can't imagine what his girls must be going through. That is very sad, I can't even think of being a little kid and seeing your Dad die after being at a ball game.
      39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
      2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

This is very sad. But if in fact he was sliding down the stairs then I hope the Mets are no liable for this. I would think they'd have cameras around enough to catch what happened.

Comment

I remember seeing someone die at Michigan Stadium (heart attack) and wondering with all those people there must be quite a few people who have died here...and the same would go for most stadiums.

its a pretty morbid idea to be sure, but its also fascinating
          "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

That really sucks to hear, and it's too bad he had to pay with his life for doing something so stupid.
            WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Sometimes, there could be a fault in the escalator, resulting in such deaths, as what happened the other day. Nobody can be blamed for it, as it is accidental and not a direct fault.

May he rest in peace, and it wasn't his fault. He did lose his balance, and that has happened. My teacher from fifth grade had a similar incident four years ago at her home, and as a result, she's paralyzed for the remainder of her life. Accidents happen, you know.

Comment

It might have been an up escalator they turned off so there's more ways for fans to exit. I usually take a ramp by RF so I don't know.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

I stick to stairs, but there is one thing
                  But the police initially said he was sliding down the rail on his way out of the stadium
                  Is that true? Or a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
                    I stick to stairs, but there is one thing Is that true? Or a guess.
                    From someone who's been to Shea many times, falling over the escalator is a very hard thing to do without some provocation. But whether reckless, intoxicated or just a victim of circumstance, it is a sad tragedy in this last season of Shea Stadium.

Comment

They used to block the escalators after games, and I guess this is why. But I'll tell you, even just walking down those escalators can induce vertigo.

Here's a photo that shows how the escalators are set up at Shea...

(Photo taken April 10, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

wow i can't believe that... Thats a sad story....Prayers def. go out to the family and friends.
                        trusted traders: Rockhound,xholdourownx,Drillbit,Tebow15

Comment

I'm not going to say too much as it's a tragedy, indeed. I also don't know all of the facts... but sliding down the rail of an escalator that's probably 20-30 feet high over concrete? Just... wow. Pretty poor decision making there.
                          Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
                          In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X